Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News: The latest PSX update (version 10.57 from 7 January 2019) is available at: http://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=4191.0

Author Topic: Aerowinx Nav Database Update 2018  (Read 10862 times)

Markus Vitzethum

Re: Aerowinx Nav Database Update 2018
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 8 Jan 2019 13:16 »
I've seen this discussion multiple times by now. To my experience, it almost always begins with "I cannot fly online on network X or Y".

But as long as I fly online (20 years now), I've never ever seen that the complete network breaks down because of NavData not being up-to-date. Personally, I don't believe that monthly upgrades to NavData solve every conceivable problem with flying online, for a few reasons:

- on most networks, there is a wide variety of pilot experience when it comes to IFR route planning. You'll find everything from GPS-direct, to pilots flying VOR to VOR, up to Eurocontrol CFMU validated top-notch flight plans. Things are much better than a few years ago due to better tools (PFPX), more experience and better training, but still: all the networks I know do a lot to support less experienced pilots or to fix less-than-perfect flight plans. Or cater for pilots without charts, without latest NavData etc...

- in most cases, the changes from one revision to next months revision are minor, e.g. the SID changes from GIVMI4W to GIVMI5W. The SID/STAR entry/exit remain the same. I think I can handle that. (And I do a lot in PSX. I'm happy with that.)

- Yes, in some cases, something more fundamental changes, but you can always get the current complete SID or STAR into PSX using e.g. PFPX route export. This won't help you with late changes but more often than not, I'm under radar vectors anyway.

- Generally, in most cases, traffic density on online networks is not high compared to real life. So ATC will be able to help you, accept your outdated NavData, or just vector you anyway. In high traffic situations (Worldflight) it might be different, but ATC will usually be able to resolve it.

Finally, people always seem to worry about some missing STAR X or a changed SID Y. But you have to consider that more things change in the real world which cannot be updated by a Navigraph update. Typically, these are runways or runway lengths.
E.g. there are dozens of runways, say, in China, that are not present in the visual FSX/P3D database (e.g. 03/21 in ZUCK, 12L/30R in ZHCC, 06/24 in ZSHC). PANC has a 1500' runway extension done in 2011, ... In many cases, runway changes are not done in add-ons in many years, e.g. the KORD layout is completely outdated, even with add-ons. Yet, most people don't seem to care about updates. They know it might take long to fix it, so they accept the fact and just adjust their procedures... why not also with NavData?

Markus

p.s.
Basically, been there, seen that, since I used to supply PS1.3 with NavData updates from 2001 to 2005. I believe that I gained experience (for me) about what can change and how it is operationally relevant.

jcomm

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 8 Jan 2019 13:26 »
Although I have mentioned ELITE and Airlinetools above, the only reason I buy the yearly updates for PSX is to get the additional features that are enabled when we install those databases.

In more than 25 yrs playing flight simulation, and apart from PFPX, long ago Jeppesen SimCharts, and recently a 1 month subscription of Navigraph, I never spent any money in this type of products.

I am more than good with the way it works in PSX. Actually I'm only interested in the "additional features" enabled by those databases :-)
« Last edit: Tue, 8 Jan 2019 14:39 by jcomm »

Martin B

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 8 Jan 2019 20:40 »
I hope to be flying online again soon. Presumably if I’m asked to do an approach which isn’t in the database (but for which I have the charts) I can still fly it with help from 2 VOR receivers, 2 NDB receivers and the fix page? Sounds like a lot of fun to me!

Roddez

• http://www.simulatorsolutions.com.au
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 8 Jan 2019 21:44 »
- Generally, in most cases, traffic density on online networks is not high compared to real life. So ATC will be able to help you, accept your outdated NavData, or just vector you anyway. In high traffic situations (Worldflight) it might be different, but ATC will usually be able to resolve it.

Good point Markus, Worldflight happens in November and Hardy's Nav Cycle update is in March...  We all find a way to manage.  ;D

Rod.