News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Aerowinx Nav Database Update 2018

Started by Hardy Heinlin, Mon, 26 Feb 2018 10:27

Hardy Heinlin

Hi Daniel,

in the folder Aerowinx/Navigation/ there are 47 files and 2 subfolders, i.e. 49 objects.

The two subfolders are:

Aerowinx/Navigation/-New
Aerowinx/Navigation/-Old

When you want to install the new nav database, there should be one file in Aerowinx/Navigation/-New

Just one. Not more than one. And that one file is nav1803.zip

So this is what must be set before you start PSX:

Aerowinx/Navigation/-New/nav1803.zip

OK?

When PSX starts, nav1803.zip will be installed automatically, and Aerowinx/Navigation/-New/ will be empty, and the zip file will be archived in the "-Old" subfolder: Aerowinx/Navigation/-Old/nav1803.zip

Regards,

|-|ardy

If you have something like this ...

Aerowinx/Navigation/Navigation/...

... then delete that second Navigation/... and its included files.

In Aerowinx/Navigation/ there should be only two subfolders:

Aerowinx/Navigation/-New
Aerowinx/Navigation/-Old

... and 47 non-folder files.
49 objects in total.

Be sure that your Windows doesn't show the contents of a zip file that isn't actually unzipped, but looks as if it was unzipped. It may be just a preview, generated by Windows.

danpil

hello Hardy
IT WORKS OK.
THANKS A LOT !You're always the BEST.

Just one question:
I would like to see on another screen the landscape..runway..
I've seen in the forum different solutions ...
My computer is a MAC PRO .
I'm ready to buy another computer mac or windows and another screen of course.

What solution do you suggest not to be disappointed?
If you cannot answer because of your position FORGET IT.
Thanks once more
Daniel

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

If you want to hook up what we call a 'scenery generator', a system that flies a virtual camera over a virtual planet so you have the impression that you look out of the window of an aircraft, then you are looking for the various "Visual" extensions. Most are based on P3D (ex-FSX) or X-Plane. You will need to figure out first which of these two you want, which comes with a whole lot of hardware and other recommendations.

Please open a new thread 'Which scenery generator to use?' and start the discussion there. It isn't really simple to do, so spend time on research.

Hoppie

cagarini

When a former database update ( say one from 2015 ) is used, put inside the "-New" folder, under "Navigation", instead of the lastest made available ( presently nav1803.zip ) are the additional Radar display features available, or are these only activated with the latest edition of the Nav Database ?

Ok, I suppose it'll work for Nav Databases starting at 1603....

United744

SimWare Belgium link takes you to the 2017 nav data, and searching their site, only the 2017 nav data, and PSX itself, is available.

They appear to NOT be selling the 2018 nav data!

Hardy Heinlin

I don't think they're selling the 2017 cycle; they just didn't correctly update their webpage text since their last web site redesign. They are affiliated with Aerosoft Germany, and the latest download file on their server always automatially overwrites the previous version.

I'll ask them to recheck their web text.

|-|ardy

Hardy Heinlin

The SimWare web page now shows the correct text again.

hohum

Quote from: United744 on Wed,  4 Jul 2018 23:16
why do you want 28-day updates?

@Hardy: Thank you as always! :D

You can't always fly online without an updated AIRAC.   Flying around the PilotEdge coverage area becomes problematic if you're using old navdata.   As an example. the HAWKZ arrival into KSEA has undergone two revisions since the last time Aerowinx published a new cycle.   

I understand it violates Aerowinx's commercial contracts but there should be an option for non-commercial users to use a provider that has 28-day cycles. 

I'm planning a home cockpit project and shopping around for a decent combination of software and supported hardware.   I'm glad I found this thread because building a 744 just got bumped down a bit on my consideration shortlist. 

Hardy Heinlin

The keyword is "entertainment", not "commercial". Commercial is everything -- except for freeware.

Unfortunately, you can't get "entertainment" prices and features when you are in a product segment for professionals. The category is determined by the product, not by the type of user.

You may want to think about your priorities: You may get a professional realistic simulator like PSX that is used at airlines for training and allow the current navdata update intervals. Or get a less realistic entertainment simulator and buy monthly navdata updates for entertainment market prices. If online ATC is your primary focus, I recommend to not buy PSX.

There is one feature, however, you shouldn't overlook: In PSX you can load FMC routes that have been generated by PFPX or Simbrief. When those programs use current navdata, their generated route includes current navdata as well. And that route data is then used in PSX too.

Regards,

|-|ardy

hohum

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Mon,  7 Jan 2019 08:08
The keyword is "entertainment", not "commercial". Commercial is everything -- except for freeware.

Unfortunately, you can't get "entertainment" prices and features when you are in a product segment for professionals. The category is determined by the product, not by the type of user.

This isn't true at all.   For example, while a bit more expensive of a product, the ProSim-AR 737 has support for Navigraph data.

Or get a less realistic entertainment simulator and buy monthly navdata updates for entertainment market prices. If online ATC is your primary focus, I recommend to not buy PSX.

These two things don't need to be mutually exclusive.   There are plenty of home cockpit projects capable of connecting to live ATC networks. 

