News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Air India 777 JFK - Instrument / LOC Failure

Started by farrokh747, Tue, 18 Sep 2018 06:11

cagarini

Wow!

Air India pilots do it better :-)

Thx for sharing - incredible, and outstanding professionalism!

John H Watson

Quote from: Aviation Heraldwhen JFK approach inquired again whether at least one LOC receiver was available, the crew stated both localizer receivers were failed and unpredictable,

The 777 has 3 loc receivers (MMRs). However, after listening to the ATC tape, they said "both sides", not both receivers. AvHerald didn't quite get it right.

Sounds like some kind of databus/AIMS failure (?)

Hardy Heinlin

G-CIVA

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Tue, 18 Sep 2018 10:41
What does "side" mean?

Is he thinking along the lines of say how the Nav Radio Tuning Heads (or control panels) are set up on the aisle stand of a smaller Boeing like the 737 series? i.e. left & right?  He might not understand how the big Boeing navigation radio systems are designed.
Steve Bell
aka The CC

John H Watson

I was thinking right and left displays. After further reading, the 777 (or some, at least) has no facililty for selecting the third MMR manually (either on the PFD or ND). A failure must be detected before (automatic) switching occurs. The Center MMR does, however, send data to the ISFD.

emerydc8

My company just bought two of these from Emirates. Other than getting a type rating on it, I can't imagine why anyone would leave the -400 to go to this two-engine, engineering masterpiece.
Jon

G-CIVA

When we are referring to 'side' I take it we are talking about the part of the communications where the ATCO refers to loosing the ILS signal on 'both sides' ?

That's why I made the statement about the 737 NAV Radio Tuning Systems.  An ATCO may not be up to speed on the more modern systems & equipment.  I was trying to think of it from his perspective.
Steve Bell
aka The CC

Britjet

Quote from: emerydc8 on Wed, 19 Sep 2018 01:24
My company just bought two of these from Emirates. Other than getting a type rating on it, I can't imagine why anyone would leave the -400 to go to this two-engine, engineering masterpiece.
Jon
I quite liked it. The aircon worked. You could open the flight deck windows which was fun for no particular reason, the flight deck was close to the First Class galley which was advantageous, and there was more space.
However the fly-by-wire and full flight autothrottle were boring, and I did get that nagging feeling 1,500 miles from land...
Peter

John H Watson

The maintenance engineers seemed to like it, too. Unlike previous generations, the maintenance guys had a say in its design. Where possible, they made everything easy to get to. You don't have to pull the whole aircraft apart to get to things.

I didn't like the fact that after the 747-400, they started to squeeze masses of things into single black boxes.  The fact that you can lose TCAS, RA and ILS is one hit seems to show how flawed this can be.

emerydc8

QuoteI quite liked it. The aircon worked. You could open the flight deck windows which was fun for no particular reason, the flight deck was close to the First Class galley which was advantageous, and there was more space.
However the fly-by-wire and full flight autothrottle were boring, and I did get that nagging feeling 1,500 miles from land...
Peter

If I had to go back to long-range flying, I would go back to the -400. The 777 is going to go pretty junior here. It's hard to compete with the upper deck of a BCF. In fact, it's hard to compete with just about anything as compared to the -400 (okay, maybe the flight deck windows!). We have 25 -400s now and will probably get more.

Jon

torrence

Check out: https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/cathay-pacific-livery-typo/index.html

Slightly off topic, but funny while we're comparing 777's with the Queen.

Edit:  Obviously they just ran out of room on that 'little' airplane!

And by the way what's the code for the lettering on the nose wheel well doors? - I'm not into the fine points of fuselage markings.

Cheers,
Torrence

Cheers
Torrence

John H Watson

Quote from: TorrenceAnd by the way what's the code for the lettering on the nose wheel well doors? - I'm not into the fine points of fuselage markings.

It's simply a recognisable part of the aircraft registration

B-HNO

B is the country or region.

Sometimes there are three letters or numbers to resolve ambiguities. The nosegear label is useful for people working at the airport or maintenance facility. They don't have to walk to the tail to identify the aircraft.