News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Weather Injection via P3D experiences

Started by Jurgen, Sat, 26 May 2018 09:00

tango4

Well, for me the biggest problem is synchronizing your flight planning with the sim.
The global model present in PSX is excellent in itself. The problem is that PFPX which I use for flight planning does not have a way to know PSX predictions. So you basically have to use real world weather for your flight plan. But then your calculations will always be wrong because the wind will not be the same. It can happen in real life, but only once in a while. Most of the time, planned wind and actual wind should be pretty close. So if you have a much bigger fuel burn than expected you might suspect a fuel leak (or your flight plan was somehow optimistic due ATC vectors, and so on).
Now, there are workarounds. I use WIdePSX mostly for that purpose in offline mode. But a built in online weather would be awesome.
Now let's be clear, I do realize that days only last 24hours, even for Hardy, and that it would be quite some work. So choosing to postpone it is perfectly understandable.

Charles

Hardy Heinlin

Of course, the user must be allowed to change between the two modes at any time: Between the real-life aloft weather mode and the self-made weather mode. The self-made weather mode will not cease to exist.

|-|ardy

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Quote from: tango4 on Thu, 31 May 2018 12:51
I do realize that days only last 24hours, even for Hardy
Hardy is actually on 25 hour days, I believe.

Hoppie

cagarini

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Thu, 31 May 2018 18:42
Of course, the user must be allowed to change between the two modes at any time: Between the real-life aloft weather mode and the self-made weather mode. The self-made weather mode will not cease to exist.

|-|ardy

That's great, specially because in my case I really prefer to use the built-in weather model, and also because using RW data, METAR observations and Aloft forecasts, SIGMET, and so on..., is something we will never have for sure can't be closed to free/open access at any time in the future... 

Actually the ideal would be an additional feature that would generate METAR and even SIGMET based on PSX's Global Weather Model, and populate the stations / areas with that info when not downloading METAR from the Internet.

Then, maybe someday someone can develop a PFPX connector that allows for injection of PSX's weather into PFPX and that way allow for flighplans to be dispatched with weather matching what will be found in PSX, although that will require a more complex algorithm to introduce the necessary "randomness" into the data that is passed to PFPX.

Jurgen

We love the IOS as it closely resembles many features we find on the FFS we use for our clients training. I am not after eye candy or upper wind data, but rather would be able to visualize the CAT I - III / CAVOK weather situations into P3D for the training that is done on the simulator.

G-CIVA

Quote from: Jurgen on Mon,  4 Jun 2018 03:26I am not after eye candy or upper wind data, but rather would be able to visualize the CAT I - III / CAVOK weather situations into P3D for the training that is done on the simulator.

Apples & Oranges time again.  Although I would not necessarily agree that real world wind data would fall into the same category as 'eye candy'.

Quote from: G-CIVA on Tue, 29 May 2018 10:27Some people will say its like apples & oranges - if you are using PSX simply as a procedural trainer then I would imagine that the facility to have real world upper winds & temperatures injected into PSX is of little value.

If on the other hand you are a hard core simmer & you like to utilise flight planning software like PFPX & you do like to combine the 'art' of planning & flying for somewhat longer (some of us do) then accurate real world representative upper winds & temperatures do become very relevant to your overall PSX experience.

I would take it as a 'given' Hardy will always retain the traditional 'characteristics' of PSX/PS13 heritage that will satisfy the fixed base training functionalities that PSX offers to the detriment of pretty much anything else.

Should that 'anything else' risk the former I would expect it does not make it out of Hardy's computer(s).

I would also think that if he can develop a means to satisfy the desire to have the option of real world upper wind data & temperatures imported into PSX he no doubt will find a way to do it, as he has said - its all about priorities.  The option to not have this selected will, as he has stated remain available, so it would be a win win for all of us.
Steve Bell
aka The CC

Jurgen

You got me on the upper winds injection ;D We just start to explore the training capability of Hardy's masterpiece and using P3D as the visualization with all the options the IOS offers would be something of a dream.