There is one feature, however, you shouldn't overlook: In PSX you can load FMC routes that have been generated by PFPX or Simbrief. When those programs use current navdata, their generated route includes current navdata as well. And that route data is then used in PSX too.

And what do I do if ATC switches my runway assignment on me or puts me on a different procedure en-route?   I can't very well walk back to the instructor station and load a new PFPX route plan while I'm trying to fly an airplane.   

By your own words, you're aiming for realism, not entertainment.    For some people, part of that includes real-world procedures and realistic ATC interaction.   PE really is more of a training environment than it is meant for home entertainment use. 

I personally wouldn't mind paying extra, even hundreds of dollars, for the ability to use 28-day AIRAC cycles.   If anything, PSX is currently underpriced for what it is.    Software is usually the least expensive part of a hardware simulator.   

Hardy Heinlin

As far as I understand it, Prosim737 is a non-stand-alone program that depends on Microsoft Flight Simulator or Lockheed Martin Prepar3D. Is that correct?

PSX is a stand-alone simulator. I could remove 50% of its features, and make it an add-on product for the Microsoft Games department. Then I may get a contract with Navigraph or Aerosoft.

tango4

Would it be possible to imagine a "dual" database option, where the "entertainment" database would be limited to home use ?
What I mean is:
-IF you are using PSX in a professional way, then you HAVE to use a NavBlue database
-IF you are a home user you can choose either navblue OR Navigraph. But as long as a Navigraph one is installed you are RESTRICTED to a home use.

But I am by no means an expert in legal matters so I don't know if it is even possible.

Charles

beat578

I don't think that would be possible Charles
As far as I see, the Simulator has the possibility to serve as a professional simulator. Thats enought to be handled like that. Else Hardy would be forced to give out two versions, as he said, one stripped and a full one.
Or he would hire a team of people managing different licences, checking if you really could apply for a "game DB Licence" or not, ending in administration instead of devloping... I don't think that's really what we want.

I can see that if you fly online a lot it would be interesting to be more accurate. But I don't see any way to get that be done with PSX. Mabe: If there would be a tracker of what really changed in Database in since the installed circle, it would help online simmers to check how accurate their chards are? So you can fly around critical airports then?

Hardy Heinlin

beat578 is right.

It's not possible to sell the same orange at different prices and licenses. Nobody can check if the orange eater is dancing or learning. Either you get an apple or an orange. Two products, two prices, two licenses.

tango4

Understood Hardy.

And personally I do not fly online.
The main reason I'd like to get such an update would be to have my charts in sync with my sim.
The problem I have with my charts is that navigraph (or aerosoft) chart subscription are cloud based, which means I am forced to use the latest cycle. For me if they gave me the option to revert charts to PSX cycle that would be perfect.
But at the moment I do not know of a legal way to buy a given charts cycle.

hohum

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Mon,  7 Jan 2019 15:12
PSX is a stand-alone simulator. I could remove 50% of its features, and make it an add-on product for the Microsoft Games department. Then I may get a contract with Navigraph or Aerosoft.

So the issue is Navigraph and Aerosoft only license their data for X-Plane and ESP-platform sims?   

Then what would it take to get Navblue to release data more often?   

Gary Oliver

HoHum,

As a fellow Sim Builder (www.simfest.co.uk / www.twitch.tv/simfestuk) who has written and used other 'Home Cockpit' software for several simulators I have been involved in building can I add an opinion?

I would not even bother to build another simulator not running PSX, I would have gone even more grey than I have already.

I also fly online at least twice a week and agree the AIRAC cycle is a bit of a faff on the SID/STAR front, however when surrounded by a simulator that runs for 24 hours for 7 days a week, that actually flies like a 747, with PSX then it really doesn't matter.

If every time an instance of P3D crashed I lost the whole Sim I would have given up by now.

I'm sure the others on the forum who have struggled with other software will chime in here too but that's probably worthy of its own thread.

Regarding Nav database updates... I am sure there are enough of us who would form a mini consortium to fund more update cycles if Hardy is able to support the extra processing of the navigation data.  Out of interest is this something you would be interested in discussing offline Hardy?

Cheers
G

Hardy Heinlin

This is something I wouldn't be interested in discussing, Gary. I would just repeat what I always repeat :-)

Cheers,

|-|ardy

cagarini

Airlinetools uses LIDO, but I don't really know what type of contract they have.

At their site they have:

+ after 12 months a yearly fee of 40 CHF for 13 LIDO FMS NAV Database ARINC cycles. (FlightDeck will also continue to run with outdated FMGS database)

I don't know under which "hat" Airlinetools classifies - professional / leisure ?

ELITE sells the GPS database updates for around CHF 367,00... a lot more expensive...

beat578

JCOMM, Elite is (like PSX) a professional IFR Trainer, aimed for becoming realworld pilots and certified by EASA and the FAA. If you take into account how many People use ELITE and see, that one GPS Update still costs over 300 Euros, you could imagine what it would mean for the PSX community with (what I think) smaller userbase.

I think, the once a year update is the best and still affordable way of having updates at all and still not have to pay huge amounts for them.