News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Telex Airman 7 headset

Started by GodAtum, Wed, 7 Nov 2018 15:43

GodAtum

I'm hoping someone could clear my lack of knowledge ... these come with PJ-068 cable for the mic and a PJ-055 cable for the headset. Are these standard 1/8" TRS ends? Specifically will they work in a mixer?

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Did not look up this model, but 'normal' aviation headsets have a normal phone plug for the speaker, but a narrower one for the mike. Same construction, just narrower, and pretty difficult to get the mating connector, but not impossible if you go online to specialty stores (Digikey, Mouser, ...).

From Wikipedia:

Headphones

Commercial and general aviation (GA) civil airplane headset plugs are similar, but not identical. A standard ​1⁄4 in monaural plug, type PL-55 (both two-conductor phone plugs, a.k.a. PJ-055B, which mate with JK-24 and JK-34A jacks) is used for headphones. On many newer GA aircraft the headphone jack is a standard ​1⁄4 in phone connector wired in the standard unbalanced stereo configuration instead of the PJ-055 to allow stereo music sources to be reproduced.

Microphones

Aviation headphones are paired with special tip-ring-sleeve, 0.206 inch/5.23 mm diameter plug, type PJ-068 (PL-68, for the microphone. The PJ-068 mates with a JK-33 jack (Switchcraft C-12B), and is similar to the Western Electric plug WE-109.

In the microphone plug the Ring is used for the microphone 'hot' and the sleeve is common or microphone 'Lo'. The extra (tip) connection in the microphone plug is often left unconnected but is also sometimes used for various functions, most commonly an optional push-to-talk switch, but on some aircraft it carries headphone audio and on others a DC supply.

Hoppie

Edit.
Looked it up -- yes, standard GA headset.

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

The info is a bit sparse but I think this cable extends the mike cable -- same size on either end! I don't think it converts from narrow to standard phone. Of course you can cut off the narrow plug and replace it by a standard one quite simply.

Hoppie

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Sure, but also 30 quid more expensive than it should be...

Gary Oliver

Mark

Answering Gary's call...

I built a board (or a few, as you see in the pic!) that converts headset mics into balanced audio outputs. It's not suitable for consumer audio equipment, so I can't really help in this case.  :)

GodAtum

Oh wow amazing! I think I will need something like that to go into the mixer mic XLR inputs.

744sim

Mark,

Interesting work. Could you please share the schematic diagram of these converters?.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Javier / Barcelona (Spain)