News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Navigraph moving map with Simlink and PSX?

Started by MalcolmT, Tue, 5 Sep 2017 19:44

MalcolmT

Hi

does anyone know the current status of this development please?  I recall a thread some time ago that suggested some clever person(s) was looking at this.

Thanks
Malcolm

andrej

Hi Malcolm,

I have asked some time ago and was advised that they are working on. However it will not be in the first release. I plan to ask them on the state of this request.

Cheers,
Andrej

Will

I'm following these developments eagerly. I think it might be a good solution for getting the PSX aircraft to the gate... I don't care much about a moving map when the aircraft us in flight, but for taxiway ops, this could be really helpful.
Will /Chicago /USA

cagarini

It looks promising indeed.

I quitted trying to use any 3-rd party scenery injectors in PSX. For me it only degrades the overall quality of the simulation I get when using PSX standalone.

I just miss ground references, more detailed lighting systems, which I do find as a major drawback in PSX's representation of the "World", the lateral views ( even simplistic like I have in ELITE ), and proper daylight according to date and place on Earth...

With this moving map app, I could finally taxi to and from gate a bit more realistically.

andrej

Hey guys,

here is an update:

"Thank you for the kind words! Yes, PSX is planned (but not yet underway)."

Positive, but not there yet. :(

https://navigraph.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=4408&start=10
Andrej

MalcolmT

Thanks for the input everyone.  I'm looking forward to it, and Navigraph's new charts are impressive.
Malcolm

cavaricooper

Just a refresh on this post... any news?

I have asked over at the Navigraph Forum, but perhaps some of our local software Wizards have thoughts re. this? Should I get any official position I from Navigraph will update here.

My primary need for this solution is when flying PSX standalone on my Mac, so a Java based solution would be ideal... their OSX based Charting App works beautifully on the Mac already.

TIA- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

cavaricooper

https://forum.navigraph.com/viewforum.php?f=93

My reply from Ian at Navigraph...
"Hi Carl,

We are still considering PSX moving map support for the future, when volumes justify the development and support effort. We are currently focussed on ensuring the new Charts functionality is fully functional. Thank you for your understanding.

Cheers
Ian"

If interested, please take a moment to append the thread above, so that Navigraph sees that there are paid users who are indeed interested in PSX position depiction independent of P3D.

Ta!

C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

andrej

Hi Carl,
I regularly ask Navigraph via social media (Instragram and Facebook) about the possibility to support PSX. Albeit I am certain that Hardy made it quite easy and straightforward, the Navigraph team has other priorities. They always reply that it it on their "to do list" but in a future.

I concur with your idea that more user of both products could voice their support to add PSX as one of the supported add-ons for the moving map feature.

I will continue on my crusade. :)

Cheers,
Andrej

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Is there any standard yet for EFB connection to sims? Are there published interfaces that you can push data to?

Real aircraft are slowly rolling out ARINC 834 and that is dead easy to bake. But few PSX users will have a pro license on Jeppesen FliteDeck Pro or Navblue.

Hoppie

RRVyper

A workaround is to use a scenery generator like FSX with VisualPSX (you don't even need to see the FSX visuals) and then rely on the Navigraph Simlink to interface to the charts. As a bonus, you can also run Little Navmap which has a very nice moving map.

Randy

cavaricooper

Randy-

When using a Visual Generator this is a non issue. I was asking because I often use one of my SITUs on a Mac. That's when a Java based Simlink output app(let) would be very handy.

Best- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

RRVyper

Understood, Carl. It would be a trivial task for Navigraph to create a Simlink file for PSX. I don't understand the logic behind the "when volumes justify the development and support effort" statement since they sell a subscription service for the charts. Expanding the user base would seem to be financially prudent.

Randy

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

It means that they expect development will be more involved than a day and support will be more than just one email per week. PSX still is a marginal product in volume compared to anything else. What they may not appreciate is the tremendous amount of self-help available from our community, but this is the exception, I realize that.

Hoppie

RRVyper

I suppose you're right, Hoppie. Many people who would benefit from the interface already have a subscription to the charts and FMS data for other sims so they won't make any money off of them. And PSX-only users are a smaller fraction still. It might be different if PSX allowed Navigraph FMS data updates but that doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Randy

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: RRVyper on Thu,  4 Jul 2019 00:09
It might be different if PSX allowed Navigraph FMS data updates ...

It's Jeppesen, Lido, Navblue that don't allow it. Not PSX or Navigraph.

|-|ardy

RRVyper

Correction noted. And we don't need to revisit that discussion. I should not have brought it up. Apologies.  :-\

Randy

Hardy Heinlin

I don't know if it affects the entire discussion in general. I was just correcting that little detail :-)

What is the purpose of the data link? Getting PSX position data to show the PSX position on a Navigraph map? That should be legal -- and trivial too. There's no hack required. Just a usual network socket (which probably already exists on the Navigraph side anyway and that just needs to be set to the address of PSX).

|-|ardy

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

It should be legal and technically possible to craft a fake Simlink server that sits against (or even in) PSX so that PSX can "play" MSFS Navigraph to whatever falls for it. But this is not trivial as there will always be silly exceptions to the published API that make it an endless battle to get everything just right compared to the original. A sim in a sim.

QuoteSimlink is a small client software which sends your simulator aircraft position to Navigraph servers, which enables moving maps in the new Charts software.

I have confused Simlink with SimConnect... SimConnect comes with MSFS and derivatives and is their take on avoiding the ancient "offset" FSUIPC hacks. Simlink is a Navigraph thing.

Hoppie