News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Flight Deck Measurements Question

Started by Chris Kilroy, Wed, 21 Mar 2018 05:47

Chris Kilroy

Hi guys,

I'm expanding my sim to (hopefully) encompass the entire 1:1 scale size of the 747-400 flight deck, and as I calculate required space and the dims of the base expansion I'll have to build, I was wondering if any of you who have access to such could tell me the distance from the very back of the overhead panel (where it meets the cockpit trim) to the door. That'll give me a ballpark at least for how far back I need to expand things.

Thanks in advance!

asboyd

I have a copy of some dimensions available on Mycockpit.org. They are in feet/inches so you might find them of some use. You can download tehm from my dropbox using this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wtajf61e72l9zf3/744FeetInches.zip?dl=0

I hope they are useful to you.
Cheers,
Alex B
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

Chris Kilroy

Thanks, Alex. Unfortunately these aren't helpful because they only depict an 8ft simulator shell, which is essentially what I have now, and not the actual 747-400 flight deck which goes back several more feet.

asboyd

Maybe contact the Britjet guys they seem to have a reasonably sized setup...

Cheers,
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

jb747

744sim

Hi Jon,

I'm interested in the same information that Chris was looking for. I would be very grateful if you would be kind enough to share it with me also.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards,
Javier / Barcelona (Spain)

jb747

Chris Kilroy

Thanks, Jon. This is the same file Alex linked above and references, I believe, a FDS 747-400 shell rather than the actual flight deck. Gary has kindly offered to grab the measurement I'm seeking a bit later this evening, so unless he wants to post here, I'll pass it along once I get it from him.

John H Watson

Do you have the location of the pedestal? Not all 744 cockpits are created equal, but 15.5 inches behind our pedestal is a small step in the floor (about 1.75 inches high). The door on our aircraft is 78 inches behind this step. Note that we have a toilet in our cockpit on the right hand side.

If the other sources of measurements do not match this, then you'll have to specify a cockpit layout.

(EDIT: actually, I'm starting to doubt the measurements I took...  I have the toilet as being 34 inches wide. This seems too small)

John H Watson

Chris Kilroy

Quote from: John H Watson on Thu, 22 Mar 2018 07:04
So you want this dimension?

Rear cockpit view

Hi John,

Sorry for the late reply. House renovations have kept me away from the sim stuff more than I'd like!

Yes, please, and if it's not too much trouble, the dimension along the same white line but from the rear of the overhead only to the ceiling divet just in front of the lav.

Thanks again!

John H Watson

Sorry, I won't be able to help with the measurement (I have retired from the aviation industry). I was just helping to clarify which measurement you needed.

Is this correct?

Overheat panel to rear of cockpit measurement

the mad hatter

i have full aircraft deck in TX   so you may visit if you wish    location austin