News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Airdrop...

Started by farrokh747, Fri, 4 Aug 2017 06:28

farrokh747

Hardy Heinlin

Is this from iPhone to iPhone with a special email address?

farrokh747

its via Airdrop, Iphone to Iphone...  using Bluetooth and Wifi... 

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-airdrop-how-does-it-work-1994512

fc

Jeroen D

I'm still not sure if this is for real. i see very different thoughts around various (aviation) forums
Jeroen

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

(I cannot access the Facebook account)

Maybe they are all logged into the passenger WiFi system?

Phil Bunch

I've used it to transfer things  like PDF files from one Apple gadget to another.  It works very easily and quickly.  You can set it to transfer to/from everyone or just to your contacts.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204144
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

Will

My vote is that it's fake.
Will /Chicago /USA

United744

I highly doubt it is possible. When the aircraft started parallel to each other it looks plausible (two panes of glass and an air gap), but when they actually do the transfer the aircraft has pulled ahead. I would have thought there would be too much attenuation for it to work.

EDIT: totally bogus - his phone is in airplane mode (airplane icon) with all radios OFF (no WiFi or BT symbols).

farrokh747

Quotehis phone is in airplane mode (airplane icon) with all radios OFF (no WiFi or BT symbols).

actually, as i discovered, if you are in airplane mode, and switch on airdrop, wifi and BT come on automatically - the airplane mode symbol remains on, and if you are in a wifi area, you'll see the wifi symbol as well - so airplane mode is not totally airplane mode..

checked on a 5

fc

Phil Bunch

Quote from: farrokh747 on Fri, 18 Aug 2017 04:53
Quotehis phone is in airplane mode (airplane icon) with all radios OFF (no WiFi or BT symbols).

actually, as i discovered, if you are in airplane mode, and switch on airdrop, wifi and BT come on automatically - the airplane mode symbol remains on, and if you are in a wifi area, you'll see the wifi symbol as well - so airplane mode is not totally airplane mode..

checked on a 5

fc

I get the same result on my iPod Touch (latest model).  I'm guessing that this may be universal among newer Apple gadgets.

I am surprised that the Airplane Mode is not reliable for preventing use of wi-fi and/or bluetooth.  There might be some circumstances where it would be important for the device to avoid emitting radio signals.   Airlines often insist that one's devices be inactive with respect to radio signals.
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

United744

Yes, but in that case you still get the symbols, which are not present in his video.

I discovered that BT/WiFi can be used in Airplane mode some time ago, and thought the behavior was slightly different vs. when in normal mode. Not sure what the point of Airplane mode is as I thought it was supposed to DEFINITELY switch the radios off...