News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

RTP Failure

Started by simonijs, Mon, 14 May 2018 09:19

simonijs

Good Morning,

The other day I had RTP L & R tuned to VHF L & R (with frequencies shown in both ACTIVE and STANDBY windows), while RTP C showed PANEL (in the Active window) and FAIL (in the Standby window). I read this as: "this panel has failed". RTP-C could not be switched off, pressing the "OFF" button.
The Central Maintenance Computer showed a VHF-C failure and suggested to reset the circuit breaker. Pulling this CB blanked the centre RTP, with          > DATALINK LOST shown on EICAS. Pushing the CB back in: > DATALINK AVAIL was subsequently shown.

I was expecting to have lost Datalink communication with this failure, but was surprised to be able to request and receive clearances, or receive ATIS messages with this failure. With the VHF-C CB pulled, I was also expecting to not be able to use VHF-C on RTP-L or R, but you can! So, the CB's labelled VHF L/C/R only affect the operation of RTP L/C/R.

I have read the Aerowinx Manual (page 168, and 176) on this subject, and KLM's AOM Volume I (Systems) from which I understand that I need to select VHF-C somewhere for uplinks and downlinks.

So my questions:
•   In this case, did only the panel itself fail with VHF-C still running in the background, allowing ACARS operation?
•   Would the CMC-message "VHF-C fail" then show the correct failure?
•   Would a pilot be allowed to follow up on CMC Notes (to pull and push a CB)?
•   Resetting all malfunctions on the instructor page does not clear PANEL & FAIL on the centre RTP. What specific procedure is required to get this fixed?

Kind regards,
Simon

Hardy Heinlin

Hi Simon,

the RTP is just for the control. There is no radio in the RTP. Each RTP has a memory where it stores its frequency settings.

The VHF CB powers the related VHF radio (L, C, or R) and RTP (L, C, or R accordingly). The RTP has no dedicated CB.

Regards,

|-|ardy

simonijs

OK, that is understood.

Nevertheless...: the same failure did pop-up again for the right panel on yet another PSX-flight, with the same wording "PANEL" & "FAIL". The CMC, however, showed "VHF-R transceiver failed". I guess that is the radio itself, hence my question the other day (would datalink be possible with a failed transmitter/receiver?). Could it be possible that there is some discrepancy between what I see on the PSX-pedestal, and what is shown in Avi's CMC?

On the instructor's Malfunctions page, now resetting malfunctions cleared the failure (listed as a RTP-R failure) and all red font disappeared. That was not the case when I first wrote about this: all font was normal after a reset, but PANEL & FAIL could not be cleared.

Kind regards,
Simon

Hardy Heinlin

I guess Avi's CMC interpretes this as a radio failure. But it's really just an RTP failure as indicated on the Instructor.

Severe malfunction is non-resettable, else it's resettable by CB cycling. Can you see the description of each malfunction?

When you use random failures this is randomized.

Regards,

|-|ardy

simonijs

Checked!

Yes, I see the malfunction description within PSX and also within CMC (I usually do connect CMC ). In CMC it is registered as a NON-FDE, under NOTES it suggest to pull the CB and then push in again. This is exactly how it should be done for a(n) RTP failure... I have the failures randomized. Sometimes it is a long sit, sometimes back within the hour  :)

Thanks, now I know.

Regards, again!
Simon

Hardy Heinlin

Just rechecked Avi's CMC: It correctly says "panel failure" when "severe" has been activated, else it incorrectly says "VHF failure". In both cases it shoud say "panel failure".

In the non-severe case, the "Notes" should refer to the "RCP" (or "RTP") instead of the "transceiver".

|-|

simonijs

Tank you, Hardy !

Regards,
S.

simonijs

Hardy Heinlin

You're welcome. By the way, on this forum, members are allowed to edit their posts :-)

Avi

Ha... someone uses CMC-PSX, nice to know.

I tried to generate as many CMC fault messages as possible per PSX malfunctions. In one case, for example, for the Gear disagree malfunctions I generate for the non-severe case different PSEU fault messages even though in PSX it is a kind of a mechanical malfunctions: the gears don't move but in general I did try to fit between PSX malfunctions and the CMC fault messages.

I don't remember what I did 4 years ago about the RCP malfunctions (it could be I wanted to generate 2 different fault messages) and, apparently, there is a problem here so I will modify CMC-PSX so the same fault message (RCP fail) will be generated for both cases of these malfunctions.

Cheers,
Avi Adin
LLBG

simonijs

Hi Avi,

In another post, I saw you already updated CMC. Thanks very much: for the app itself - usually the first client to connect - and for this update!

Kind regards,
Simon