News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

www.hoppie.nl getting overhauled

Started by Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers, Sat, 17 Feb 2018 14:18

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

After a decade of hosting my server, the company I'm hosting with has hosted itself elsewhere, so I need to move.

It will undoubtedly interrupt stuff and the whole web site and ACARS machine may be offline for a while, but I am trying to avoid any significant interruption.

Hoppie

cavaricooper

Best wishes for a smooth move, and THANK-YOU HOPPIE!

C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

asboyd

Thank you for the heads up Hoppie. Hope the transition is smooth... :)
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

G-CIVA

Just got an ACARS print out notifying me of this on approach to WSSS!

Best of luck with the server 'faf' & thanks for all your efforts in that direction!
Steve Bell
aka The CC

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Copying in progress. Staging server is alive and partially ok. Actual migration (with some partial-function downtime) expected over the weekend.

I will not re-host everything that currently sits on www.hoppie.nl. Plenty of stuff literally is 20+ years old. Of course I keep a backup around but it won't all come back live on the internet.

Hoppie

Will

Thanks for all your housekeeping chores!
Will /Chicago /USA

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Smoke tests passed. I will flip the Big Red Switch on February 25, 11:00 Zulu.

As far as I can see, ACARS will be down for a while as I have to shut it down, copy the database, and restart it on the new server. I will not go through the effort to set up cross-server database access and such, just to enable a seamless changeover. I am not a multibillion dollar, half-the-planet-population social network enterprise   :-)

I will also have to redirect the DNS records for www.hoppie.nl to the new server which always is a tricky part as the distributed/cached nature of DNS never allows truly single-shot changeovers.

Therefore there will guaranteed be some messages 'lost in cyberspace' as they exist on server A but not on server B and not everybody switches at the same time.

For the dare-devils, you could try www2.hoppie.nl right now to pre-check the system. Your ACARS clients should just hop over if you change the URL by adding the '2'. The ACARS database is from about 2200Z, Feb 24.

Hoppie

Avi

Didn't you have something better to do today (Sat)?  ;)
Avi Adin
LLBG

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Actually I spent the best part of the day driving my two women around. Mother and daughter both celebrate their birthday on Feb 24th... cannot be ignored   :-)

Hoppie

Walktall

Belated happy birthday to both of them..

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

STATUS

* Preparations for changeover
* 1100Z Shut down both web servers.
* Dump SQL database on old server.
* Reload SQL database on new server.
* Smoke check.
* Enable web server on new server.
* Smoke check.
* Monitoring period.
* Withdraw NOTAM.

I've noticed that some software out there 'still' uses a decade-old URL to access ACARS. I've now set up an irritator to get this software to update itself.

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Last Monday, my internal CPU core performed unscheduled maintenance and toppled all my gyros, shut down my fuel intake system, and disconnected some of my FO side air data sensors, in particular OAT.

I survived nicely and am well underway to recovery, but it will take time. Already back home for two days and able to eat pureed food and to walk a mile easily. Still. Lucked out BIG time.

Hoppie

andrej

Glad that you are fine Hoppie! Be safe and rest as much as you can. Health is very important.
Andrej

Robert Staudinger

Hope you get well, soon. In the unlikely case you leave sunny Florida and visit Vienna so tell me, I would be happy drive you around a bit.

Robert

Hardy Heinlin

Good luck, Hoppie.

Sounds like your CPU was overclocked for too long?

|-|ardy

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Could be... definitely a wakeup call...

Hoppie

Frans Spruit

Hi Jeroen,

All the best and a speedy recovery.
Groeten,

Frans Spruit

tango4

Get well Hoppie,
And come back with new and fresh SATCOM insiders' news.

Take care.

Charles

cagarini

Hoppie,

I hope you get in good shape again ASAP! 

Take some good rest !

All of the Best from here - my car has additional stuff waiting for you :-)

asboyd

Take it very easy but also rest.... I know what software people are like... taking it easy means debugging 4 million lines of code before breakfast....

Best wishes,
Alex B
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia