News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PSX Remote Not Working

Started by Mariano, Sat, 2 Jun 2018 18:02

Mariano

Hi,

My PSX remote stopped working. I assume that an iOS update is the cause, since the app itself hasn't had an update in a while. Is anyone else experiencing the same?

It used to connect immediately and worked flawlessly until a month or so ago.

Just making sure that I'm not the only one having this issue.

Best regards,

Mariano

simonijs

Well...: last week it stopped working on my iPad - a very old one, not updated since 2016 or so. Next Monday, someone will visit and bring along his much younger iPad. I will let you know if that one connects.

Regards,
Simon

cavaricooper

Working here... iPad Mini Original and iPad Pro 10.5

Best- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Quote from: cavaricooper on Fri, 23 Aug 2019 22:28

Which iOS versions?

From September, iOS won't be further developed on (newer) iPads. It's going to be iPadOS. Probably most iOS apps will still run, but it will be a slippery slope from then on.

cavaricooper

Hoppie-

The original iPad Mini which is permanently left at my sim is running iOS 9.3.5(13G36) which is the latest version it will run.  My iPad Pro stays constantly updated.

I find PSX Remote indispensable, so I do hope it will work going forward!

Best- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

simonijs

My iPad version is iOS 9.3.5 and it worked without any problems until last week. Since then, it refuses to connect.

Somehow, I think it might be connected to an OS-update on my (new) iMAC, that was installed last week as well. That iMAC is the PSX server...

Regards,
Simon

Phil Bunch

Quote from: Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers on Fri, 23 Aug 2019 23:09
Quote from: cavaricooper on Fri, 23 Aug 2019 22:28

Which iOS versions?

From September, iOS won't be further developed on (newer) iPads. It's going to be iPadOS. Probably most iOS apps will still run, but it will be a slippery slope from then on.

Thanks for the info.

I've had a LOT aof trouble in the past few years with IOS updates obsoleting my apps - some of them were fairly expensive specialized apps and the vendors are for whatever reasons not updating them.  That was mostly OK with me as long as they still worked after new IOS releases.  These apps were error-free/stable and fully featured, so I really miss having access to them.  The last IOS change that killed a lot of my apps was converting IOS from 32 bits to 64 bits, IIRC.  I guess Apple doesn't believe in "compatibility mode" switches or any of those things.

There are so many millions of IOS apps out there, it is apparently a weird market - too many apps chasing too few potential customers...too few new buyers to pay them enough to keep these apps updated. This is a dysfunctional market in some ways.  Customers buy various apps, they work for at most a few years, and then they're out of luck!  That experience quickly damages the IOS market, IMO.  I suspect that the original developers have simply moved on, preferring to work on systems that don't become unmaintainable after a few years...

These concerns don't apply to very successful, larger user base apps that are tied to external services.  For example, major league sports apps have plenty of users and the sport sponsor will keep the app running for its own reasons.  Same thing applies to major news services apps such as CNN or the BBC.

It is also annoying when by design, older iPads can't run recent IOS releases.

Is the Android OS any better re compatibility of older apps and hardware? 

I hope this note isn't too far off-topic.
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

cavaricooper

Quote from: Simonijs on Sun, 25 Aug 2019 11:57
My iPad version is iOS 9.3.5 and it worked without any problems until last week. Since then, it refuses to connect.

Somehow, I think it might be connected to an OS-update on my (new) iMAC, that was installed last week as well. That iMAC is the PSX server...

Regards,
Simon

Ok, that got me thinking, as I tested this on my PC installation.  To verify, I started up PSX on my Mac- and luckily, it still connects.
Info attached so that you can compare with your version...

BTW Phil- Apple with all its faults is still miles ahead of Android OS IMHO. Horses for courses...

Best- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Apple phases out "older" hardware on purpose. Often, the same apps are re-generated with a new software development kit for a newer release of iOS that no longer works on the older hardware. The app then disappears from the AppStore that you see from that device. It seems the developer has abandoned you, but in reality Apple has abandoned you, asking impolitely to just buy a new phone/pad/pod/mac.

iOS 13 for example left almost all my development H/W behind so at work I'm stuck with the only app I maintain (search for "Avionica satLINK Mobile"). But it still works on BlackBerry  :-/

Hoppie

simonijs

QuoteInfo attached so that you can compare with your version...

Very strange...: I am seeing Mojave Version 10.14.6 on my system as well !  Will give it one more try later today.

Regards,
Simon

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Also, for many of these networking components, some firewall rules need to be relaxed a bit, ports opened, etc. It is quite possible that an otherwise nonrelated upgrade of something, also reset these firewall rules. It's important to know which components listen on the network, as these nearly always need a firewall wormhole to be opened. Components that go out on the network rarely need such a wormhole.

Hoppie

Pipsara

Working perfectly on ios 12.4.1
Kind regards Mike

cavaricooper

Confirmed- my iPad Pro is running iOS 12.4.1 and connects without issue.

C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

G-CIVA

Quote from: cavaricooper on Fri, 30 Aug 2019 15:12
my iPad Pro is running iOS 12.4.1 and connects without issue.

As are mine.
Steve Bell
aka The CC

felixk2

I'm the developer of PSX Remote, are you still having issues with it? I just tried it iPad Pro iOS 12.4 and it works fine...

simonijs

Hi Felix,

I haven't been home for some time, sorry for a late reply. Yesterday, I deleted everything on this 2011 iPad (IOS 9.3.5) and had the factory settings re-installed. PSX Remote was installed again, but no joy.
Then one of my MAC's did not "see" WiFi, for which I had to reset my router. After this reset, PSX Remote was connecting again as usual. Apparently, this has been the problem all that time.

But...: it is back, and I am happy again!

Regards,
Simon

cavaricooper

Quote from: felixk2 on Wed, 11 Sep 2019 01:00
I'm the developer of PSX Remote, are you still having issues with it? I just tried it iPad Pro iOS 12.4 and it works fine...

I simply want to say, "Thank-you Sir!" I have used your creation for hundreds of hours and it has always functioned flawlessly.

Best- Carl
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Mariano

Hi Felix,

Thanks for the support.

For the past few months, my PSX Remote has been slow to react to keypresses and, most of the time, it ends up freezing PSX altogether.

This wasn't so before. I updated my iPad iOS to the latest version, to no avail.

Would you like detailed iOS information? Please let me know what other data with which to provide you, should you want to look into this. I will be home shortly.

Edit: Nothing has changed with my system or with PSX and its settings (aside from updated PSX versions) nevertheless, it could be an issue foreign to PSX Remote, despite the fact that pressing any PSX Remote key is the only action that causes freezing.

Thank you and best regards,

Mariano

truckdriverhsu

Quote from: felixk2 on Wed, 11 Sep 2019 01:00

hi, thanks for developing this.

id like to ask where do i find a IP address of the PSX server? i found an IP under "preferences -> basics -> "this host address 192.168.10.115".

However when i input this into the ipad, it doesnt connect, and then shows disconnected. well, how can it disconnect if it doesnt connect in the first place. ok sorry going off topic.

please advice where i can get the correct IP address if where i got mine is wrong. or how may i troubleshoot?

Timo

PSX Remote works fine on my setup:

MacBook Pro M1 macOS 11.4

"old" Ipad Mini 2  iOS 12.5.3

Regards, Timo