News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Monitors or Televisions?

Started by Aonang, Fri, 21 Jul 2017 10:50

Aonang

Hello Guys,

Please forgive my ignorance but if you don't ask you don't learn.
Is there a difference between computer monitors and digital televisions?
If there is a difference what is the difference and which one is more suitable for PSX?
Thanks
Mike

asboyd

The main difference nowadays is that Digitial TV's have tuners in them. Most digital TV's use the same panels as monitors and will produce as good a picture, however digital monitors may have quicker refresh rates (1 or 2ms) you pay a good price for these but it makes movement a lot less blurred and has less artifacts (little blocks around moving objects)...

For large scenery views digital TV's are now very well priced as an alternative to projectors (in Australia you can buy a 55" UHD TV for less then $700AU and a 55" FHD tv for less than $500)
For instruments you are best to find monitors that match the size you want to use and remember that a 19" monitor runs at around 1440x900 which is fine for PFD's and ND"s and also places a lot less stress on your video card, so running 3 x 19" widescreen monitors is a lot faster than one 4K screen at any size...
Alex B
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

Aonang

Hi Alex,

Thank you very much, that is very helpful.

Mike

Egyptair687

I am using a 55 inch tv monitor for displaying scenery ( X Plane 10) and in the lower third of the display I have psx running. It works quite good, but the resolution and the color differs from a computer monitor, although it may be a thing of the setting. I will go for scenery on the big screen and 2 touch screens for captain side + misc.

Ahmed

asboyd

I personally use a 48" old Samsung LED for P3D and am building the cockpit hardware around several small screens running off old laptops and tower PC's. The PC's also interface the opencockpit cards I am using for hardware integration via Nico's brilliant PSXseecon application.

If I had the means I would use a couple of 55" UHD screens for scenery but that will have to wait until I win the Lotto jackpot :)

Cheers,
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia