News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

WidePSX 2.5.9 : FSX, P3D and MSFS Compatible Scenery Generator Bridge

Started by JP59, Fri, 8 Dec 2017 16:17

JP59

Hello,

I want to advise users that WidePSX can now be run from a networked computer with MSFS « 2020 ». You need to apply the following instructions :

Close MSFS if running, and open your SimConnect.xml file located by default at : C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache

If you previously added an entry for WidePSX in your SimConnect.xml file, please remove it to avoid any conflict.

Insert the following, right after the <Filename>SimConnect.xml</Filename> statement:

<SimConnect.Comm>
<Descr>Global IP Port</Descr>
<Disabled>False</Disabled>
<Protocol>IPv4</Protocol>
<Scope>global</Scope>
<Address>192.168.1.10</Address>
<MaxClients>64</MaxClients>
<Port>29747</Port>
<MaxRecvSize>4096</MaxRecvSize>
<DisableNagle>True</DisableNagle>
</SimConnect.Comm>

Edit the <Address> and <Port> fields and replace the values by your MSFS computer's IP address and the Port number you want to use for WidePSX. Those values are those who will be set in the WidePSX Network Tab (SimConnect IP and Port). Save the file and you are good to go.

This has been tested and working. I noticed on (my) Windows 10 computer, the firewall is very sensitive and may block the connection. In this case you will have to manually add an exception in your firewall for the port(s) used by WidePSX.

Happy flyings !
Jean-Philippe

inshibaya

Hi!

Nice news. For my part, I just tested WidePSX + FS2020 yesterday with a 2h flight with no problems.
Was very nice and simple to use. The placement of the plane on ramp is really nice and no loose of sync or CTD during all the flight. I will continue my tests.

Inshibaya

JohnH

Jean-Philippe,

Do you still recommend runing WidePSX on the PC running MSFS 2020?

Thanks John

GodAtum

I found using the landing view with upper option is best for me. However the icing is impossible to disable so my view out the window keeps getting blocked.

JP59

Hello,

@John : no you can now run WidePSX from any networked computer, please have a look at the first post of #18 page for details.

@GodAtum : you need to deactivate icing simulation in MSFS menu. Unfortunately I don't find any SimConnect variable to activate windshield heaters in MSFS. For now we only have access to legacy FSX/P3D variables and windshield anti-ice is not listed. I can however access to wing and engines anti-ice, but not the windshield ! I continue investigating.

Best regards
Jean-Philippe

JohnH

Quote from: JP59 on Sat, 26 Sep 2020 20:10
Hello,

@John : no you can now run WidePSX from any networked computer, please have a look at the first post of #18 page for details.

Best regards
Jean-Philippe

I switched WidePSX to the PC running PSX and made the modifications to 'simconnect' and it works very well.

Thanks John

JohnH

I am just doing a flight testing WidePSX and the newly patched (Sept 29, 2020) MSFS 2020 (v1.9.3.0) and everything seems to be working very nicely!

John

Ton van Bochove

Hi Jean-Philippe,

The manual says that I have to download the Java Runtime Environment. The Oracle website gives two versions for Windows: 86 and 64. Which one do I need?
Ton

JP59

Hello Ton,

It depends of you O/S version.

X86 for Windows 32 Bits version.
X64 for Windows 64 Bits version.

Regards,
Jean-philippe

Ton van Bochove

Ton

JohnH

go to settings, system, about,, under 'device specifications' System type it will say 64-bit or 32-bit

John

18hazelwood

Hi Jean-Philippe,

Regarding Widepsx and MSFS 2020, and using the default 747-8 for (now at least) we have prooved  Widepsx is very stable and gives the view out the cockpit with remarkable accuracy etc. This is all good and has worked with no problems from me.

Here`s the question.
I sometimes fly online for UK Virtual and they have a tracker, the tracker works with MSFS so all is good here.
The only discrepancy is the landing rates always differ somewhat from what the tracker records and what PSX records. i.e. UK Tracker is a ridiculous 1200fpm when using it with PSX or something like that and PSX -231fpm for example.

So the tracker records normally when in the MSFS sim as a standalone configuration i.e. flying default aircraft, but when coupled with PSX the landing rate gaps open up in a big way so to speak.
I was just wondering if the height of the dummy plane (the 747-8) when connected with Widepsx is the correct height from the ground so to speak? It sort of looks ok from the outside sat on the runway, but difficult to tell sometimes

Or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

my reasons are, I keep failing my landing rate when flying with MSFS & PSX. if the rates were ok then I would not have anymore problems to solve for my simulation needs.

FYI
(UK Virtual Flying Regulations are Less than 750 f/m in jets.)

