News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

IRS DC FAIL

Started by emerydc8, Sun, 30 Dec 2018 23:20

emerydc8

This is a 767 question, but I think it should also apply to the 744 as well. I was in KSEA this morning and discovered, upon showing up at the plane, that someone -- probably one of the ground personnel -- turned the battery switch on and left the airplane overnight.

So the battery was down to 4v. Of course, maintenance suggested that because the AC and DC busses were powered via the ground power unit, it wouldn't be long before the battery was charged up. I wasn't optimistic at all. It's true that with external AC power connected, the battery bus is powered by the left main DC bus and the hot battery bus is powered by the ground service bus via the battery charger (similar to the 744 IIRC); but the battery itself is still dead and I'm not entirely convinced that a battery that has dropped down that low could even be charged. And even if it could be charged, I would have some concerns about overheating issues.

We don't have the luxury of seeing the battery voltages on the lower EICAS like you can on the 744. I guess that's the evolution you can see from the 767 to the 744. As pilots, we have no minimum voltages for dispatch because we can't even check them. It is strictly a maintenance function to display the data in the picture below.  Even then, I think it can only be displayed on the ground. So, I was sitting there hoping there would be something that prevented us from getting too far into the pre-flight setup with this very weak battery, because I really didn't want to take this thing into the air like this.

Sure enough, within a minute of turning the IRUs to NAV, I saw the DC FAIL on all three units. That ended the discussion and we wound up replacing the battery. But it got me wondering -- What voltage is the IRU looking for in order to satisfy its internal DC  test? Also, I'm not positive, but I think there is a minimum battery voltage required just to close the battery bus relay. Anyone have any info on this? I'm thinking the 744 is very similar. Thanks.

Jon

Mariano

Jon,

I recall reading that one of the conditions for battery charger shutdown to occur is sensed battery voltage of 4 VDC or less, which happened in your case.

I would guess that a good test to determine wether dispatch would be "safe" when maintenance gets pushy (without specific guidance regarding minimum battery voltage) would be to place standby power selector to BAT position. If you loose standby equipment, hold the hotel van, please. EICAS maintenance pages would be a much better option (although we are not allowed to touch them, unless it is to attempt to clear STATUS messages before dispatch).

Recently, during "peak season" with a mechanic onboard, we had an issue that triggered a STATUS message (can't recall what it was). We involved him in the discussion, after which he quickly displayed the related maintenance page in lower EICAS (in flight). Up until then, I also thought they could only be displayed on the ground.

When I get a chance, I will see if I can find the minimum voltage required to satisfy IRU ON DC test.

Regards,

Mariano

Mariano

From a 744 AMM:

"The right and left IRUs remain powered from the airplane battery until the voltage drops below 18 volts...".

Regarding minimum battery voltage for satisfactory IRU ON DC test, I'm guessing the number is eighteen (although probably higher than that).

I hope resident engineers can chime in.

Regards,

Mariano

John H Watson

QuoteSo the battery was down to 4v. Of course, maintenance suggested that because the AC and DC busses were powered via the ground power unit, it wouldn't be long before the battery was charged up. I wasn't optimistic at all.

We would have changed the battery if it was down to 4V. A significantly depleted 767 battery can take up to 75 minutes to recharge (which would probably cause a flight delay).
Fortunately, I was at main base, so there was always a plentiful supply of fresh batteries in the workshops.

Don't worry about the battery overheating. The charger knows how hot the battery is, and won't charge the battery if it is too hot. As Mariano says, the chargers have logic in them which prohibits the recharging of a battery if it's below 4volts.

On 744's, I seem to recall that it was difficult to get power on the ship with a significantly discharged battery. I don't know if this was main bus power only (It may have been ok down to a fairly low value with Ground Service Bus power applied. The GSB allows the batteries to recharge).

QuoteRegarding minimum battery voltage for satisfactory IRU ON DC test, I'm guessing the number is eighteen (although probably higher than that).

My training manuals do say 18Vdc is required for an IRU on DC Test pass.

