News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

WidePSX 2.5.9 : FSX, P3D and MSFS Compatible Scenery Generator Bridge

Started by JP59, Fri, 8 Dec 2017 16:17

cagarini

Quote from: Dirk Schepmann on Thu, 13 Dec 2018 00:22
Hi Steffen,

If you did a new installation of P3D v4.4, all your settings in the simconnect file have been overwritten, I think.

Do you run PSX and P3D on different computers?

By the way, on my machine I'm running everything on one PC with 2 monitors:
- PSX
- P3D
- Active Sky
- RealTraffic and PSXeeconTraffic
- WidePSX

No problems at all, 70 fps in PSX and 40-50 fps in P3D. And no fiddling with IP addresses, just localhost (127.0.0.1) for everything.

Best regards,
Dirk

Wow!  You must own a super-computer :-)

Out of curiosity - which CPU / GPU / System ?

JP59

If you did a new installation of P3D v4.4, all your settings in the simconnect file have been overwritten, I think.

No problems at all, 70 fps in PSX and 40-50 fps in P3D. And no fiddling with IP addresses, just localhost (127.0.0.1) for everything.

Thank you Dirk for the feedback. I was not able to give an answer as I don't have P3D v.4.4. Glad to see it works despite the need to re-configure SimConnect due to overwrite by the P3D installer.

Best regards,
Jean-philippe

Dirk Schepmann

Quote from: jcomm on Thu, 13 Dec 2018 08:22

Wow!  You must own a super-computer :-)

Out of curiosity - which CPU / GPU / System ?

Hi,

I don't think it's a "super computer", but quite fast, though.

It is an i7-7700K (4.2 GHz), 16 GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080. The OS is running on a SSD, but PSX and P3D are installed on a conventional SATA HDD.

The trick is to turn down a few settings in P3D which are not really required for PSX. My Autogen is set to "sparse" for example and I've turned off most of the shadow options. And it is important to turn off Hyperthreading in the BIOS, this is very detrimental for P3D performance.

Best regards,
Dirk

Captain_Crow

Thanks for the hint Dirk, but it doesn´t run here.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="SimConnect" version="1,0">
  <Descr>SimConnect</Descr>
  <Filename>SimConnect.xml</Filename>
  <Disabled>False</Disabled>
<SimConnect.Comm>
      <Disabled>False</Disabled>
      <Protocol>IPv4</Protocol>
      <Scope>local</Scope>
      <Address>127.0.0.1</Address>     
      <MaxClients>64</MaxClients>
      <Port>29747</Port>
      <MaxRecvSize>8192</MaxRecvSize>
      <DisableNagle>True</DisableNagle>
   </SimConnect.Comm>
</SimBase.Document>

I copied the simconnect.xml from the Widepsx manual into the p3d 4.4 folder. Checked all ports as okay. Still unable to establish connection...
One PC with two screens setup...

Best
Steffen

JP59

Hello Steffen,

Which connection can't you establish ? PSX Main, PSX Boost, SimConnect ? Please check if IP and Port values in the WidePSX interface match with the ones in your XML file.

Quote from: Captain_Crow
I copied the simconnect.xml from the Widepsx manual into the p3d 4.4 folder.

The XML file needs to be copied in the P3D AppData folder, not in the P3D root folder.

Regards,
Jean-philippe

Captain_Crow

Dear Jean-Phillippe,
I am on the road the next days, but your hint with the AppData folder could be the right one. I copied the xml into the main p3d folder.
So, no time to test, but after this crazy making holidays I will find some time. Hopefully..

All the best to you !
Steffen

Toga

What does this do differently that PSX.NET and external sim doesn't do already? Does it use external sim to connect to P3D or does it have it's own inbuilt system? Just curious as you're charging for it so it can't be using externalsim?

JP59

Hello,

WidePSX doesn't use the SimConnect ExternalSim feature. WidePSX has a runway offset feature which makes your FSX/P3D aircraft to be always aligned with the DEP/ARR runway even when the FSX/P3D scenery and PSX are not at the exact same position (there are many cases). The best is to download the fully functional free trial version, and have a look at the first page of this thread (reply #16) to make your own opinion :

http://widesimulation.com/download/widepsx-trial-version/?wpdmdl=203&masterkey=5a4366bd53b06

I remain available for any further question.

Best regards,
Jean-philippe

JP59

Hello,

A new version of WidePSX (1.0.7) is available. Thanks to a user report a bug was found in the pitch and altitude algorithm. In some situations the pitch value sent to FSX/P3D was incorrect.

Registered users received an update download link by private email. Both trial (fully functional 25 minutes limited) and commercial versions can be downloaded here :

http://widesimulation.com/products/

Best regards and merry Christmas to all !
Jean-philippe

Toga

Toga

I've tried Xview but it's not being developed anymore and it needs updating!

JP59

Hello,

I took the opportunity of my Christmas holidays to stress WidePSX in several situations. I found some bugs I corrected. Detailed modifications can be found in the "Revision History" file located in every WidePSX package.

I also discovered that the startup synchronization between PSX and FSX/P3D when "PSX is slave" option was selected wasn't reliable. I found what was wrong and rebuilt the feature from the roots. It is now working fine. Personally I love this option which allows you to place the aircraft with FSX/P3D directly from the simulator positioning menu, instead of moving PSX aircraft at the desired position. You can find more informations in the user manual.

