News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

What will the new NGC FMC bring ?

Started by cagarini, Wed, 5 Dec 2018 06:50

cagarini

Now that I learned that HH is working in that new FMC, I would like to get, in a nutshell, an idea about what it will bring to the PSX 744 fleet ?

Really looking fwd into it, but more because it's a "new toy" more than because I understand what it really is about :-)

Help me understanding :-)

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

It has more memory for the nav and route database. That's its main selling point...

Hoppie

Markus Vitzethum

And possibly also the NG-FMC capability to fly RF legs ...

... thus using all these fancy curved RNP approaches into tiny little mountain airfields (next Worldflight maybe RNP approaches only?  ;D )

Markus

cagarini

Hmmm,

than it's mostly about memory and curves :-)

Looks promissing :-))

Markus Vitzethum

Here is some more ... (but I don't know if all of that is in the NG-retrofit for the -400)

https://www.aviationtoday.com/2013/05/23/boeing-continues-747-8-improvements-through-avionics-engine-upgrades/

- Quiet Climb (http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/aero_21/quietclimb_story.html)
- Optimal Wind Trade Step
- RNP Navigation (see above, RF legs)

Markus

cagarini

Thank you all !

Looks interesting, to say the least, but the cherry in the top of the cake is even more tasty :-)

andrej

Thanks Markus for sharing the link!

I was wondering how much difference is there between old and new version of display message for Flight Controls and Hydraulics.

Sounds like NGC FMC will be a useful add-on (for all those new approaches). I still have to master old gen FMC though. Nonetheless, thank you Hardy for continuous improvements of the PSX. :)

Cheers,
Andrej

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: andrej on Fri,  7 Dec 2018 14:26
I was wondering how much difference is there between old and new version of display message for Flight Controls and Hydraulics.

That's the EICAS, not the FMC. The EICAS won't change with the new FMC.

Another one of several options: The CDU displays may be changed to the multicolor LCD version. None of the real 744 aircraft have multicolor currently, but they may replace them in the future, like they did with the LCD MCPs in the past decade. The new FMC software itself is able to generate multicolor, it's just the old CDU that keeps the text in green.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

ahaka

Looking forward to this update!

And I hate to always be asking for more, but any chance some kind soul would write an app for iPad to control the upgraded CDU? Or update the current one, if at all possible. I assume it won't work "out-of-the-box" with the current iPad app?
Antti

Pierre Theillere

Hi Ahaka!

I guess current "PSX Remote" iPad app will run without requiring any update, as it "simply" sends to PSX' MCDU the page keypresses, LSK presses and keystrokes on CDU alphanumerical keyboard, then reads screen state to display it on the iPad.
Pierre, LFPG

ahaka

Hi Pierre,

So it can read the font color etc. from PSX to display it correctly? I guess it will work then, assuming all the buttons remain the same.

Well, the background graphic could be updated to depict the LCD version, of course. ;)
Antti

Hardy Heinlin

Add-ons that generate their green text screen on their own don't know what colors are to displayed. There will be additional network variables for the text color management.

Add-ons that use the PSX graphics on their hardware screens will get multicolor as shown on PSX, unless their screens are monochromatic.

This multicolor stuff is the least important option. As I wrote above, there is no multicolor CDU on any real 744 yet.

|-|ardy

ahaka

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Sat,  8 Dec 2018 23:57
This multicolor stuff is the least important option. As I wrote above, there is no multicolor CDU on any real 744 yet.

So let's make history and have it in PSX first. :)

Well, of course the inner workings of the FMC is more important than the visual style of a CDU, but it's intriguing me to have a modern CDU in a 744. At a glance it will look like a 748 flight deck.
Antti

andrej

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Fri,  7 Dec 2018 16:58
Quote from: andrej on Fri,  7 Dec 2018 14:26

That's the EICAS, not the FMC. The EICAS won't change with the new FMC.

Dear Hardy,

thanks for your response. I may have been misunderstood.
My question was rather a general inquiry rather then expectation of an update of EICAS with the NG FMC update. :)

Thanks nonetheless!
Cheers,
Andrej

fft82

Shut up and take my money!!!  ;D

Would love to fly SCEL RNP-AR procedures, already in the navdata, but not really usable, as the current FMC doesn't really follow the RF legs

Even better would be to fly SCBA RNP procedures, but they're not currently available in the navdata, I guess it makes sense as no 747 or any CAT D aircraft flies into SCBA, only A320s, which routinely fly these cool approaches.

Quote from: Markus Vitzethum on Wed,  5 Dec 2018 10:01
And possibly also the NG-FMC capability to fly RF legs ...

... thus using all these fancy curved RNP approaches into tiny little mountain airfields (next Worldflight maybe RNP approaches only?  ;D )

Markus

cagarini

About these "alternative" procedures that we will be able to vly with the NG FMC, I was wondering what happens when a 744 has to operate into such an airfield ? 

- Other available precision / non-precision procedures are used instead ?

- If possible a visual approach must be used ?

skelsey

Quote from: jcomm on Thu, 13 Dec 2018 06:49
About these "alternative" procedures that we will be able to vly with the NG FMC, I was wondering what happens when a 744 has to operate into such an airfield ? 

- Other available precision / non-precision procedures are used instead ?

- If possible a visual approach must be used ?

Exactly - same as any other aircraft (or operator) that does not have the "A" that is "R'd" for RNP AR procedures  ;)

You would have to use one of the "traditional" approaches available, almost certainly with higher minima (which is one of the main reasons for RNP AR - there are very few commercial airports in the world where there is no possibility of any form of instrument approach at all - but RNP AR procedures may allow for much lower minima than would otherwise be possible within the confines of the requirements for obstacle clearance on something like a VOR or NDB approach and therefore provides a greater chance of getting in when the weather is poor).

Steve_Beckett

NG FMC. Looking forward to it!

As an example, the RNVX Canarsie onto 13L VOR (Poor/Good Weather) - A frequent feature on my recurrent checks :-)

Steve.

andmiz

NG FMC has been around for a little while now; any plans to provide it as an option in PSX?
We've had it on our real-world 744's for over a year now to match the -8's so it'd be great to see it for commonality.

John H Watson

Quoteany plans to provide it as an option in PSX?

See post #1  ;)