News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

What's next for Aerowinx Precision Simulator?

Started by little600, Sun, 4 Nov 2018 13:21

little600

Hi Hardy,

Precision Simulator version 10  has been released in August 2014. So is there a plan for Precision Simulator version 11 (or maybe it's called something else)? When will there be a major update?

Best wishes

Hardy Heinlin

Hi 600,

there have been thousands of modifications since 2014 and it keeps going:

http://aerowinx.com/downloads/PSX-Modifications-History.txt

They all together provide the same enhancement as a single big update would do after 4 years.

This is a different concept here. The progress happens almost every day; it's a continuous evolution, not a matter of big, abrupt jumps every few years.

Regards,

|-|ardy

little600

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Sun,  4 Nov 2018 13:37
Hi 600,

there have been thousands of modifications since 2014 and it keeps going:

http://aerowinx.com/downloads/PSX-Modifications-History.txt

They all together provide the same enhancement as a single big update would do after 4 years.

This is a different concept here. The progress happens almost every day; it's a continuous evolution, not a matter of big, abrupt jumps every few years.

Regards,

|-|ardy

So what is the support lifespan of psx?It would be a terrible thing if there was no support and no update after a version is pushed.

Hardy Heinlin

little600

YUHAO WANG

Hello, dear Sir. Please excuse my poor English. Will the future update add ACMS and SATCOM functions as well as AOA invalidation? I'm really interested in them.
Thank you for your answer
Best regards

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Hi Yuhao,

As I design SATCOM equipment and flight deck interfaces for a living, I am curious why you would want to add this to a simulator. There's nothing you can do with SATVOICE that exceeds making phone calls (today, at least). You would add two more virtual radios to your stack, next to the three VHF and two HF, with nobody on the other end to talk to. The pilot interface is pretty boring, your cell phone has it, too.

I can, and may actually, write a small program that projects the actual interface of my real airliner equipment onto PSX and play with the SELCAL incoming call chime and light up some LEDs on the audio panel, but what would be the educational, play, or operational value?

Just curious.

Hoppie

Hardy Heinlin

AOA invalidation?

If that is supposed to be an ADC related "angle of attack" malfunction simulation: That is already implemented.

|-|ardy

emerydc8

Quotebut what would be the educational, play, or operational value?

I have to be honest, I am baffled about the kinds of requests Hardy continues to field when probably most of the users (including myself) have not yet mastered the challenges PSX can model. Can you do a three-engine, hand-flown, raw data ILS with a 15 knot crosswind down to minimums? How about a two-engine visual approach? How fast can you fly to the outer marker with a cargo fire and still get it on the ground? Have you flown the escape maneuver out of HKG after a V1 cut at 870,000 lbs and run the memory items and checklists at the same time? PSX is great for this stuff, but focusing on SATCOM, ADS, CPDLC, CMC, FANS and other ancillary automation features is not going to make you a better pilot, especially when its applicability in the plastic sim world is very limited. Believe it or not, the airplane used to fly without this stuff. Just my 2¢.

PSX is an incredible program and I think we're  all really lucky that Hardy has been able to replicate the 744 systems, FMS and flight characteristics so closely.

Jon

YUHAO WANG

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Thu,  8 Nov 2018 13:37
AOA invalidation?

If that is supposed to be an ADC related "angle of attack" malfunction simulation: That is already implemented.

|-|ardy
Your answer is very helpful to me, thank you very much for your answer, best wishes

YUHAO WANG

Quote from: Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers on Thu,  8 Nov 2018 09:30
Hi Yuhao,

As I design SATCOM equipment and flight deck interfaces for a living, I am curious why you would want to add this to a simulator. There's nothing you can do with SATVOICE that exceeds making phone calls (today, at least). You would add two more virtual radios to your stack, next to the three VHF and two HF, with nobody on the other end to talk to. The pilot interface is pretty boring, your cell phone has it, too.

I can, and may actually, write a small program that projects the actual interface of my real airliner equipment onto PSX and play with the SELCAL incoming call chime and light up some LEDs on the audio panel, but what would be the educational, play, or operational value?

Just curious.

Hoppie
Thank you very much for your answer, but since I can only speak Chinese and Russian, I can't speak English at all, so the translation software will translate some words so strangely that I cannot understand your meaning very well, but thank you very much for your patient and meticulous answer. Best wishes

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Now I am interested!   :-)

I will attempt to rewrite my response. So that translator software has a good chance of working.

