News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Aerowinx Nav Database Update 2018

Started by Hardy Heinlin, Mon, 26 Feb 2018 10:27

Hardy Heinlin

Note: This is an outdated thread; here is the 2019 thread:
http://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=5157.0

Good morning all,

the Nav Database Update for the year 2018 (using AIRAC cycle 1803) is now available:

Aerowinx Nav Database Update 2018 at Hyway Australia

Aerowinx Nav Database Update 2018 at Aviation Megastore

Aerowinx Nav Database Update 2018 at Aerosoft USA

Aerowinx Nav Database Update 2018 at Aerosoft Germany

Aerowinx Nav Database Update 2018 at Simware Belgium

Like the previous update, this new 2018 update too will enable the enhanced weather radar graphics that are available in PSX version 10.0.8 and higher. If you have questions regarding the weather radar, please post them in this thread.

If your last nav database is older than two years and you are used to the name "Navtech", please note that our database provider is still the same, but they are now part of the Airbus Group and they changed their name to "Navblue".

General info:
Precision Simulator has been, and will be, used by professional customers like universities, schools, airlines etc. For this reason, Navigraph and Aerosoft cannot provide data to PSX as they are not authorized by their suppliers to sell data to professional customers, especially not at entertainment mass market prices. Therefore this service here is independent of the others, and the plan is to provide a database update to PSX users once per year (using the March cycle) to keep the costs as low as possible.

The database is used by the following components in Precision Simulator:
- Flight Management System
- EGPWS landing-short-of-runway alert (TCF)
- Navaid stations and receivers
- Airport communication radios and receivers
- Voice-ATC and CPDLC simulation
- Voice-ATIS and D-ATIS
- METAR management
- Instructor maps
- Instructor Analysis pages
- Instructor aircraft repositioning tools
- Scenery generator (runways, gates, airport beacons)

System requirement:
Precision Simulator update 10.0.2 or higher: the latest update can be downloaded free of charge.

Database installation:
Don't unzip the downloaded file. Just copy the zip file to the (empty) subfolder Aerowinx/Navigation/-New and restart Precision Simulator. That's all. If you use multiple computers in a local Precision Simulator network, install the file in the same way also on those computers. With one purchased download you are allowed to use up to four database copies within your local network.

Check your new AIRAC cycle number in Precision Simulator:
When the new database is installed, the cycle number "1803" is displayed on the Instructor screen under About/Quit (refer to page 93* of the manual). Ignore the cycle dates on the FMC IDENT page! Those are simulated cycle dates and vary with the simulated time of the year (refer to page 346*); they are intended for FMS training only, and don't refer to the physically installed cycle.

In the new manual, page 93 is now page 100, and page 346 is now page 357.

Thank you for your interest!

Regards,

|-|ardy

tango4

Up and running !
As usual, many thanks for all your continued efforts.

Charles

cavaricooper

HH-

Purchased and installed- thanks!  This is one of the FEW times I purchase something and feel as though I have received an incredible bargain.  Your constant efforts to move PSX towards perfection are most appreciated.

Best- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

G-CIVA

Thanks Hardy!,  Up & running without any fuss, I'd wager that we as a very small community would pay for this on a six monthly or 3 monthly basis, would either of these be cost effective?

Steve Bell
aka The CC

744kid

Installed. Thanks, Hardy.

A reminder to those with a Mac to turn off automatic unzip in Safari preferences, otherwise you won't have a zipped file to install. Every year I forget this step!

Cheers,

744kid

Aonang

Is Aerosoft the only Navdata provider?

I have an account with Navigraph, which I am very happy with, that I have had for a very long time and I don't really want to pay someone else for the same service.
I also think it would be unfair to Navigraph and to myself if I were to change.
Furthermore, my Navigraph data is updated with each AIRAC cycle which is not so with the NavBlue product and that is very much a disadvantage.

Mike

Hardy Heinlin

Note 1:

Aerowinx is not Aerosoft

The data for PSX is provided by Navblue, and Aerowinx converts the data to PSX readable code.

Note 2:

Precision Simulator has been, and will be, used by professional customers like universities, schools, airlines etc. For this reason, Navigraph and Aerosoft cannot provide data to PSX as they are not authorized by their suppliers to sell data to professional customers, especially not at entertainment mass market prices. Therefore this service here is independent of the others, and the plan is to provide a database update to PSX users once per year (using the March cycle) to keep the costs as low as possible.

