News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PSX/P3Dv4

Started by J D ADAM, Sun, 2 Jul 2017 01:52

J D ADAM

Hi All

Is there anybody else using PSX and P3Dv4 in association with Visual PSX?
I decided to upgrade to version 4 (64) in the expectation that I would get better FPS.
I have been sadly disappointed and get as few FPS as 7 whist approaching any airport.
I use Orbx scenery and have what I consider to be fast computers and GPU's.
Unfortunately I could not get PSXNET P3D External Sim to work so have to use Garry's
fine product which has always given me good results.
Trying P3Dv3 this morning I found FPS was 3 times faster in comparative scenarios.

Any advice or suggestions from those using P3Dv4 would be appreciated

Cheers

Derek

cagarini

I wonder is anyone tried it with Flight Sim World, using Visual PSX ?

Britjet

Hi Derek,

I have had no issues with P3DV4. Frame rates are always better than V3, by about 20%.
You have probably done this already, but if not I suggest you put all settings (in particular lighting, shadows and reflections) to zero and see what you get - then gradually reinstate. The original installation always sets these up at quite a demanding level. I have a very fast system with a 1080Ti card but I rarely use shadows, reflections etc.
Also I would really recommend trying to get PSX ExternalSim to work. It is very much smoother than Visual PSX..
HTH.

Peter.

J D ADAM

Thank you for your reply Peter,

Last week I invested in a much higher speed computer to help solve my slow results with P3Dv4.
a GTX 1060 card and a faster SSD so will see what happens.

This may take a while as having now major problems installing P3D, as I did originally.

I can recall this same problem with the original installation, and after 4  hours yesterday gave up in disgust!

Golf course closed today (we have had nearly a whole years rain up to now) so will try again today.

I would love to get PSX ExternalSim to work but having spent many hours trying to get it to work I reluctantly gave up.

Thanks again for your reply   I will report

Cheers
Derek

evaamo

Derek:

Have you tried turning off the "dynamic lightning" checkbox in P3Dv4?

Some people have been reporting issues with that setting.

Like Britjet said:  try turning off shadows and reflections and then gradually turning them back on and see if it makes any difference.

Also, try lowering your anti-alias to MSAA 2 or 4x and setting the frame rate slider to "unlimited".

Other questions: what are your AI traffic settings ?
What resolution are you using? If it's 1920x1080, your 1060 should do. If you're running the sim at 4k, then the only solution (and an expensive one!) is to upgrade to a 1080ti. But I doubt that's you case, since P3Dv3 is running fine in your system.

Anyhow, there's absolutely no reason to get worse performance in P3Dv4 than P3Dv3.  I'm sure you're going to find out soon once you tackle the issue.  In my case, P3Dv4 has improved my frame rate between 20 to 35%.

Cheers
-E

Enrique Vaamonde

Phil Bunch

Quote from: evaamo on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 23:48

<snip>

What resolution are you using? If it's 1920x1080, your 1060 should do. If you're running the sim at 4k, then the only solution (and an expensive one!) is to upgrade to a 1080ti. But I doubt that's you case, since P3Dv3 is running fine in your system.

<snip>
-E

Thanks for your experience with 4K monitors and PSX/P3Dv4.

I have been investigating 4K and higher resolution monitors, so I greatly appreciate your caution about the load such a monitor will place on video cards and PCs. 

Is it possible to set a 4K monitor to act as if it were a normal HD (1920x1080) monitor?  If so, I may be able to use a 4K monitor for my digital photo editing and then reset it to HD for PSX.  This idea assumes that the monitor will handle the downsampling, etc.
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

asboyd

Phil,
You can set the 4K monitor to run at 1920x1080 or 2K if youre video card allows it.
I ran my 4K 60" tv with a 1080 11Gb card but I had only borrowed it from my son to test P3Dv4...
I am now running the large screen in 1920x1080 mode as that is all I con do with my 4Gb 770... :(
Still waiting to see what comes on my Birthday :)

Cheers
AB
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

evaamo

Hi Phil.

Honestly, I wouldn't use a 4k monitor unless I was ready to use it at 3840x2160 @ 60hz.

Why?  The image quality suffers a lot in lower resolutions. Think it's not about the monitor downsampling, but the GPU having to upscale 1080p content to 4k.

Even setting it at crazy antialiasing (say 8x SSAA), the quality is unbearable. At least that's my experience using a single 28" 4k Monitor in PSX, X-Plane, P3Dv3 and v4.

On the other hand, I did use a gtx 780 (non-ti version) before getting the 1080ti using this same monitor at 2560x1440 and while it wasn't 4k, it was very very acceptable and my frames weren't too bad. This means that if you have a gtx 1060/70 or 80 (non-ti) it should hold it's own using a 4k monitor at lower resolutions (for flightsimming, that is). Then, as you said, you could go back to 3840x2160 for other activities.

Another word of advice: Make sure if you want to run 3840x2160 @ 60hz that you get a DisplayPort cable (and that your GPU has the DisplayPort 1.2 port!) since HDMI 1.4 and some HDMI 2 monitors won't let you go above 30hz, and while some people don't care (and even some say P3D runs better at 30hz than 60) I find the lag too noticeable and makes me angry :-D

I know it's an expensive toy, but the difference between my gtx780 and the 1080ti was like night and day. And at 4k nothing beats it!. It's the best money I've spent so far.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
-E
Enrique Vaamonde

Phil Bunch

Enrique Vaamonde - thanks for the very detailed advice.  That was exactly the type of information I have been looking for.

One last question - did you notice if the cooling fan noise of the 1070 or 1080 is very noisy in stressful flight sim uses?   Fan noise may of course vary depending on the vendor, fan tuning, etc.
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

Britjet

I've had both 1080 and 1080Ti and they haven't become noisy under load.
Peter.

evaamo

The 1080ti I bought is a Gigabyte founder's edition. It's louder than 1080ti from other manufacturers according to some reviews, due to the fact that it doesn't have custom and more effective cooling solutions (at 70-85% gpu usage, the temps go as high as 85C!!!).

Having said that, it's not noisy at all.

cheers
-E
Enrique Vaamonde

J D ADAM

Thank you Gentlemen for your replies and advice.

I am now a very very happy chap.

With the ministrations of Mark I now have  PSX ExternalSim  installed on my computers.

The improvement is staggering, with FPS going up to 60 and a beautifully smooth rendition of P3Dv4.

It has been a great pleasure with dealing with Mark who could not do enough for me. He has made an old man very happy.

Cheers to all my friends on the Aerowinx forum

Derek Adam
(81 in a weeks time)

cavaricooper

Derek-

A very happy birthday to you mate!

In this impersonal space called the interwebs ;) our forum is a place of cooperative kindness, civility and education- a rarity indeed. I too benefited from Mark's personal ministrations, and remain obliged.

Glad it's sorted!

Best- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA