News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Virtual cockpit on P3dV4.4 with EZCA and trackir via P3Dexternalsim

Started by marco744, Mon, 4 Feb 2019 09:33

marco744

Hi,

Was wondering if the above combination works with a VC like posky mega v5? I tried and the aircraft does not move to my PSX location and also the VC has vanished. What is the best combination VC via externalsim to P3dv4.4? Being able to move my head around a VC with my trackir and EZCA is my main goal. Is there a better VC then posky? Just looking for a general 747-400 VC the get the feel I am looking around from the flightdeck to outside and not bothered about external fuselage views that much.

Thanks in advance,

Marco

RRVyper

Marco,

I have successfully used the setup you describe. There was a bit of an issue getting EZCA v2 to work since it doesn't seem to scan the cameras when the aircraft.cfg file is set to Category=ExternalSim. It will come back and ask you for the path to the aircraft.cfg, but even then it didn't seem to parse the file correctly. I ended up creating just 2 cockpit cameras for left and right seat. I AM using the POSky 744. I find it best to use the 2D cockpit and remove the instrument panels, just leaving the outside view.

I actually use VisualPSX now as I found it was simpler to set up and didn't require modifying aircraft files (if I remember correctly).  :-\

Btw, to get the P3D aircraft to follow PSX, make sure you launch the programs in the correct order (P3D last).

Hope this helps.  :)

Randy

marco744

Hi Randy,

Thanks for your reply. I did manage to get it moving with pax eventually and able to pan around with trackir. The problem is there is no real reference point when panning around to steer to. I've not managed to find any VC like in fsx you had the default 747 VC. At least you get a feel what way you are looking at and not get that floating in mid air idea. I might try out visualpsx again cause externalsim doesn't seem to transfer weather to P3d from as16. Hope there will be a VC package soon, even a basic one without any moving dials would do for me.

Thanks again,

Marco

RRVyper

Hi Marco,

Perhaps I misunderstood what you were trying to achieve. For myself, I have a PSX layout, thanks to Will Cronenwett (http://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=1999.0), where one of the screens only occupies the lower half of the monitor, and the P3D visuals are in a window above. Is that what you mean? Another option is to have P3D in a full screen window, in a VC, which you can "sit in" to look around. I removed the panels in my setup since it was a bit strange panning the P3D view while PSX stayed still below (if you know what I mean).

As for a better VC, you could always find a payware 747 but you may need to drop the eye candy down for reasonable frame rates in P3D. Also, the model (PMDG comes to mind) may not like flying through the air without a full startup.  ;D

Now, it's time to test EZCA v3, which just came out.

Cheers!

Randy

marco744

Hi Randy,

That's my setup as well. 2 monitors, lower half psx, upper half P3d for visuals. In the P3d half is still like some sort of VC so when looking around the turns and airport I get a feel to where I am looking. I just like to have a reference point of where the nose of the plane is in regards to what side I'm facing. Tried posky but that VC seems to disappear when linked. A 3rd party buy is a bit expensive if I'm only using it for vc.

Thanks again,

Marco

RRVyper

Marco,

I have the POSky VC showing in the P3D window and can pan around without any issues. It actually looks good. You should also be able to create an EZCA profile by using the import camera option. Make sure you run the EZCA Config utility (you probably did) after adding the POSky aircraft to P3D. But, as I said before, EZCA seems to have issues with aircraft.cfg files Category set to ExternalSim, but it should ask you to locate the file manually. Once it imports the cameras, you'll probably find that the camera viewpoint is set far back from the VC and you'll have to edit the camera to move the viewpoint back inside the cockpit.

I would attach my camera file but I don't know how to do that (or even post pictures).

Randy

RRVyper

Marco,

Thanks to Hoppie, I have attached a screenshot of the VC as well as my EZCA v2 camera profile:

http://www.hoppie.nl/forum/var/B747-400_British_Airways_-_Alt._New_Livery_PSX.ezdcam

Hope this works.  :)

Randy

marco744

Hi Randy,

Thanks very much. I'll have a look at it as soon as I get a change. Really hope it'll work. Thanks for your time and effort! I'll let you know.

Best regards,

Marco

marco744

So I had a moment to quickly try before going away on holiday. It's great, your cam goes into the be flight deck! So it was a mislocation all this time. Now the vCard won't follow where psx is anymore so will have to find a fix for that now. At least I know how to get to vc now.

Thank you very much!

Marco

RRVyper

Marco, if you mean that P3D doesn't follow PSX, it may be that the livery you are using does not have the ExternalSimID={xxx} edit in the relevant fltsim.x section of the aircraft.cfg file. I had this problem myself and actually changed the applicable description variable to mention "PSX ExternalSim" so I choose a compatible VC when P3D starts.

But, using SimStarter makes things so much easier (once you get a handle on it).

Good luck!

Randy

marco744

Hi Randy,

You are my hero. That externalsimid did the trick! I finally had a moment to try it. Now I need to find the time to setup a nice little flight finally. Thank you so much for all your help!

Best regards,

Marco

RRVyper