Airlines pay thousands of dollars for nav data. They are not allowed to use Navigraph's or Aerosoft's low cost entertainment products. Their low price is low because they are restricted to the entertainment market. You own PSX; you own a product that is not in the entertainment category. There is no bureaucratic automation that is able to tell if you operate PSX at home or in an airline building. If you are a PSX owner, you are a professional, so to speak.

Regards,

|-|ardy

Aonang

I did not say that Aerosoft was Aerowinx, or visa-versa.

I am not a professional customer furthermore, Navigraph would not be selling to Aerowinx but to me so there is no conflict.

It would however require Aerowinx giving Navigraph the format for its Navdata.

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: Aonang on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 05:38
Is Aerosoft the only Navdata provider?

Aerosoft does not provide nav data to PSX. Therefore the question itself is already wrong.

Only Aerowinx provides nav data to PSX.

It doesn't matter how professional you are. The agreement between all those companies refer to products, not to humans.

QuoteIt would however require Aerowinx giving Navigraph the format for its Navdata.

That's not a problem. The problem is not a technical one. It's a business problem. In the past 10 years there have been several intensive discussions between me and Aerosoft and Navigraph and Navblue and Jeppesen, always trying to get the optimal solution. The current status is the final status. Agreements are signed. It's not as simple as you think.

Aonang

The current situation is not ideal, in fact it is not good, when Navdata is bought at some considerable expense only to be obsolete almost as soon as it is purchased!

Flight planning becomes an even more difficult exercise when the source data used for the planning (PFPX for instance) is not recognised by the data in PSX.

And, as a result, any product of the planning software becomes unusable, particularly more so with time.

Mike

Hardy Heinlin

That's not correct. You're missing an important point.

PFPX generates FMC routes which you can load in the PSX FMC.

The PSX FMC will use the new data of that PFPX generated route, not the old data of the PSX database.

So if you have a PFPX route that contains new airways and new waypoints that don't exist in the current PSX database, PSX will nevertheless load these new airways and new waypoints from that route file into its FMC.

This works with any externally made FMC route, not just with PFPX routes.

PSX's internal database is irrelevant when loading a route file. The route file rules.

|-|ardy

Aonang

The problem is that SIDs & STARs are not exported to PSX; as far as PSX is concerned if the required SID or STAR is not in its database PSX assumes a straight line to or from the airport. PSX does not recognise points on SIDs & STARs.
With complex SIDs and STARs, in particular, this is a problem.
The various points of a SID can be entered into the FMC manually, although it can be a PITA, but a STAR is more of a problem as it cannot be predicted which STAR is applicable after a long flight and often the work load on arrival can be too much.

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: Aonang on Wed, 25 Apr 2018 08:55
PSX does not recognise points on SIDs & STARs.

Just to be accurate: PSX can recognise SID & STAR waypoints, but PFPX route files contain no SID & STAR waypoints.

CarlBB

I'm a few months late to the party as usual :) but 100% appreciate this.
Purchased and installed
Thank you !
- Carl

United744

@Aonang: why do you want 28-day updates? If you were to actually look at what changed, you'd be surprised at how few things actually change each month.

A big hint as to whether any SIDs/STARs changed is to look at the revision number (TTREE1, TTREE2, etc..). These probably change once a year, if that.

@Hardy: Thank you as always! :D

danpil

hello Hardy
I bought Aerowing Nav Data Base update 2018 at Aviation Megastore ...
After installation and restart : the cycle number in the instructor page is always 1503.
What mistake have I done ???
Daniel

danpil

Hello Hardy
Must I delete the "old" one ?
Daniel

Hardy Heinlin

Hi Daniel,

don't delete anything. Just copy the downloaded ZIP file to Aerowinx/Navigation/-New and then restart PSX.

What did you do? Did you unzip it? Don't open it. Just copy that ZIP file as is.

|-|ardy

P.S.:

Did you download the file several times and your system renamed the original file name like it did here?
http://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=2870.msg28814#msg28814

What's the file name of the ZIP file that you're trying to install?

danpil

Hello Hardy
Thank you for your answer!
I deleted NOTHING .
The name of the Zip file is nav1803.zip/I didn't unzip it and did what you said .
When I open the blue navigation folder, I see: on top dark files abb.w.....to ms.w then another blue navigation folder which I open again and see black files abb.w ...to pv.w

That is why I asked you if I can or must delete some files;
For information when I go on the instructor page at about/quit I notice aerowinx precision simulator 10.42 and Navigation data by Navtech,Inc .(cycle 1503)
I don't succeed to get cycle 1803

Hope you can help
Daniel