News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PSX does not start anymore....

Started by Frank Jacobs, Tue, 8 Jan 2019 14:53

Frank Jacobs

Dear Forum..
For some reason my beloved PSX refuses to start anymore while three days ago it ran flawlessy on my Win-7 laptop.
I have not changed a bit on this laptop, no register-or config changes only reading the newspaper and watching some YT vids including the Weird behaviour in PSX (GodAtum)
Eventually updated to the newest Java version 8 Update 191 this morning 8 jan....

I have PSX update 10.56

Not a real emergency for I have anoyher update on a desktop but a pitty because whem I am away from home I usually take this laptop with me.

Did anyone ever had the same the same experiance?

Best regards :-)

Frank

Hardy Heinlin

Hi Frank,

when did this problem first occur -- before or after your Java update?

What text is indicated in Aerowinx/Logs/errors.txt?

What effects do you see during your start attempt?

Regards,

|-|ardy

Frank Jacobs

Dear Hardy ,Geee That is quick... :)

First , I updated Java this morning ( hoping that would solve the problem..)
Aerowinx/log/errors: [Aerowinx Precision Simulator - Exceptions]
Effects start attempt.. nothing happens ....

Regards

Frank

Hardy Heinlin

Frank Jacobs

Hi..H.

Normally via a shortcut of the AerowinxSart Jar... Worked perfect...
Have also tried directly from the Aerowinx Folder A .Start but to no avail.....

Weird ....?

Regards

F.

Hardy Heinlin

Hi Frank,

regrettably, I have no idea at the moment. It must be something very simple. I don't think that something in the software has suddenly failed if it worked flawlessly before.

Do you have any further ideas regarding any (forgotten?) changes on your laptop?

Regards,

|-|ardy

cagarini

Windows 10 update caused some weird phenomena around here... Might it be the cause ?
OTOH, are you --> really! <-- sure you're not starting it with "Aerowinx.jar" instead of "AerowinxStart.jar" ?

Frank Jacobs

Hi Hardy....

Thank you for giving the matter a thought... just looked in the Win.update log ..it it making updates all the times , so it seemed...perhabs there was something wrong, but to figure That one out.... :-\
I have not changed one bit this year.....
The only thing I am thinking of is to replace the Aer.Start Jar by a new one from the CD-Rom
and to replace the Aerowinx 10.56  Jar by lets say the 10.54...
I do not see a point in replacing the Whole Aerowinx Folder....
If there is someone......

Hi Jcomm... It is for 200% certain that I use the AerowinxStart Jar.
....Unless some tiny little green men changed the names of Aer.Jar and Aer.Start Jar... ;)

Hardy Heinlin

AerowinxStart.jar has been created 2014 and there's no newer version.

Does the Windows update log tell you what exactly they have changed?

|-|ardy

Frank Jacobs

Hi....H

Yes ..I know...Mine is from 6 aug. 2014 ...but it might be corrupted by something

I looked in the upd. log...especially 4,5,6 and 7 jan.2019 but i am afraid  it is all '' garble garble " to me....

Frank Jacobs

Another thought if I may....

When double-clicking on the Aerowinx Jar file I get the message " please doubleclick on the AerowinxStart Jar to start the simulator ". So Java is still alive...I prefer to believe..
But why not the AerowinxStart Jar...?

Hardy Heinlin

To be sure your AerowinxStart.jar file is still intact:
Can you copy the AerowinxStart.jar file from the DVD to your Aerowinx folder (overwrite the existing file) and then double-click the AerowinxStart.jar file in your Aerowinx folder?

You'll find the AerowinxStart.jar file on the DVD in the "z" folder.

Frank Jacobs

Hi Hardy......

I did what you suggested but I am afraid that trick did not work....

Sorry...

F.

Hardy Heinlin

Has your laptop's available RAM decreased after one of your last Windows updates?

Frank Jacobs

That is a nice one.... Only 3 GB and I need at leat 4 ( page 9 Manual )
A nice little task for tomorrow....

Thank you so far and I will keep you posted...

Good night  :)

Fr@nk

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Windows Updates usually don't eat that much RAM. If you miss 1 Gb, I would first wonder about the physical RAM installed. Like, should you have 4 x 1 Gb banks, one of them gave up. Unseat all of them, reseat, try again.

At least you've found the most likely problem.

Hardy: I believe the AerowinxStart.jar is mainly there because the real thing needs to be started with specific memory switches in order to run; the Java VM needs nondefault settings. But the Start.jar can/will/must run with defaults. Could the Start.jar check stupid things like actual memory availability before firing off the real VM, and give meaningful messages?

Hoppie

Hardy Heinlin

AerowinxStart.jar starts the Java VM for Aerowinx.jar with this command:

java -Xmx500m -Djava.library.path=Interfaces -jar Aerowinx.jar

(It adds further parameters if AerowinxStart.jar is started with parameters, e.g. with "Captain.pref".)

I don't know of any initial error feedback possibility.

"Xmx500m" is the reserved memory for the VM. "Interfaces" is the folder with the audio and USB interface files.

|-|ardy

P.S.: There is already a memory check. It's in Aerowinx.jar. If the detected memory is less than 400 MB, that small yellow reminder window is displayed. This is actually one of several tricks to detect whether the user has clicked Aerowinx.jar instead of AerowinxStart.jar, because with Aerowinx.jar alone the required command to get more memory will not be set. I guess this check cannot be executed if the memory is too small to even start the VM for all Aerowinx classes in the first place. I'll try to add this check to AerowinxStart.jar for use as a memory test per se. On the other hand, you already know your memory anyway.

3 GB should be sufficient if no other big programs are running.

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Windows10 has a built-in app called "Resource Monitor". It produces graphs like the one below, where you can see how much memory you really have left for use.

Standby = has been used, but is no longer really used, only kept around just in case. Like if you want to start Word again, it still sits there. But it can and will be dropped if you need that memory for PSX.
Free = has never been used (since the last boot).

I do get situations where Windows screws up something and the vast majority of memory gets claimed by nonexisting processes and other nasty effects. Only a reboot solves this.

Hoppie

torrence

I think you guys are homing in on Frank's problem - memory allocation is a B**ch.  But before being too hard on Windows, remember the old days when Mac's had the user set memory allocations more or less manually if you were using a lot for a given program - our graphic designers for image intensive displays used to swear at that also!

One of the reasons I try to buy max memory on any machine I buy these days, if I can afford it.

Hope this gets working for Frank - unseated or dead chips are electronic versions of Murphy's Law.

Cheers,
Torrence
Cheers
Torrence

Frank Jacobs

Gentlemen, thank you very much for thinking this weird thing over.. but now i am also fighting a cold which started coincidentally at the same day when PSX refused to materialize on this ( old ) laptop..

QuoteWindows Updates usually don't eat that much RAM. If you miss 1 Gb, I would first wonder about the physical RAM installed. Like, should you have 4 x 1 Gb banks, one of them gave up. Unseat all of them, reseat, try again.

....Jeroen...not sure what you mean..

Greets

Fr@nk