News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Frame rate limits?

Started by Toga, Wed, 10 Oct 2018 10:36

Toga

Just wondered if this is an issue with my set up or something introduced in a new update.

I'm running psx natively on an i7 and 1080 on one comp. I used to have 72 fps solid, now its dropped to 67 and doesn't feel as smooth as it once was? Any ideas?

Hardy Heinlin

My frame rate has never dropped during in the past 1000 updates.

Toga

Ok thanks, must be a problem my end.

Toga

What could possibly be the reason for the recent drop in frames? Nor the CPU or GPU is really being tested. It just stays at 67 FPS.

Hardy Heinlin

Microsoft Windows sometimes limits it to 68 FPS.

Toga

Ah! That may be it as it doesn't move from 67 even when i disable the windshield etc. Is there a way to disable the windows limit?

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Wed, 10 Oct 2018 16:35
Microsoft Windows sometimes limits it to 68 FPS.

I think I meant to say that OS X may limit it to 68 FPS. It's been some years when I tested a Windows machine the last time. My current iMac with OS X 10.9.5 limits it to 68 FPS. I got 71 FPS on older Macs. I can't see any difference between 68 and 71 anyway.

Maybe it's not the OS but Java 1.7 and higher.

Toga

Is anyone managing 72 FPS with the latest version of java and win 10?

Panos Bilios

Hi guys

In my I7 4790 gt650 card , running PSX
in one machine no addons no network
I always get 72 fps and sometimes very briefly
goes to 68 especially when panning around the cockpit.

Panos

Toga

Are you running the latest win 10 and latest java?

asboyd

I am getting 70 FPS with windshield deactivated on an AMD FX6300 3.5Ghz with 16Gb DDR3 mem and a GTX660 2Gb video card...
With windshield active I drop 1 FPS to 69 during a flight....
I have the latest Win10 updates and the latest Java 1.8.0 181 updates.
I had too many issues with Java 10 to keep using it.

Alex B
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

Toga

I have the same java and don't understand why it suddenly stays at 67. I know it's trivial but i can't understand what is dropping it from what once was 72 constantly.

Panos Bilios

I have java 1.70_60 and
windows 7 64bit

Panos

asboyd

Have you tried opening task manager and checking the CPU and memory usage?
Look for windows compatibility task as that collects info and sends it back to Microsoft when you are running programs.
I have disabled the task (it reactivates itself after every windows 10 update so you need to stay on top of it.)
Cheers,

Toga

yeah my CPU and GPU are only running at about 15%. No explanation, just 67 fps for no apparent reason.

asboyd

Have you updated the driver for the video card lately.
I had a period when I had issues with all graphics on my machine but the latest update seems to have settled them down. (I use a lot of cad programs as well as some gaming :) )
Cheers,
Alex B

Phil Bunch

Quote from: asboyd on Wed, 17 Oct 2018 23:23
Have you updated the driver for the video card lately.
I had a period when I had issues with all graphics on my machine but the latest update seems to have settled them down. (I use a lot of cad programs as well as some gaming :) )
Cheers,
Alex B

Interestingly, I've personally experienced the opposite problem - a favoably reviewed new video card driver completely wrecked my PC Windows installation and it then took me a several days to rescue and restore my PC.  I then refused to install new video drivers for about a year! 

YMMV.
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

asboyd

Currently I am using Nvidia 416.34 with no issues....

Cheers,
AlexB

Toga

I have updated all drivers and software etc. The only thing I have changed is the hdmi cable...
I know this is all trivial, I just can't understand what's causing it.

evaamo

I'm using Windows 10 (build 1803) with Java 1.8.0-181  and I am also "capped" at 67-68fps.

I have an i7 6700k Overclocked to 4.6Ghz, 32 GB of RAM and an Nvidia 1080ti at 4k.

For some strange reason, I used to get 72fps as well, but now I'm stuck at 68fps as well. PSX's fluid as it's always been though.

cheers
-E
Enrique Vaamonde