Hoppie

cagarini

Quote from: emerydc8 on Thu,  8 Nov 2018 21:25
Quotebut what would be the educational, play, or operational value?

I have to be honest, I am baffled about the kinds of requests Hardy continues to field when probably most of the users (including myself) have not yet mastered the challenges PSX can model. Can you do a three-engine, hand-flown, raw data ILS with a 15 knot crosswind down to minimums? How about a two-engine visual approach? How fast can you fly to the outer marker with a cargo fire and still get it on the ground? Have you flown the escape maneuver out of HKG after a V1 cut at 870,000 lbs and run the memory items and checklists at the same time? PSX is great for this stuff, but focusing on SATCOM, ADS, CPDLC, CMC, FANS and other ancillary automation features is not going to make you a better pilot, especially when its applicability in the plastic sim world is very limited. Believe it or not, the airplane used to fly without this stuff. Just my 2¢.

PSX is an incredible program and I think we're  all really lucky that Hardy has been able to replicate the 744 systems, FMS and flight characteristics so closely.

Jon

Not to mention the minimum requirements to run it, even with the most advanced ( available for the PC ) simulation of flight and systems of a 744, and a self-contained World Weather Model, ATC, GroundOps, ... for which simmers pay many times the price of a single PSX license, and pay again each time a main update is released for their other platform alternatives...

I often give up "playing" PSX but it's only because some stuff is really complex for me to digest, and with the years I tend to think that instead of spending hours trying to read and learn it, I should rather invest on fine tuning my still very basic soaring techniques :-/ 

When I bought PS1 long ago I was still dreaming about it being possible, even if remotely, to get a life as a commercial pilot, which is by now only a plan for my next life :-)

Yesterday, using it to reproduce what I was trying with X-plane 11.30b2 and a modified B747-400 flight dynamics file, fine tuned so that x-wind takeoffs and landings can feel a bit more plausible, or when I tried to reproduce what's described in an article on asymmetric engine operations, I felt again astonished with the precision PSX really offers.

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Hi Yuhao,

I design SATCOM equipment and flight deck interfaces as my job.
I am curious why you would want to add SATVOICE to a simulator.
A SATVOICE machine is nothing more than a cell phone. You can make phone calls, you can receive phone calls.
Adding SATVOICE would add two more radios. You already have three VHF and two HF. Do you ever use those to talk to somebody?
Even the pilot interface of SATVOICE is very boring.

I can write a small program that projects the SATVOICE interface to the PSX MCDU.
What would you do with the SATVOICE interface if you would have one in PSX?

Hoppie

I tried Google Translate on this text and translated it to Dutch which worked well, so I hope that translating it to Russian or Chinese works as well...

Hardy Heinlin

I call it the "advent calendar effect". All brain owners on this planet are curious (that's why they have brains). Now here's a big colorful computer program displayed on the monitor. The program contains many exciting functions. To activate a function, you need to press a button. There are many buttons. All these buttons are exciting. Brain owners are curious and want to know what all these buttons do. They want to open all doors on the advent calendar -- not all doors at once, but they look forward to opening them in the future. Even if there are thousands of doors that have been opened after a while, the most exciting doors are those that are closed.

Open the door, take the cookie, eat it, be happy for a second. Look forward to opening the next door.

|-|ardy

martin

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Fri,  9 Nov 2018 13:32Look forward to opening the next door.

...and the very last one may even have a Christmas tree!
(excerpt from a 20 year old pic)

Cheers,
Martin

Will

I totally agree with the Advent calendar analogy.

Something else that drives people is mild form of OCD related to completeness. They hear that the aircraft performs feature X, and they feel anxiety that the simulator doesn't provide X, even though X is totally useless to the main reasons that the simulator exists. The anxiety exists as long as they can't have X.
Will /Chicago /USA

emerydc8

Good points. The real airplane (cargo version) has a sleep-deprived "Flight Maintenance Engineer" who has been on the airplane circling the planet for 21 days and has only been to the hotel once during that time. Those water separators make good shower heads on the ramp in SHJ; although we'd probably want to leave that part out of the software.

Avi

Quote from: emerydc8 on Thu,  8 Nov 2018 21:25
PSX is great for this stuff, but focusing on SATCOM, ADS, CPDLC, CMC, FANS and other ancillary automation features is not going to make you a better pilot

I must admit that testing PSX shifted my interest from the cockpit to the MEC. There is a lot in there.
Avi Adin
LLBG