I made some changes in the user manual to precise that the concept of altitude offset doesn't exist anymore since version 1.0.7 and its new altitude handling algorithm. The only time you'll see an altitude offset displayed in WidePSX is at takeoff. This offset will be flushed passing 1500ft AGL. The landing altitude offset doesn't exist anymore. The position offset system has not changed.

As usual registered users received a download link and trial version users can download a new package here :

http://widesimulation.com/download/widepsx-trial-version/?wpdmdl=203&masterkey=5a4366bd53b06

Kind regards and happy new year 2019 to all !
Jean-philippe

GodAtum

Thanks for the update and hard work! Just wanted to bring up the ground services. Do I need to open/close doors and put on ext power myself, or do they do it?

Have you done any testing with multiple P3Ds running across multiple PCs over a network? Gary's externalsim syncs them all very smoothly, just wondering if it's possible to do with yours?

JP59

Hello,

Quote from: GodAtum on Mon, 31 Dec 2018 17:58
Do I need to open/close doors and put on ext power myself, or do they do it?

All this "silent" tasks, plus refueling, boarding/loading can be done automatically by the ground service robot. See user manual for details.

Quote from: GodAtum on Mon, 31 Dec 2018 17:58
Have you done any testing with multiple P3Ds running across multiple PCs over a network? Gary's externalsim syncs them all very smoothly, just wondering if it's possible to do with yours?

Never tried. I don't have multiple P3D computers here. You should try to run one WidePSX instance (trial or registered version) per P3D computer. Start all the necessary WidePSX modules (Scenery Generator, Ground Services, TCAS,...) only on one single WidePSX instance. For all other instances, only start the scenery generator module. I will appreciate your feedback if any.

Best regards and again, happy new year 2019 to all the PSX community.
Jean-philippe

GodAtum

Strange, none of the silent tasks worked. I started in a cold & dark state with no power. I had to connect the ext power and open the doors manually via the instructor page.

JP59

The EXT PWR is always set to AVAIL when the aircraft is detected unpowered. If still not able, send me the SITU file.

Edit : Did you press the « Start module » button ?

Regards,
Jean-philippe

GodAtum

Thanks I had another add-on interfering. Regarding pushback, when it finishes the status says "Departure EXT PWR available". After takeoff the overhead EXT PWR  buttons are flashing and I cannot remove manually in the Instructor station.

A question about speeds. It looks like simconnect is reporting odd speeds (GS of 319 and IAS of 156, when actually in PSX it's GS of 577 and IAS of 330.

Bridge: simconnect
IPC Last Message: {"altitude":23475,"agl":22247,"groundspeed":319,"ias":156,"headingTrue":78,"headingMagnetic":66,"latitude":36.22305159730436,"longitude":-113.99893030987796,"verticalSpeed":-681,"landingVerticalSpeed":0,"gForce":0.315,"fuel":160583.361392,"transponder":"4335","bridgeType":"simconnect","isOnGround":false,"isSlew":false,"isPaused":false,"pitch":4,"roll":0,"time":1546443596,"fps":0}

Tried using multiple WidePSX over 2 PCs. 1st PC was fine in cruise. 2nd P3D and WidePSX connected OK (main, boost and simconnect). Started SceneryGen and the plane was being dragged along the ground. Maybe need to start both when on the ground?

JP59

Hello,

Quote from: GodAtum on Wed,  2 Jan 2019 15:15
Regarding pushback, when it finishes the status says "Departure EXT PWR available". After takeoff the overhead EXT PWR  buttons are flashing and I cannot remove manually in the Instructor station.

Did you « talk » with the ground engineer until pushback completed and the 4 engines started, including clearance to start the engines ? You must follow the procedure strictly, like in the reality. Don't use PSX pushback system. Also don't use the ground service module if you want to takeoff quickly. It is designed to simulate a full flight from the moment the pilot is getting inside the cockpit. The robot is sequenced and it waits for your actions to reach the next step. If something is missing the sequence is stuck. The common error is to forget the very last message when you finished starting engine 1. You must say to the ground engineer he is cleared to disconnect and leave. He will confirm and « Arrival phase standing by... » will be displayed in WidePSX. If you forget this last step you get what you described with the EXT PRW flashing. After some flights using the module you will get used with the sequence.

Quote from: GodAtum on Wed,  2 Jan 2019 15:15
A question about speeds. It looks like simconnect is reporting odd speeds (GS of 319 and IAS of 156, when actually in PSX it's GS of 577 and IAS of 330.

This is normal. WidePSX takes the whole control of the FSX/P3D aircraft disregarding aerodynamics. When using WidePSX, your FSX/P3D becomes a « stupid » scenery generator, no more aerodynamics simulation. PSX does it 1000 times better  :)

Regards,
Jean-philippe

brian747

QuoteQuote from: GodAtum on Wed,  2 Jan 2019 15:15

"This is normal."

Normal? Hmm....

I vly for a Virtual Airline, whose monitoring software connects to the scenery generator, not to PSX. Does this mean that if I use WidePSX then my VA would receive reports of "odd speeds" and not the actual (PSX) GS/IAS?

Cheers,

Brian
(Author of "The Big Tutorial" for PS1, and "Getting started with PSX" Parts 1, 2, and 3).