Thanks, 18Hazelwood.

JP59

Hello 18Hazelwood,

I understand your request but unfortunately it is not possible for me to bring a solution. The reason is that when under WidePSX control, the MSFS aircraft becomes, as you said, a « dummy » aircraft. All the MSFS flight dynamics are disabled by WidePSX. It is exactly the same process with FSX/P3D.

Then, after a lot of calculations which are not the subject here, WidePSX sends position and attitude updates to MSFS several times per second, and MSFS updates the aircraft accordingly. If you look at the MSFS aircraft instruments when under WidePSX control, you will see very odd things, and vertical speed is one of those. Because the flight dynamics are deactivated, MSFS can't compute accurately the vertical speed and you get incorrect values.

You will tell me : « switch back those flight dynamics on ». Unfortunately I can't because it will lead to a continuous « fight » between WidePSX and MSFS to control the aircraft, leading to an aircraft crazy behavior.

Best regards,
Jean-Philippe

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

18hazelwood

Hi Jean-Philippe,

I understand,

It was a long shot, but thanks for the explanation.

18Hazelwood

JRBarrett

WidePSX is working very well on my installation. I have a single computer with two monitors, and run MSFS on the main 4K monitor with a PSX on the second 1080p monitor, similar to what have been doing with P3D.

I am looking forward to an updated version of WidePSX with the now-unneeded offset coding removed for increased efficiency, however I would strongly urge you to reconsider removing the AloftWeather part of WidePSX, as it is still useful. Even though ActiveSky cannot inject weather into MSFS, for those of us who do own AS for P3D, it can still be run in the background with a flight plan loaded, and can still be used to inject current AS winds and termperatures aloft into PSX from the dynamically updated activeflightplanwx.txt. It would be a step backwards if we were to lose that functionality IMO.

Regards,

Jim Barrett

JP59

Hello Jim,

I never planned to remove the AloftWx feature. I will just remove the ActiveSky features when using MSFS as they is no longer AS for MSFS and by fact they become irrelevant.

All the features of the actual version 2.0 will remain in the new version for the FSX/P3D users. I plan to communicate in detail today or tomorrow about the update.

Best regards,
Jean-Philippe

jlpilot

Hey 18Hazelwood,

I used to do quite a bit of flying on virtual airlines back in the day and from what I remember, they'd normally have their own client to report flight details back to their website. I'm not sure how or if it could work but maybe the solution would be to create a PSX client that can send the data to server instead of the virtual airline client. 

Just a thought ;)

Quote from: 18hazelwood on Thu,  1 Oct 2020 11:05
Hi Jean-Philippe,

Regarding Widepsx and MSFS 2020, and using the default 747-8 for (now at least) we have prooved  Widepsx is very stable and gives the view out the cockpit with remarkable accuracy etc. This is all good and has worked with no problems from me.

Here`s the question.
I sometimes fly online for UK Virtual and they have a tracker, the tracker works with MSFS so all is good here.
The only discrepancy is the landing rates always differ somewhat from what the tracker records and what PSX records. i.e. UK Tracker is a ridiculous 1200fpm when using it with PSX or something like that and PSX -231fpm for example.

So the tracker records normally when in the MSFS sim as a standalone configuration i.e. flying default aircraft, but when coupled with PSX the landing rate gaps open up in a big way so to speak.
I was just wondering if the height of the dummy plane (the 747-8) when connected with Widepsx is the correct height from the ground so to speak? It sort of looks ok from the outside sat on the runway, but difficult to tell sometimes

Or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

my reasons are, I keep failing my landing rate when flying with MSFS & PSX. if the rates were ok then I would not have anymore problems to solve for my simulation needs.

FYI
(UK Virtual Flying Regulations are Less than 750 f/m in jets.)

Thanks, 18Hazelwood.
Regards,

Jermaine.

JRBarrett

Quote from: JP59 on Fri,  2 Oct 2020 06:10
Hello Jim,

I never planned to remove the AloftWx feature. I will just remove the ActiveSky features when using MSFS as they is no longer AS for MSFS and by fact they become irrelevant.

All the features of the actual version 2.0 will remain in the new version for the FSX/P3D users. I plan to communicate in detail today or tomorrow about the update.

Best regards,
Jean-Philippe

Even though I will no longer be using P3D as a scenery generator (MSFS is far superior), I intend to run Active Sky in the background while using PSX/MSFS for the sole purpose of feeding upper wind and temperature data into PSX via AloftWeather. I just want to be sure that I will still have the ability to do that with the new version. I'm doing that now with the original version of WidePSX and it works well, since Active Sky can still update PSX wind data even if it has no active connection to P3D or FSX.