Hardy Heinlin

18V DC is also the limit in PSX.

emerydc8

QuoteFrom a 744 AMM:

"The right and left IRUs remain powered from the airplane battery until the voltage drops below 18 volts...".

Thanks, Mariano. I should have thought to go to the 744 manual to find it. Our 767 manuals don't list a voltage.

QuoteWe would have changed the battery if it was down to 4V. A significantly depleted 767 battery can take up to 75 minutes to recharge (which would probably cause a flight delay).

The mechanic let the battery charge for about 20 minutes while he was negotiating with Delta over a new battery. It didn't budge from 4v during that time period. When you say 75 minutes to recharge, is that using a special charger or is that with the aircraft charger? Maybe Mariano is right about a certain minimum voltage to even start the charging process and 4v was just too low.

Quote18V DC is also the limit in PSX.

Thanks, Hardy. I should have known this bridge had already been crossed by PSX, probably long ago. In addition to the IRS DC FAIL, I noticed that the fuel spar valve lights were illuminated and there was an APU fuel valve EICAS. The fire squibs wouldn't test either. All these items are on the hot battery bus. I would have thought that if there was DC power going to the hot battery bus from the charger that these items would still operate. I wonder if it takes 18v to operate them too. Obviously the IRUs are looking at the battery output, not the voltage supplied to the hot battery bus from the charger.

In any case, thanks to all of you for the input.

Jon

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

I believe that the hot battery bus, by definition of hot, shares its voltage with all peers, both providers (the battery and the charger) and consumers (IRS, fuel valves, and the rest that sits on the hot bus). Hence, all peers must be able to cope with all voltages between zero and 32 Volts. Probably all equipment on the hot bus is able to determine for itself whether the bus provides sufficient voltage to operate, whether it comes from the charger or the battery. 18V then seems a reasonable number for all of them. Possibly the valves may go lower?

Likewise, a hot bus should not allow a charger to charge the battery while NOT powering any other equipment on the bus. True?

Hoppie

emerydc8

Likewise, a hot bus should not allow a charger to charge the battery while NOT powering any other equipment on the bus. True?

You would think so, but how is it that 28 volts is on the hot battery bus via the charger yet the spar and APU fuel valves that are powered by that bus are still not working?

John H Watson

Quotebut how is it that 28 volts is on the hot battery bus via the charger yet the spar and APU fuel valves that are powered by that bus are still not working?

The battery charger cannot selectively choose not to charge the battery (because the battery is below 4V) but then provide power to the Hot Battery Bus. Everything is in parallel with no relays between them.

The 4Vdc provided by the battery is probably not enough to activate the motorised spar valve. Note that the SPAR VALVE light on the 767 (above the fuel cutoff switches) uses power from the Master Dim and Test System. This will not be powered by the hot battery bus. 

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Also, should the charger bluntly put 28V on the bus, it would probably overcharge the battery (sitting at 4V) to destruction in seconds. To limit the charge to, what, 50A or something (?), the only thing the charger can do is to limit its output voltage. Therefore the hot battery bus will see, 5V, 7V or something and most loads will still not engage.

When the battery charges, the voltage required to maintain the appropriate charging current will rise, and the charger will steer that. At a certain moment, loads will engage, and the charger will need to provide more and more current and voltage, until it matches the battery and the system stabilizes at about 28V.

Even if the charger would be a steady 32V output voltage and the current limiter would be a simple (but heavy) resistor, the hot battery bus would still see that increasing voltage over time.

Hoppie

John H Watson

If the books say the charger can charge from 4volts, then I'm sure the charge profile in the charger can handle the battery charging without destroying the battery.  38 amps is used to charge the battery.

QuoteAs the battery charges, the output voltage varies with the
battery state of charge and load resistance. Initially it is about 28
volts dc, and the current remains at 38 amperes. As the battery state
of charge increases, the output voltage rises until the inflection
voltage is reached.
The inflection voltage varies with battery temperature (higher
temperature gives a lower inflection point) but is about 31 volts dc at
normal ambient temperatures. At the inflection voltage the battery
voltage increases until the appropriate overcharge is completed.
The amount of overcharge is a fixed percentage (12%) of the time it
takes for the battery to reach the inflection voltage.

