News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

ACE 747 USB Yoke for sale

Started by JP59, Fri, 18 May 2018 15:41

JP59

Hello,

I recently bought dual linked yokes, and I have a standalone USB captain side 747-400 yoke from ACE for sale. The yoke is in excellent used condition, only some very light scuff, dings and scratches, USB plug and play, all metal construction.

I am asking for 800 USD plus shipment cost depending of destination. The yoke is actually in France. Below are some pictures.

Best regards,
Jean-philippe

Britjet

Hi Jean-Philippe,

Definitely interested. Can you email me at p DOT ward3 AT Btinternet.com.
Thanks..

Peter

JP59

emerydc8

Hi Peter,

If/when you get it, I would be interested in your opinion on how close it is to the real plane. I think my PFC yoke is way too light on the controls.

I need to find a tension measuring device or scale of some sort to check the real yoke on the ground and maybe somewhere in flight if the conditions are right.

Have you ever checked the sim to see what kind of control force it takes in various phases?

Jon

Hardy Heinlin

Hi Jon,

there is a special algorithm in the elevator feel computer. The force depends on EAS and stab trim (to derive the current CG). PSX models this algorithm very precisely. The psi pressure is indicated on the Analysis pages.

For reference: Aerowinx manual page 276 (new manual) or page 265 (old manual).

Regards,

|-|ardy

b744erf

Hello Jon
I just tested the tension of the yoke and column on a 737 when parking on ground with HYD.
Yoke L/R at lest 1.3 KG to move, 6.7 KG full on each side.
Column Fwd/Bckwd at lest 6.7KG to move, 13.2KG when full pull or push.
Of course that is quite different when airborne. As Hardy said it is depends on EAS, stab trim...
Don't know the difference between 73 and 74, but I only got the chance to do the test with a dynamometer.
Test point,
yoke L/R - and the end of the bottom of the yoke.
Column - push at the center of the clip board.

Regards
Jack.

emerydc8

[T]here is a special algorithm in the elevator feel computer. The force depends on EAS and stab trim (to derive the current CG). PSX models this algorithm very precisely. The psi pressure is indicated on the Analysis pages.

Thanks, Hardy. I have to admit that I never looked at the new manual. That is a masterpiece! Probably the most detailed 744 manual available if you really wanted to dig into the systems.

QuoteI just tested the tension of the yoke and column on a 737 when parking on ground with HYD.
Yoke L/R at lest 1.3 KG to move, 6.7 KG full on each side.
Column Fwd/Bckwd at lest 6.7KG to move, 13.2KG when full pull or push.
Of course that is quite different when airborne. As Hardy said it is depends on EAS, stab trim...
Don't know the difference between 73 and 74, but I only got the chance to do the test with a dynamometer.
Test point,
yoke L/R - and the end of the bottom of the yoke.
Column - push at the center of the clip board.

Thanks, Jack! I measured my PFC yoke and only got about 5 pounds with the elevator fully aft, compared to your measurement of almost 30 pounds on the 737. I think the PFC yoke claims to be modeled after the 737.

I understand there there are variations based on EAS and CG/trim in the air. The weight of the airplane definitely affects the force as well. Certain airplanes in our fleet just have a heavier feel even though they are the exact same make and model. In any case, my current yoke is woefully unrealistic, so once I get your overhead up and running, I think the control force issue will be next on my to-do list. Maybe the PFC rudder after that because I'm tired of breaking springs at $40 a set.

Cheers,
Jon

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: emerydc8 on Sat, 19 May 2018 19:55
Thanks, Hardy. I have to admit that I never looked at the new manual.

It's also in the old manual. I point at the "new manual" just because the page numbers I mention refer to the new one :-)

emerydc8

Britjet

Jon - interesting thought - actually I was intending to get round to the actual force in the sim by means of a standard spring weight system. Sims always feel "springy" compared to the real thing as I'm sure you would agree...
I will try to get it done soon..
Peter

Chris Kilroy

I had a couple ACE yokes in my 737 sim back in the day before I sprung for the linked ones. The ACE yoke is way too light on the controls; about the same feel as the PA38 Tomahawk I did most of my PPL flying in, which is pretty darned light considering a PA28 or a 172 felt about twice as heavy.

I later replaced the yokes in the 737 with a linked set from Northern Flight Sim, and I'm using FDS' linked yokes in my 747. Both products use big, thick springs to get things feeling proper.

John H Watson

The 744 Maintenance Manual says:

With stabiliser in certain position (defined in inches)...
Move the column slowly to 5/6ths of full aft position (approx 10deg). Force = 20~30lbs
Pressurise pitot-statics to 237kts
Repeat above. Force = 53~73lbs

In another test:
Pressurize pitot/statics to 204kts (+/-80kts)
Stab at 5 units...
Breakout force 8.6lbs
Control column in full aft position (Force = 72 to 106lbs).
Trim to full nose up.
Breakout force = same as before
Control column in full aft position (Force = 40~55lbs)

emerydc8

Peter: I agree -- the sim always seems springy compared to the airplane. I will be interested in your results though.

Chris: Thanks for the info. My PFC yoke at about 5 pounds is more in line with the Traumahawk I used to teach in 32 years ago. It's easy to forget just how much force the real airplane takes. When I built my sim, I had already been out of flying for a few years, so the muscle memory of how much force it took for the real plane wasn't fresh. It wasn't until this month that I flew my sim and then jumped in the real plane within 24 hours that the difference became evident. I'll look into Northern Flight Sim.

John: This is great information -- Stuff they keep away from pilots!

Jon