News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

WidePSX 2.5.9 : FSX, P3D and MSFS Compatible Scenery Generator Bridge

Started by JP59, Fri, 8 Dec 2017 16:17

JP59

Hello,

A major update of WidePSX is now available (version 1.0.5). Registered users will receive a private download link by email, free trial version users may download a new package here : http://widesimulation.com/download/widepsx-trial-version/

Below is a description of the new features and fixes in this new version :

Scenery Generator Bridge new feature :

There is a new feature in the Scenery Generator Bridge module. As you know the goal of this module is to assign PSX position and attitude to FSX/P3D, in order to display the scenery. However, there is a single time it would be usefull to reverse the process and assign FSX/P3D position to PSX. This time is when on the ground, at Scenery Generator Bridge connection. Of course you are free to use or not this feature, it is user selectable. PSX gates and parking positions never match exactly with FSX/P3D. It is frustrating having to position the aircraft manually at the right position, and save a PSX SITU for every single airport and/or gate.

I added a user selectable option to allow assigning FSX/P3D position to PSX only a single time, at the Scenery Generator Bridge connection. This allow user to load the FSX/P3D aircraft at a gate or parking, via the FSX/P3D positionning menu, without being connected with PSX. After this, by selecting the option "PSX is slave at startup" and starting the bridge, the FSX/P3D aircraft will not move, but PSX will be positionned at the right FSX/P3D aircraft position. After that, the Scenery Generator Bridge will continue to work the same way as before, by assigning PSX position and attitude to FSX/P3D aircraft. You can reload a PSX SITU, FSX/P3D will follow, whatever the setting is. This option is only active at Scenery Generator Bridge connection.

This option is shown below in the new version of Scenery Generator Bridge tab, at the right of the "Start Scenery Generator bridge" button :

"FSX/P3D is slave" is the default startup option for the first WidePSX usage. When selected, FSX/P3D will be moved at PSX position when starting Scenery Generator Bridge. This is the default "standard" connection policy.

When using "PSX is slave" option, you must ensure both PSX and FSX/P3D aircraft are on the ground and fully stopped for at least 5 seconds before to start the Scenery Generator Bridge. You must also set PSX aircraft as close as possible to the FSX/P3D aircraft position (for example at the same airport) to avoid a possible crash detection in PSX during the alignment process.

WidePSX will remember the option for you and reload radio-button position at the next startup.

Scenery Generator Bridge aircraft height at startup :

There was a bug in WidePSX, sometimes aircraft in FSX/P3D was loaded slightly above the ground (PSX on ground). It should be solved now with a 1 minute loop which force the aircraft to be set on the ground at Scenery Generator Bridge startup, when PSX is on the ground.

Lights and flight controls within FSX/P3D :

I had many reports about lights synchronization issues. After hours of testing, I found where the issue came from.

First you need to have your Posky 747-400 updated to FSX version for both "model" and "panel" folders. Default Posky 747 packages comes with FS9 panel and model versions which are not compatible with FSX/P3D. The link to download FSX updated panel and model is here : http://web.archive.org/web/20140625052257/http://poskyarchive.com/category/boeing/b747-400/

While there is only a single panel version, there is several model versions, depending of the model you are using. Be carefull to download the model corresponding with your aircraft.

Second you need to have FSX/P3D aircraft with engines running. Lights and flight controls will not be synchronized correctly if the aircraft is "dead". Save a "template" scenario in FSX/P3D with your favorite 747 running and set realism option to "Unlimited fuel". Load this template scenario in FSX/P3D before to connect WidePSX.

Third there was a bug in WidePSX, speedbrakes were set UP after takeoff, solved now.

With this tricks I have a fully functional aircraft, with lights and flight controls synchronization. The strobes lights cannot be synchronized as there is a bug in the Posky XML where strobe lights are synchronized with the NAV lights. I can't do anything at this Posky side.

Program window :

Program window size and position is now saved and reloaded at startup.

Ground Services :

- Bug cleared sometimes fuel preselect window was not populated correctly. Solved now.

- If selected release fuel is lower than actual fuel on board, WidePSX will set the fuel on board to 5 tons instead of 0 before to start the refueling process. This allow using the APU before refueling is started.

- Pushback process deeply reworked. Sometimes turn was done in the wrong direction, leading to 360° turns. Pushback heading can now be reset until puchback process is started, in case of takeoff runway shift before pushback, leading to a pushback direction change.

