News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

New variant of PSX_Tellurium available

Started by martin, Mon, 14 Jan 2019 10:32

martin

Greetings!

Steve Hose has created a variant of PSX_Tellurium with a less obtrusive user interface, and without the METAR-related stuff (which is now obsolete anyway*). Thanks! (Click here for a screenshot).

You can download Steve's variant here . The orginal variant is also still available.

Incidentally, Steve has also discovered that Cesium no longer supports the "STK World Terrain" which was used in PSX_Tellurium, esp. for the 3D views. Of course this mostly nullifies the whole idea of PSX_T as a "scenery generator". It can still be used as a moving map, though (and also for 3D views if you don't mind a flat Earth...).

[Moreover, my subjective impression is hat the "frame rate" (update rate of the map/view) has become horrible to the point of unusability, but perhaps that was always the case, and I just had too rosy-tinted memories of the past.  ;) ]

Cheers,
Martin
(slightly flattened)

* The METAR server used is no longer available, and its newer replacements do not allow the kind of access PSX_Tellurium requires.                   

Steve Hose

Thank you very much for your support Martin (and also to jcomm for some additional testing).

This alternative version provides support for anyone running PSX standalone and in need of a moving map. An example screenshot is below.

Regards, Steve.

Cbf

Hi Martin,

Thank you for this addon. When I run the JAR file, I get following message:
"Could not find the main class: psxEarth.CockpitKml3. Program will exit."
Maybe I am missing something...

Regards

martin

Hello Cbf,

are you starting the JAR file by double-clicking?

If so, please try starting it from a command prompt (see Manual chapter "Usage"), to check if it works at all.

Also, what is your Java version?

Cheers,
Martin

cagarini

Well,

thank you both, Martin who initially provided us with Tellurium, and now Steve who updated it.

I was able to test Steve's initial version and it just fits my old i5 2500, allowing me to completely forget the need for any external scenery generators. All I want is a smooth 2d Map view when at an airport, at the gate, being pushed back or parked, taxiing. I simply turn it off or set the view to 2nd plane as soon as airborne.

I am also grateful for Steve's excellent Layouts which I have now adopted after having used, for years, the default 1920x1080 that come with PSX.

Cbf

Hello Martin,

Thank you for your answer. I run PSX by doubleclicking on AerowinxStart Jar file.
I tried with the command prompt. Still not working.
Java version is 1.6.0_45-b06.
I will try home with an other computer.

Regards

martin

Hello Cbf,

Quote from: CbfI tried with the command prompt. Still not working.

Sad!  :-/
But what messages do you get in the Command Prompt window?

And which Windows version are you running?
(Some say that Win10 has special quirks regarding JAR files.)

Also, make sure the *.jar file type is really associated to Java and has not been shanghaied by some other application.
Probably not the case, as you do get a Java error message; but better to double-check.
You can also try right-clicking the JAR file and then use Open With... to make sure it gets sent to the "Java (TM) Platform SE binary".

This may (or may not*) also be a Java version issue. You should try to use JRE 1.7.

Cheers,
Martin

* There are many reports on the Internet about this problem that a Java application can be started from the command line but not by double-clicking on the JAR file. But there seem to be many possible reasons. In many cases the "manifest" file inside the JAR is named as the culprit, but that does not apply here as it would affect everyone. Version discrepancy is another possibility; but it is all a bit vague, and it seems strange that you can run the far newer PSX JAR files, but not the ancient one from PSX_Tellurium.

JohnH

Hi Martin and Steve

Thanks for the update to PSX Tellurium, I am using it on an iMac and runs very well with no impact on PSX frame rate!

I noticed in the picture posted by Steve that he has the PSX_T in front of the PSX display. When I try to do that and click on the PSX display the PSX_T screen moves to the background and is not visible. Is their a way to have PSX_T always on top?

John

martin

Quote from: JohnHIs their a way to have PSX_T always on top?

Well, for Windows, this three year old post might still help (do note the caveats).

Probably there is something newer* and probably also for (i)Macs, though...

Cheers,
Martin

* running in "The Cloud", no doubt, and phoning home every ten minutes.
(I'm not paranoid; I just had to install Office 365; merely for support purposes, mind you...)

Steve Hose

@Cbf:

Hi, I am running the latest JRE 1.8.0_201 under Windows 10 and have no issues. I could suggest completely uninstalling Java and then just install the latest JRE and see how you go. Neither PSX nor PSX_Tellurium require this 1.8.0_201, but it might fix any 'gremlins' with your Java install. Do you happen to also have the Java Development Kit installed as well? If so, try removing that too before you install the run-time environment. You may want to have a back up of an older Java version ready in case you need to roll back.

@JohnH:

Hi, there are many utilities to run windows on top in either Win 10 or OSX, some payware some free. In Win 10 I use DeskSoft WindowManager, which has a free trial period if you would like to try it. I'm not affiliated with it in any way, I use it because it allows me to configure options for many windows at once.

Regards, Steve.

Cbf

Hi Martin and Steve,

I have tried with my home computer. Seems to be OK.
It is certainly a problem of firewall, protection... with my office computer.
I will use PSX_Tellurium especially for taxi.
Thank you for your support.

Regards

cagarini

Well,

after trying the version linked above yesterday on two different computers, both Win 10, I noticed sutters that I didn't have before.

I also only use Tellurium while taxiing, pushback, ground ops in general, but for instance while taxiing along the very same taxiways I did the days before I am getting almost permanent stutters.

Have emailed Stephen about it, and will keep testing but! there is something in common to both PCs - they both got a Java and a Win 10 update. The Win 10 update occured 2 days ago, Java updated yestreday before my tests.

Will keep checking and trying to find what might be the quirk.

Chrome itself is also something to be "careful" with.... It can run in the background some heavy tasks that we might not be aware of... Would rather use Mozilla, but I believe Tellurium doesn't work well with it ( ? )

Steve Hose

Hi jcomm,

Try using task manager while everything is up & running to see if you can identify if a program or process that is hogging cpu cycles.

Chrome is known to eat cpu cycles. On my system, it is using typically 10-15% CPU when running Tellurium. PSX itself is only consuming 17-20%.

You could try running Tellurium using Firefox rather than Chrome, but I haven't tried this myself.

The other tip is to minimise the Tellurium belly cam window. Having the belly cam controls visible increases CPU usage from around 15% when minimised up to 30% when visible.

The other thing you could try is limiting the CPU affinity for Java. I found it runs better on my system when limited to 2 physical CPU cores. This is just a suggestion to try, not a recommendation.

Finally, Win 10 has a whole host of background 'features' than really should be turned off if you want a smooth running system but I will leave it to you to do some research on this, as it is trial & error.

Regards, Steve.

cagarini

Ok,

think I found ( ? ) the culprit - Win 10 + Java Update...

Have rebooted both PCs, and made sure they're both now on Java build 1.8.0_201-b09 ( 32 bit ) and tested with same results with the linked version in this thread and your original "beta-testing" version.

Smooth again, on both rigs.

Thanks!

EDIT: Confirmed to work also with Fireefox!

cagarini

Just a note to say how nicely Tellurium and PSX runways match.

I've completed a few flights already, between different airports in the World, and using the 2d ( Map ) view I can always precisely align my aircraft with the runways with Tellurium and PSX visuals matching exactly!