News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Google Earth Snapshot Interval

Started by OKD, Thu, 19 Aug 2010 08:30

OKD

Hi Guys

Does anybody know what's the time / day / week / month interval for the google satellite do the snapshot(ing)  around the world and update them.

Just had a look at a few snapshots of airports around the world, and came across a Korean Airlines approaching Inchon from the NW on short finals....amazing...also saw one just took off from HKG 07R. May be a CX because of the slight green tail...I also noticed that easier to see shots like that if the airport is being surrounded by blue sea / water, just like the one at HK or Inchon.
OK....I am ok, if you are ok...!!

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

There is no interval. Most of this imagery has been acquired once from agencies/companies not related to Google. Most high-res material isn't satellite but airplane photography, and more expensive to re-acquire. There is no Google satellite -- they would wish  :mrgreen:

Jeroen

OKD

Ok thanks JH...so what you are saying is that these planes that take the shots are flying way above say at or around FL390?

My other question is that how do they take shots around the world if you were to pick a location and type onto the Search Bar? I.e. Sydney Opera house, or even you own address in the US?  My rough guess is that the coverage of each area must be quite huge for each shot they take?
OK....I am ok, if you are ok...!!

Roddez

Google maps are a collection of many different images from a number of different sources.

If you look closely on the bottom of each map  you view, you will see the source of each image.  As you zoom in an out, the soure may change.

Some of the images are high resoultion satellite images, and others are traditional aerial photographs.  The maps are updated from time to time.

Normal aerial photography images are taken from below 10,000 feet AGL.  I understand the exact altitude varies depending on the resolution required.  The Satellite images are quite detailed and again are supplied by a number of different vendors.

Streetview is a different beast and I believe (In Australia at least) it was Google who took all of the Street View pictures.

Google have then spent the time to overlay roads and other data such as street names, addresses and locations onto the maps.

Organisations such as councils will have aerial photos of their area going back many years.  However this can become difficult because all the data that Google uses is from a combination of providers, captured at different times, that has been blended together.

I hope this helps.
Rodney Redwin
YSSY
www.simulatorsolutions.com.au