News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Latest from the "Airbus PSX" ...

Started by cagarini, Thu, 7 Jun 2018 11:25

cagarini

This sim has been capturing my browsing attention...

A pity there's not much info available, specially feedback from user community...

It runs on a Surface Pro, provided you opt for no out-of-windshield view...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sfkhNfVkq8

double-alpha

it could have been an interesting simulator, but it's filled with hundreds or even thousands of bugs.

It is difficult to do a normal flight.
PSX is far superior on all levels (The only advantage is the external visualization).

Hardy's masterpiece has not been overtaken yet.

Dispatcher

True, but beside the  bugs (maybe understandable because of the complexity of the Airbus systems) also manual fliying is not completely convincing... the bus seems too stable and "toyish" and fbw protections still not well reproduced imho. I know they're already working on a new version...
It's hard to find a true competitor for PSX ...

Quote from: Double-alpha on Thu,  7 Jun 2018 15:35
it could have been an interesting simulator, but it's filled with hundreds or even thousands of bugs.

PSX is far superior on all levels (The only advantage is the external visualization).

M.C.
FAA Aircraft Dispatcher

tango4

Well, José we already exchanged by email on this topic so you know my opinion but I'll also share it for other people. Basically same as those gentlemen !
This is definitely not in PSX league.
Even after several years, it is still buggy as hell. Not only talking system mistakes, but lots of CTD.

Charles

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

cagarini

Yes, tango4 I know about it because you did mention it more than once, but looking at the videos I retain at least some really nice features like:

- the interface
- the World graphics - basic but effective enough for it's purpose

I was afraid of investing on it because it's really expensive, and being buggy is really a problem. Then the rather "plastic" feel of the flight dynamics model is also not appealing, I have to agree.

GodAtum

Quote from: Double-alpha on Thu,  7 Jun 2018 15:35

How do you know it's buggy?

double-alpha

Because I fly the Airbus and I bought and used the simulator.

That's why I have this opinion on the simulator

Will

Any examples of bugs that make it difficult to use?
Will /Chicago /USA

double-alpha

3 years after the release of the software, there are still some significant  problems even concerning normal procedures (.and bugs concerning malfunctions are reported quite frequently)...

The flying characteristics are not great
Many freezes... the sim is unstable

It is a pity, because the interface the simulator is very well done.

For example the few problems below (and there are hundreds more) have not been solved since 2016 :

gear down, the decel is a lot too low. It is very difficult to slow down in final, which in reality is not this way.

Managed speed issue

the pitch and power settings do not correspond to the QRH.

APPROACH speed wrong

Erratic FD and Speed Tape

problem with managed descend

Strange green dot increment, incorrect SRS and no pre-selected CLB SPD activation during initial climb

variation between SPEED and THE IDLE in the FMA and ECON Speed Range (magenta) : Appears and disappears

Direct radial in not work well

Flight phase related system pages incorrectly shown

A/THR oscillating in clean configuration & level flight

Erroneous A/THR FMA indication

Circling Approach : Yo-yo not working

FMGC fuel predictions on ground seems to be very pesimistic. With a flight normally using 5 tons of fuel, FMGC requires about almost 10.

AP Disengage on flap retract

Multiple attempts made to intercept course from a heading with nav blue armed, did not work

RNP system logic does not appear in FLIGHT DECK. This logic should be available.

Sometimes it's impossible to write more than 1 letter on MCDU 1 (expecially when diverting).

cagarini

A pity indeed...

Developers are themselves active Airbus captains / instructors, were involved before in an MD-11 CBT AFAIK, and although they couldn't access Airbus detailled flight data ( that probably makes it's way only into the multi-million $$$ CAE and Thales sims ) they tried their best to adjust performance according to their own experience...

Another two users have reported lot's of problems, instabilities a few months ago.

I honestly thought it might have progressed positively since then :-(

double-alpha

The basis of the program is serious, I think they are doing everything they can, but they are improving at a too slow pace. (with a quality as good as psx, the software would be a marvel!).

In my opinion, FSLABS on P3D V4 is much better (even if it lacks circuit breakers for example, and malfunctions option are more basic).

Dispatcher

I guess they're focusing on what the software was created for (practice for T/R or checkride) so basically it doesnt really matter for example if the fuel burnoff is inaccurate for a long flight but.... being one of the more expensive sim software and being declared a training device (and not an entertainment game), I would expect more accuracy (i mean at least not worst than FSX/P3D!!) and not so many bugs!
Anyway me too I like very much the interface, and the simulation is really complete...
M.C.
FAA Aircraft Dispatcher

isaaclevi

I totally agree with Dispatcher ,it is just for a take-off then you have malfunctions ,you deal with them ,and then you come back.Even like that ,the sim is still buggy. :o

Dispatcher

Well,
I truly think that an Aerowinx A320 with the same features and quality of the PSX is what the market needs...

;D ;D
M.C.
FAA Aircraft Dispatcher

Hardy Heinlin

Hmm ... our forum here is about "aviation in general", so the criticism on that Airbus sim is more or less on-topic. But the opinions are now shared, and repeated; I guess it would be nicer to post further criticism on their product support forum where the respective people can reply?

|-|ardy

pcpilot

It is interesting to read this thread as I have been looking at purchasing this airbus software for the last couple of years.

There is a distinct lack of information around this product on the web and no access to thier forum untill you purchase the software. A quick google reveals some really old threads on other forums and a couple of dated videos on YouTube.

I did my own research and have been in contact with a number of names and organisations stated on their website, and have been given some useful feedback. I have also been in contact privately with a number of PSX forum users who own the software.

The response from Double-Alpha in this thread is the most detailed account of the product and its state to date I have seen on the web.

I know the subject is maybe slightly off topic but grateful it has been allowed to remain.

Graham.

double-alpha

I was in the same case as pcpilot, it's difficult to have an opinion and a complete review on the software.

It is not a competitor of PSX since it is an airbus, but it's nice that we can discuss here because PSX or A320 airlinetools are intended for demanding pilots.

thank you Hardy

cagarini

Indeed, and same here.

When I posted the thread I did so because this forum is visited by a group of users that do not look for PBR, autogen, rain effects, and being able to walk along the cabin and enter the toilets in their sims / add-ons, but rather concentrate in a level of detail and accuracy that, for the Boeing 747-400 and for a PC-based simulation is certainly not achievable by any other sims / add-ons - PSX.

Since I thought that apart from tango 4 who I have interacted with and kindly gave me his opinion on the A32x, there might be other users interested in the sim or already using it, I decided to take the initiative, and indeed I'm grateful that Hardy allows for such topics that are out of sync with the simulation or operations of the Boeing 744s.

I exchanged some emails with two of the developers, and know they are actively supporting their project and already aiming for future enhnacements specially in the graphics department, but their perspective is always biased, I guess - it's their baby :-) - and since it's so difficult to find more info, let's hope that others can also contribute. Unfortunately the product forum is not open to non-users :-/

double-alpha

I made a video about flightdeck a320 :

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F9udDT-BovQ&t=128s

it has some interesting features, but it is still far from the PSX level, as you can see