Best regards,
Jean-philippe

JP59

Hello,

Version 1.0.6 is up. Registered users received a private download link by email, free trial version users may download a new package here : http://widesimulation.com/download/widepsx-trial-version/

What's new in version 1.0.6 ?

- Allow user to start the ground services module in flight without need to fill the boxes in the user interface. It was irrelevant as the aircraft is already in flight. When starting the module while in flight, the robot will switch to "Arrival phase standing by" status until the aircraft has landed.

- Bug fixed when reloading a PSX SITU were aircraft is airborne, with option "PSX is slave" selected in WidePSX, and SimBridge already running. Some variables were not reset properly.

- Avoid launching SimBridge when option "PSX is slave" is selected, and if PSX and/or FSX/P3D aircraft are not on the ground. In this case an error message box is displayed.

- Time between every check of PSX time change to be sent to FSX/P3D modified from 5 to 10 seconds.

- Aircraft height algorithm when loading a SITU on ground reworked.

- When starting SimBridge module with "PSX is slave" option, FSX/P3D GMT time and date are sent to PSX.

I think this last change is "logic" as we want to assign FSX/P3D position to PSX, it is normal to assign FSX/P3D time to PSX also. However after the loading process it is still possible to change PSX time in the instructor station, the change will be sent to FSX/P3D.

The position and time synchronization process when "PSX is slave" option is selected is a "one shot" process, only active at the Scenery Generator Bridge startup. After this first synchronization, FSX/P3D is always the "slave", whatever the startup alignment slave setting is (PSX or FSX/P3D).

Best regards,
Jean-philippe

18hazelwood

Hi Jean-philippe,

I am having some issues...

I have got the simconnect working fine and the sim seems to be in sink with PSX, however;
1. All seems fine taxing around etc, but when I climb out and get above around 1000ft and above The screen flickers as if I`m on the ground and them flips back in the air above every 2-3 seconds, I can only assume this is some offset issue that I am having?

2. Can you send me a file of a 747 that is compatible with P3Dv4.2 (obviously a free version that works with lights, flaps gear etc? or a link where I can just get one?

Many thanks.

JP59

Hello,

- Did you use a previous version of WidePSX with the exact same configuration without issue or is it your first use of WidePSX ?

- Which version of WidePSX are you using ?

- Did you build the runways.csv file correctly according with the user manual procedure ? There is a special procedure for P3D v4 users detailed in the manual.

Best regards,
Jean-philippe

JP59

Hello,

I built a 3 aircraft liveries package with the panel and model folders for all the 14 Project Opensky model versions. Panel and model folders are the FSX version which is required by WidePSX. There is no specific P3D version of the Posky 747 as the development of this aircraft has stopped. You just have to extract the archive and place the WidePSX_747 folder in your FSX or P3D SimObject\Airplanes folder. There is a .txt file included which explain the procedure to add your own liveries.

This should definitively answer questions about model compatibility.

http://widesimulation.com/download/widepsx_747-package/

Best regards,
Jean-philippe

JP59

Quote from: 18hazelwood on Sat, 24 Mar 2018 15:13
All seems fine taxing around etc, but when I climb out and get above around 1000ft and above The screen flickers as if I`m on the ground and them flips back in the air above every 2-3 seconds, I can only assume this is some offset issue that I am having?

Hello,

I made some more tests this morning, I can't reproduce this issue. I made several landings, takeoff, touch and go, everything is working fine here. Please check the items I detailed in my last post. A wrong or missing runways.csv file can lead to that kind of issue. The runways.csv file must be rebuilt and copy to your WidePSX folder after every new scenery installation and/or modification. If you still have the issue please send me the following details at info@widesimulation.com

- Your runways.csv file
- Detail of which scenery used (default scenery or add-on) and which runway
- Do you have the issue only at this airport / runway or everywhere ?
- Version of WidePSX used
- Screenshot or details of all the settings of the Scenery Generator Bridge tab (Which of the PSX or FSX/P3D
  "slave" radio-button is selected, value set at "inhibit offsets above..." altitude edit box, which of the 3 offsets
  policy radio-buttons is selected, did you press and "align / move" button before to takeoff, what is displayed at
  position and altitude offset status text).

Best regards,
Jean-philippe

JRBarrett

I own both P3D 4.2 and XP 11.11. I currently use XP as my scenery generator via XView, so my main interest at the moment is in the winds aloft module. I also have the latest Active Sky for P3DV4.

