News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

New USB calibration procedure

Started by Hardy Heinlin, Fri, 6 Jul 2018 09:25

Hardy Heinlin

Hello,

I moved the calibration instructions to the Tutorials subforum:

http://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=4805.0

Regards,

|-|ardy

Pierre Theillere

Hi Hardy!

Wow, quite an amazing process: I finally may be able to improve the experience with my "good old" Thrustmaster RCS purchased in 1994 and still flying nearly every day! But the 24 years old potentiometers lead to a noisy signal and assymetrical response... until now!
I'm sure this process will eliminate the "check your rudder trim" reminders by the virtuel F/O...
Pierre, LFPG

emerydc8

Thanks for all the work on this, Hardy. This program just keeps getting better and better!
Jon

acannata

Thank you so much for the steady flow of excellent updates!

Aldo

garys

Thanks Hardy for this great update.

For the throttle axis - are the fwd and reverse thrust axis still seperated, or are we now able too, with this update have full fwd and full reverse on a single axis much the same as we could in the past using fsuipc on the fsx/prepar3d platforms?

Thanks
Gary

Hardy Heinlin

As usual, you have options for 4 single levers, for 2 pairs, and for all in one. For throttles and reversers.

Throttle and reverser cannot be put onto the same hardware axis.

|-|ardy

b744erf

Quote from: garys on Sat,  7 Jul 2018 01:30
For the throttle axis - are the fwd and reverse thrust axis still seperated, or are we now able too, with this update have full fwd and full reverse on a single axis much the same as we could in the past using fsuipc on the fsx/prepar3d platforms?

Thanks
Gary

Yap. This is what I want too.  Much easier to interface the OEM TQ. This is how the real TQ work.

Hardy Heinlin

If I were to add this special feature, how many axes combinations would need this special feature?

We have:

Throttle 1
Throttle 2
Throttle 3
Throttle 4
Throttles 1+2
Throttles 3+4
Throttles ALL

Seven combinations. Lots of work. Very long menu.

b744erf

I think it's okay only setting for Throttle1, 2, 3, 4. Since this option is only for some people with OEM TQ.

Hardy Heinlin

What USB values in the range between -1000 and +1000 does your system send when ...

(A) When the forward lever TLA is between 50° and 0°

(B) When the reverser lever TLA is between 0° and 89°

b744erf

A:Fwd 1000~280 (Ideal is at 280 and Jumping between 260-306).

B:AFT 280~-1000.
I think it is almost the same rate as 50/(50+89) and 89/(50+89).

Hardy Heinlin

This would require a special neutral zone around the idle position. As the standard slider calibration has no neutral zone in the middle range, this would need yet another special program. I'm sorry, that would be too much extra work for me at the moment.

Hardy Heinlin

The new calibration features are now available in PSX update 10.36:

http://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=4191.0

|-|ardy

United744

Hi Hardy,

Can't you add a simple "divider" point where values greater than the divider are the forward thrust range, and values less than the divider are the reverse range? Linear interpolation would solve the scaling of the reduced range to the full throttle ranges required for forward and reverse thrust.

Use the existing null range as the width of the gap between reverse and forward positions.

Should be very simple to do and would achieve what everyone wants?

e.g. my throttle is -1000 to 1000. If I set a "divider" at -500 (25%), then -500  to 1000 is the forward range, and -501 to -1000 is the reverse range.

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: United744 on Tue, 10 Jul 2018 04:03
Can't you add a simple "divider" point ...

Of course, the slider math is trivial. That's not the problem. In fact, it's already implemented. But only for self-centering axes, not for throttles. So it needs a third extra object.

Things always look like a "few minutes work". Such an extra has several consequences:

• New GUI window for additional features (Java and Mac Java)
• Additional menu items with additional index management
• Preference file format modification and testing
• New preference file format parsing and testing
• Backward compatibility protection and testing
• Additional algorithm for the new lever control logic, and testing

The "divider" you're describing is already available in PSX 10.36. In PSX, "divider" is called "center point". And the adjustable "center tolerance" expands this point to a center zone. The rest is, as usual, interpolated towards the outer extremes. But this tolerance zone is for self-centering axes, not for sliders. USB throttles are defined as USB sliders. It would require a third software object. And additional system management accordingly. This is work. I mean work. Not just a "can't you add a simple ..." :-)

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Sat,  7 Jul 2018 16:17
This would require a special neutral zone around the idle position. As the standard slider calibration has no neutral zone in the middle range, this would need yet another special program. I'm sorry, that would be too much extra work for me at the moment.

garys

Thanks for the explanation Hardy. Hopefully we will see a full range single axis throttle lever option in a future update but we realize its not a priority.

Thanks
Gary

United744

Thanks for the explanation!

Hopefully we will see it in a future update.

J D ADAM

Sir   I thank you Hardy for all the effort you have expended in upgrading your fine product to give us so much pleasure.  Many of the technical improvements have been "way above my head", but critical to those talented people who know what they are talking about.
However your new calibration tool has worked miracles for me. I had purchased a yoke from a 757 whilst in the aircraft graveyard in the Mohaje desert and although my adaptions have worked relatively well, i now find that I can comfortable hand fly. Prior to this it got me off the ground and 10 ft from the ground without automatics!
Hardy you have made an old man very happy.
Kind regards
Derek Adam
NZAA

Hardy Heinlin

Thank you, Derek, for the good news. I'm glad the new features work ...

Cheers!

|-|ardy