News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Callouts

Started by peb, Fri, 23 Mar 2018 17:30

peb

I have created a .pilot file (by copying and modifying existing) and a corresponding folder containing all the required Callout and Checklist .wav files, all exactly as per Will's tutorial.

Everything seems ok when my pilot is selected with all my Callout and Checklist entries appearing correctly in the Instructor Panel Situation/Human/Pilot screen.  Plus I can 'step' through all the Checklists and each wav file plays as intended so all is good I thought.

However when I select a takeoff Situation (to test some of the Callouts), select the correct aircraft and select my pilot, despite the Instructor Panel showing all my Callouts and Checklists to be present, when I initiate 'automatic' takeoff (being lazy), my intended Callouts don't happen - but some others do!

In my folder I have included wav files 1801-1805, 1850, 1900-1903 because I have seen them in other pilot folders even though I don't know how or when they are used. It appears that files 1901,2 and 3 are being played instead of 1010, 1020, etc.

Could this be correct or put another way, how or when are the files 1801 to 1903 used and do they take precedence over other Callout files?

Sorry if this has been answered before.

Thanks for any help.

Will

Hi peb,

I'm glad you got things up and working with your atudio files! At this point, all seems like it's working as it should.

When you let the virtual pilot perform the takeoff, you actually become the pilot not flying (PNF), and so you won't hear your pilot making the PNF callouts. Instead, you would make the PNF calls yourself, so that your flying pilot could concentrate on performing the takeoff.

So again, if you are the PNF, then you would say, out loud, with your actual voice, "Power Set" and "80 knots" and so on.

Those 19xx.wav files are played because those are pilot flying (PF) callouts suitable to that phase of flight. For example, the flying pilot asks for the gear to be set UP, and says "checked" when you say "80 knots."

Or put another way, 1010, 1020, etc. are the PNF calls. 1900-1903 are the PF calls. When you let the virtual pilot perform the takeoff, the computer will say the PF calls (only). When you perform the takeoff, you are the PF, so the computer says the PNF calls.

See also the manual, version 10.1.7, on page 47.
Will /Chicago /USA

peb

Aha.  Thanks very much Will and for your quick reply. At least I have learned yet more about PSX so am getting there .. slowly.

peb

Will, just to confirm that when I use PSX 'properly' the callouts work correctly. Thanks again.