I realize that true dynamic winds aloft only works when using P3D via simconnect. Here is my question: when running the winds aloft module in static mode, does your program only access the AS activeweatherflightplan file just once, (when the program is first launched), or does it refer back to it at intervals? If I leave Active Sky running, and refresh the loaded flight plan while enroute, the activeweatherflightplan file will be updated if any of the waypoint winds aloft data has changed.

Does your aloft module re-scan the AS flight plan data if the file updates?

Jim Barrett

JP59

Hello Jim,

Quote from: JRBarrett on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 13:12
Does your aloft module re-scan the AS flight plan data if the file updates?

Yes it does in static mode. The scan is done when overflying a new waypoint which is present in the AS flight plan file, and the fresh data is injected in PSX. See user manual page 18 (last paragraph).

Best regards,
Jean-philippe

JRBarrett

Thanks for the information. I will definitely give the software a try.

Jim Barrett

JRBarrett

Quote from: 18hazelwood on Sat, 24 Mar 2018 15:13
Hi Jean-philippe,

I have got the simconnect working fine and the sim seems to be in sink with PSX, however;
1. All seems fine taxing around etc, but when I climb out and get above around 1000ft and above The screen flickers as if I`m on the ground and them flips back in the air above every 2-3 seconds

This may not be the solution, but do you see this effect when in the cockpit view, or when viewing the aircraft from outside? I'm doing my first flight right now with WidePSX (Version 1.0.6), and discovered that if you want to view the aircraft in flight from an external vantage point, it is necessary to use LOCKED spot view. If you use standard spot view (where the camera floats and auto-positions itself), the aircraft and scenery will flutter and stutter badly. It makes sense, since the aircraft is being externally driven, the floating spot camera would be constantly trying to reposition itself every frame.

Locked Spot is nice and smooth...

JP59

Hi Jim,

Quote from: JRBarrett on Sat, 28 Apr 2018 21:00

If you use standard spot view (where the camera floats and auto-positions itself), the aircraft and scenery will flutter and stutter badly. It makes sense, since the aircraft is being externally driven, the floating spot camera would be constantly trying to reposition itself every frame.

Locked Spot is nice and smooth...

This is exactly how WidePSX works, everything is said in your comment. Thanks for the trick to the community  ;)

Unfortunately I have no news from 18hazelwood to know if the described issue is solved. I tried to reproduce what he described without success.

Best regards,
Jean-philippe

Hreygro

Bonjour !

Just tried to purchase a WidePSX licence via PayPal, with no success. The system seems to be blocked after transaction. What's happening ?

Henri R

JP59

Hello Henri,

I see you as registered in my database, with Paypal completed. Let me know if you have any problem.

Best regards,
Jean-philippe

Hreygro

All is clear now ; I've been able to complete the purchase and I downloaded the software.

Thank you for jumping in !

Henri R

cagarini

Hi Jean,

now that OFP aloft forecasts are approaching implementation, how will WidePSX cope with it ?

I believe the weather injection component will become obsolete for those using PFPX ?

JP59

Hello,

You talk about live weather implementation within PSX directly ?

WidePSX is designed with several independant "modules". If PSX implements real world live weather, the AloftWx module will become obsolete, you are right. You will only have to forget it (don't click the "Start Module" button).

The other modules will continue to work, especially the FSX/P3D bridge which is the "heart" of WidePSX.

Best regards,
Jean-philippe

cagarini

Thank you Jean-philippe.

Have you been able to test it with the recently released p3d v4.4 ?

JP59

No I am stucked at version 3.4  :(

No time for flight simulation ATM

Cheers

Captain_Crow

Hi guys,

I had to do a totally new installation of p3d v4.4. And now, as expected, I have problems with simconnect...
Is there a knwn issue using v4.4 ?

Thanks
Steffen

Dirk Schepmann

Hi Steffen,

If you did a new installation of P3D v4.4, all your settings in the simconnect file have been overwritten, I think.

Do you run PSX and P3D on different computers?

By the way, on my machine I'm running everything on one PC with 2 monitors:
- PSX
- P3D
- Active Sky
- RealTraffic and PSXeeconTraffic
- WidePSX

No problems at all, 70 fps in PSX and 40-50 fps in P3D. And no fiddling with IP addresses, just localhost (127.0.0.1) for everything.

Best regards,
Dirk