News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Just found Aerowinx!

Started by peb, Sun, 6 Aug 2017 13:01

peb

I have spent many many hours writing plug in s/w to simulate the systems, etc for a 747-400 in X-Plane but knew I had a long long way to go. Someone very kindly pointed me to Aerowinx PSX and having looked at Youtube videos, etc I may well just delete everything I have done in X-Plane because it will never be as good or comprehensive as PSX as far as I can tell from the videos!!! It is really impressive.

I haven't read the PSX manuals, etc yet (am about to start) but have a couple of questions

1. my current 32bit system is Intel Q6600 Quad CPU @ 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 1.5+TB disks, 1680x1050 LG W2242P screen, Windows 7 (have W10 but not using yet), CH Yoke & Pedals, etc. Will it run PSX?

2. not sure why or if I need it but can you customise PSX in any way?

3. can I/should I make any use of X-Plane? I have stayed on XP9.7 whilst writing my big plug in. And whilst it is nice to play in x-Plane occasionally using the various planes, my real interest is in the 747-400 and its systems, etc. Also scenery is nice to have but I am not sure whether it is worth spending LOTS of money to be able to have very detailed scenery.

Any thoughts or comments would be gratefully received because I really want to make a decision on how I proceed.

By all means email me if you wish.

Hardy Heinlin

Hello, welcome aboard!

1. Yes, it will.

2. Yes, you can:

You can customize PSX for your airline; there are over 130 options re airframe, equipment, and systems that can be selected and saved by a mouse click.
You can customize the layout of your view onto the flight deck (split screens, zoom, pan) and assign keyboard keys or USB buttons to various layout presets.
You can customize a multimonitor network for a real-size cockpit mockup (and also customize the simulation specific audio output of each networked computer for a 3D multispeaker environment).
You can customize the assignments of certain USB functions.
You can, as a software developer, easily create network add-ons that read and write variables by text messages via TCP/IP.

3. It's up to you. Just test it, and then decide yourself.

Thank you!

|-|ardy

peb

Thank you. PSX certainly looks fantastic & good to know that I can run it on my existing system. Just need to think about whether I want to interface to X Plane - hopefully others might have some ideas on how or if it can be achieved using XP9

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

The X-Plane interface is basically done already, I believe (just as FSX and P3D).

Hoppie

Phil Bunch

Welcome!

You're on the edge of experiencing a most remarkable adventure.  There is nothing like PSX and there is nothing like the PSX community.
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

peb

No question I am already sold on PSX & great that I can run it on my existing system.

But where can I find more info on the connection between it & XPlane so that I can get an idea of exactly how XPlane feeds scenery data into PSX ie what is the setup, software required, supported versions of XPlane, etc?

This won't affect my buying PSX but will give me an idea of the ability to display scenery especially at airports & whether I need to be thinking about more expense (apart from PSX, PFPX, Topcat, ...!!!) -  wife doesn't know yet so need to prepare the ground!

Hope someone can point me in the right direction or tell me how they did it

PS does XView still exist - I tried but failed to log on to his system to get documentation?

Paul

skelsey

Hi Paul,

X-Plane does not inject anything in to PSX -- but there is software out there that enables you to use X-Plane as the outside view (in other words, you open X-Plane AND PSX and the X-Plane view is synchronised with the PSX position).

I've never used X-Plane unfortunately so I can't offer anything really beyond that basic overview, but this thread may be of help: http://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=1615.0

mikeindevon

X-Plane will draw the scenery for PSX if you use my XView software, which can be downloaded from www.larkshayes.com.

The latest versions are 64-bit.  I cannot remember whether XP 9.7 was 64 or just 32-bit.  However, I have a version on my system that works with XP9 - it may not be the latest, but at least it works.  If you would like it email me at my username here at hotmail.com than I will send it to you.  I will try and compile a 32-bit version of the latest, but I don't know if the current code is compatible with 32-bit.

XP9 has a lot going for it as a scenery generator.  It uses a much simpler approach to the scenery, which makes it a lot faster.  If you are not bothered about the latest eye candy, go for it.

Mike

paradoxbox

Any benefits of using X-plane over P3D/FSX?

My system is relatively powerful but P3D murders my PC especially in complex airport scenery. How does X-plane fare, does it use the graphics card rather than rely entirely on the CPU as P3D seems to?

cagarini

Quote from: paradoxbox on Fri, 11 Aug 2017 07:02
Any benefits of using X-plane over P3D/FSX?

My system is relatively powerful but P3D murders my PC especially in complex airport scenery. How does X-plane fare, does it use the graphics card rather than rely entirely on the CPU as P3D seems to?

Apart from the better night lighting, and lighting overall, you have sloped runways that are merged with PSX elevations creating a much more realistic experience.

And the additional smoothness of X-Plane over P3D...