After the overcharge period is complete the battery charger switches
to the constant potential mode where it charges the battery at a
constant voltage of 27.75 volts dc limited to 38 amperes.
NOTE: The battery charger will revert to the constant current
mode if a power interruption occurs or the battery voltage
falls below 23 volts.

emerydc8

If the books say the charger can charge from 4volts, then I'm sure the charge profile in the charger can handle the battery charging without destroying the battery. 

Did you find something in the book referring to a minimum voltage for charging the battery?

John H Watson

Quotethe books say the charger can charge from 4volts

The 4 volts is referring to the battery voltage. As your battery didn't charge, perhaps the displayed 4 volts you saw may not have been a real 4 volts, but a rounded value, say, 3.7 volts  (I recall that Hardy had a few theories on rounded voltages). The charger may have been using a non-rounded value, so refused to charge the battery.

emerydc8

Just perusing the AMM on this and I see that the chargers will shut down with a sensed battery voltage of less than 4v.

Does anyone know the minimum battery voltage to close the battery bus relay (744 or 767)?

John H Watson

Quote from: emerydc8Just perusing the AMM on this and I see that the chargers will shut down with a sensed battery voltage of less than 4v.

Sorry, I thought that was already understood. That was what I was implying when I said...

Quote from: John H WatsonIf the books say the charger can charge from 4volts, then I'm sure the charge profile in the charger can handle the battery charging without destroying the battery. 

Quote from: emerydc8Does anyone know the minimum battery voltage to close the battery bus relay (744 or 767)?

I'm not sure why this is important in your situation. As long as the battery is actually 4 volts or above, the battery charger will be operating and supplying 30 or more volts to the hot battery busses and the battery relays (assuming you haven't got the Standby Power switch in BAT).

The battery relays (specifically) are not intelligent. They are simply mechanical devices with coils and springs and things. They will close at a certain current depending on age/condition, circuit resistance, etc.

If you are attempting to power the busses with only a half-charged battery, as soon as the relays activate, the equipment will be attached to the battery and the current drain from the battery may be so great, the relays might de-energise again. There's no point pushing the battery switch until you can assure that all the equipment currently connected to the battery will function properly.

Hardy Heinlin

Am I right if I think the 4v limit is also applied to 747 batteries? In PSX the charging can work from 0v on.

Isn't the 767 text above contradictory if it says "each charger can recharge a completely discharged battery" -- and then further below it mentions the 4v limit? I would have thought "completely discharged" means 0v.

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

I believe "completely discharged" means "zero from a rechargeability point of view." Operationally ok, just empty, like an empty fuel tank. Fuel tanks also cannot be emptied by regular pumping below a certain level. Battery drain shuts off at 4V. The rest is residual (there is no electron scavenger :-) ).

A battery below 4V isn't discharged -- it is broken and needs to be repaired. A charger cannot do this. Like a leaking fuel tank.

Hoppie

Hardy Heinlin

Understood.

I just took the term "charge" as synonymous with "voltage". No charge, no voltage.

emerydc8

QuoteI'm not sure why this is important in your situation. As long as the battery is actually 4 volts or above, the battery charger will be operating and supplying 30 or more volts to the hot battery busses and the battery relays (assuming you haven't got the Standby Power switch in BAT).

I was thinking more along the line of what would happen if we took it in the air with say 10v and lost the generators. Would the battery relay stay closed with only 10v?  Of course, it's purely theoretical because if you need 18v to align the IRUs then we wouldn't be taking it anyway. The reason I ask is that I got into a discussion with our fleet manager about this. The DC-8 used to have a minimum battery voltage to close the battery relay and power the battery bus, although it's been so long I've forgotten what it was. Probably anyone that did know has long since passed away.

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: emerydc8 on Thu, 10 Jan 2019 01:28
Would the battery relay stay closed with only 10v?

You mean 10v from the battery and 0v from a failed charger?