News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Request- Toe Brake Axis Calibration

Started by cavaricooper, Tue, 5 Jun 2018 17:01

cavaricooper

Hardy-

I have been struggling with this for quite a while... despite calibration in Windows 7, my toe brake axis' only move the brake hooks from half to full on... I never get to full off.  This is only in PSX- the axis' work fine in P3D.  When possible, would you please consider adding calibration for the two toe brake axis'?

Your solution for the Flap lever works brilliantly with my HW.

Fingers x'ed, and obliged as ever- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

cagarini

Carl,

what values do you use in your nullzone, in the PSX USB menu for the Left and Right toe brakes axis ?

Have you tried setting it at 0, from the default 300 ?  I have mine at 30.

I also set a button in my joystick for "both toe brakes" since everytime I apply teh toe brakes from my ( cheap ) Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals the aircraft starts swinging along the rw wildly at the minor feet action asymmetry :-/

Hardy Heinlin

Why does it do that, Carl? Honestly, I hesitate to spend hours developing a special, expensive feature just to compensate one unusual hardware fault of an exotic device. If, say, 50 more users had the same half-range problem I would consider it a serious problem. Your P3D may fix the symptoms but doesn't fix the cause of the problem. It's like asking a car mechanic to develop an option that moves the engine to the right for better weight balance because someone has stolen the left front wheel. Replacing that missing wheel would be way more effective and less work-intensive ...

Regards,

|-|ardy

cavaricooper

HH- Thank-you for the response- I will keep trying.

C

PS- Jose, I will try to reduce further (just replaced with Hall pots). Thank-you.
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Hardy Heinlin

I'm working on new calibration features for USB axes and sliders.

It will take a few days ...

|-|ardy

cavaricooper

Die Verpflichtung, die ich dir gegenüber habe, steigt ständig. Meine Dankbarkeit tut es auch.

Danke Hardy!

C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Hardy Heinlin

Your poetry is ascending to golden skies, Carl ... :-)

Hi all,

I'm looking for some compact english sentences that native and non-native English-readers can easily understand.

Background: There is an automatic process that detects the hardware's center tolerance. This process runs in two phases:

Phase 1: The program asks the user to center the hardware axis.

(Phase 2 activates when the hardware is centered.)

Phase 2: The program asks the user to shake the centered hardware axis.

(The program records the greatest deviation from the center.)

In either phase a request is displayed in text form in a small box. The box is very small.

Examples for phase 1:

Please center the hardware
Please let the hardware self-center
Please let the hardware center itself

Examples for phase 2:

Please shake the hardware
Please shake the centered hardware
Please shake the hardware gently

I want to start with the word "please" to clarify that this command is adressed to the user and not to the computer. It doesn't tell what the computer is doing but what the user is supposed to do.

Regards,

|-|ardy

cavaricooper

Hardy-

Ta :)

As an aside, when developing your phrases, for the first it will be important to specify whether you want the control to self center, or you want the user to visually center- the positions are not always the same. On roll this is most obvious as it really is front and center.  Also, for axis' that do not need centering (i.e. brake) I would suggest specifically eliminating this step- if possible.

For the second I like the additional specifications of "centered" & "gently" suggesting the user "bump" the natural slop borders.

Best- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Hardy Heinlin

Of course, the above feature is just for aileron, elevator, rudder, and tiller.

Other axes will be calibrated in a different way. I will explain it in another thread.

Will

Please center the hardware

Please shake the hardware

... they aren't particularly pretty sentences, but I think they are usable.

"Shake" is a little odd, as it brings to mind someone picking up the hardware and literally shaking it. I saw joystick calibration instructions once that said something like "move the stick around in every direction," but of course that probably won't fit in your small box.
Will /Chicago /USA

Hardy Heinlin

James B. would say: "Shaken, not stirred."

]-[ardy

James H

Maybe instead of shake, use "fully deflect"?

James.

Will

QuoteJames B. would say: "Shaken, not stirred."

Indeed he would! But in the English speaking world, there is also the admonition to avoid shaking so as not to "bruise the gin." Maybe by insisting on shaken martinis, James was showing he wasn't afraid to rough up his drink a little bit.
Will /Chicago /USA

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: James H on Fri,  6 Jul 2018 03:08
Maybe instead of shake, use "fully deflect"?

Full deflection should be avoided by all means when detecting the center tolerance.

The detector wants to detect the greatest deviation from the center position when the hardware is vibrating in the center position. (If you use a Thrustmaster Warthog there will be no deviation.)

In the old version the word "neutral zone" was used for this. Now it's called "center tolerance". If your neutral zone was as great as full deflection, the flight deck would never receive any deflection commands.

|-|ardy

Will

Now I see what you meant. "Shake" sounds kinda violent. What about "wiggle" instead?
Will /Chicago /USA

Greg Hateley

Hi Hardy,
Would it be possible, while looking at brakes, that there could be a dual brake input for separate Capt and FO brakes. The logic in software could the the largest value gets control, ie whatever brake is pushed the most is the brake in command. To have a > in electronics is quite messy and requiring a dedicated circuit before presenting that input into to the game card.
Please and asking, but if Im the only one, I understand.
Regards
Greg

Hardy Heinlin

Hi Will,

"wiggle" sounds good. Any opinions from other users including non-native english readers? What's easier to understand?

a) Wiggle the hardware
b) Waggle the hardware
c) Shake the hardware
d) Joggle the hardware
e) ...

Most pilots (sim and real) know what a stick shaker is. It's a common term. It shakes the stick. As far as I know, there is no term like stick wiggler etc. I think "shake" is the word that most users will understand.

Hi Greg,

in my opinion, a "last event" condition is just as reliable as a "greater-than, then keep" condition. And that's already available if you use two networked PSX instances with one pedal pair on each PSX instance. When the captain moves the pedal, the PSX pedal goes to the captain's pedal. Vice versa when the F/O moves the pedal. It works in any direction and on any axes (also on ailerons etc.).

If you get noise near the full aft position, you may use the new calibration features and increase the full aft value above the noise level. So there will be no random flip-flops between the two pedal pairs.

Regards,

|-|ardy

cagarini

I'd simply use something like: "Set nullzone bias"  like we have in ELITE IFR... Everyone understands that fine :-)

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: cavaricooper on Tue,  5 Jun 2018 17:01
... my toe brake axis' only move the brake hooks from half to full on... I never get to full off.

For problems like these, additional calibration features are now available in PSX update 10.36:

http://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=4191.0

|-|ardy