News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Video: PSX + XP11 - JFK 13L Canarsie approach

Started by evaamo, Sun, 4 Jun 2017 19:01

evaamo

Hey guys, this is a quick video I uploaded to YouTube showing the nice result of combining Aerowinx PSX and X-Plane 11 using Mike's XView plugin.

Video

Don't grill me over the touchdown... it wasn't the best, I know ;-)

I'm inhibiting the terrain warning of the EGPWS in the beginning. Don't know if this would get me in trouble according to an airline's SOP, but it makes the approach a lot quieter!

cheers
-E
ps: thanks Hardy for the new situs, I'm using the 03 Approach 026 - New York Kennedy - VOR13L !
Enrique Vaamonde

emerydc8

Nice job, E. Does X-plane come with the lead-in lights to 13L or is that an add-on package?

Jon

evaamo

Thanks for the comments guys! :-)

Jon: the lead-in lights can be downloaded from here

Cheers!
-E

Enrique Vaamonde

emerydc8

jtsjc1

Nice landing! Thanks for the video. And they got the traffic on the Belt Parkway right too bumper to bumper.
Joe

evaamo

Joe, you're right... rush hour traffic over Brooklyn looks way too close to the real deal! :-D

I must say X-Plane road traffic and night lighting are top notch! Hopefully things will improve in P3D land now that it's 64bit. Both sims at their current state tax my 1080ti in 4k heavily - and settings are not at 100%.

That's what I love about PSX... 72fps at 4k no matter what.

cheers
-E
Enrique Vaamonde

nghtflght

i have an iMac, can this set up all be done is OSX? I have been looking for the best way to set up external graphics for PSX that will be stable, I don't need incredible graphics, but it would be nice to have a bit more external view as long as it is stable and precise (especially during approach/landing/taxi/takeoff).

Any recommendations on the best set up (this looks really nice)?  At the moment i just have PSX and operate as i mentioned on an iMac with CH Yoke and Pedals, so would like something that can all be set up to run on the same computer.

Any advice would be helpful here!

evaamo

the video was shot on a same-computer setup (28" monitor at 4k) running Windows 10. Xview runs on Mac as well, so the only difference between my setup (i7 6700k, 32gb ram, gtx1080ti running at 4k) and your iMac is the resolution and your GPU's horsepower.

Even with a 1080ti, XP11 on a stormy day would drop the frames into the low 20s, so be prepared to make compromises in the graphics settings. This seldom affects PSX tho, which is what matters to me in terms of performance. And even in the thoughest of the environments, you'd rarely see PSX frames drop below 60.

I have external views disabled on my PSX preferences when running alongside XP11 or P3Dv4 , and my PSX layouts share a split view setup between the two sims (PSX takes 60% of the screen). If you'd like to take a look at my layouts let me know. Then again, be advised these layouts are configured for 4k resolution.

HTH. cheers
-E

Enrique Vaamonde

foolen

Hi,

After seeing this video I had to try it out on my iMac 27 (late 2013, i5, 8Gb, GTX775). Have to say it's working well enough at 2500x1400 to make it my sweetest setup for PS yet :).

I run Bootcamp/Win10, Xplane 11 (no addons, medium settings), Xview, PSX and also the "Windowed borderless gaming" app to remove the menu-bar in Xplane. I split the screen between Xplane and PSX roughly 50/50.

Pretty sure it's possible in macOS as well, possibly apart from the borderless-thing.

Thanks evaamo for sharing what I didn't even know was possible!

Br,
Andreas

paradoxbox

Evaamo, you need to post more videos. I strongly believe if more people saw your videos on youtube, more people would buy PSX (Instead of PMDG which is rapidly nearing the price of PSX..!)

VERY nice work.

Would you be willing to list your PC specs and software setup to get the results you have in that video?

Britjet

Hi Evaamo,

Nice video. Very fuel efficient! I hope you won't mind me mentioning a few things about your configuration profile in case the video leads to folks copying it...
As a guideline, intermediate approach - flap 10, flap 10 speed.
Gear down at 2000agl, latest 1800ft agl.
Flap 20 at the same time, or possibly a couple of hundred feet later, depending on any ATC speed constraints.
Landing flap in one action (from 20 to 25, or 20 to 30) at 1500ft.

The sim should be to have the aircraft completely set up (including landing checks complete) at 1000r.
(This means landing flap set and approach power set). If that isn't the case most airlines would go around..

You wouldn't be able to able to consistently (or safely) land a 747 using the technique in your video. Too much changing too late, no chance to be "stabilised" so that any windshear effects can be noticed, and it gives you too much workload when you need to be fully focused on the approach.

It's a big jet - you have to get it set up early :-)

HTH..

Peter

emerydc8

I agree with Peter on getting set up early on this.

I just did this Canarsie approach last night as a dive-and-drive in United's old 767 sim. The visuals are so limited that you can't see the runway from the left seat in order to judge when to start your right turn and line up with the runway. On the 744, I always put DMYHL on the fix page and put a 2-mile ring (/2) around it to use as a guide for when to start a descent out of MDA (800'). If you do this, you will wind up perfectly on the PAPI every time. For some inexplicable reason last night, as soon as I flew over DMYHL, it completely dumped it from the fix page. This was a Pegasus box too.

I think United could use Hardy's programming skills to straighten out a bunch of anomalies with their sims.

evaamo

Hi Andreas, Paradoxbox & Peter! thanks for the nice comments! I have 2 or 3 videos that I haven't uploaded yet and will do so next week when I get some time off.

One is landing in stormy weather into 05L of Mexico City (where I live at the moment), which was a nice challenge (I did set her up early in this one, Peter  ;D )

Peter:  thanks so much for the valuable feedback, I will try this scenario again and be setup and fully configured by 1000 AGL. It's absolutely true what you mention regarding her being a big jet and the importance of reducing workload on such a complex approach. The windshear detection factor is another consideration that someone with your background in flying heavies would notice immediately on the video and that us mortals fail to take into account (I've never flown anything bigger than a Cessna 182 in real life - VMC - and the biggest concern at my airfield wasn't microbursts but those damn birds on final!).

Great tips definitely! Thanks again, Peter.

Jon: thanks for the tip with regards to using the 2nm ring around DMYHL!

cheers
-E
Enrique Vaamonde

Britjet

Thanks Evaamo.

Just out of interest, for anyone using P3D, drzewiecki-design has a very nice New York Airports scenery which includes the Canarsie Approach lead-in lights.
I've only flown the real approach a few times and therefore I would defer to more experienced guys here, but I would say that the last 1000ft actually gets quite complicated. The main reason is the change in ROD that is required on late final compared to the very gradual approach toward DMYHL. Suddenly you are trying to adjust downwards to a normal 800fpm short final! You should also be "wings level" by 300 ft to consider yourself "stabilised". Not easy sometimes depending on wind. I think the "trick" is not to cut in too early..
The missed approach is an interesting one. You have two options. One is the IFR go-around - which if course you must fly if you don't get visual - but it requires a turn around onto the final approach heading and then intercepting a radial to ENE.
However (!) and maybe Jon can confirm - if you decide to go-around once visual - you should fly "runway heading" as per the AIM. No doubt JFK TWR would be giving you "advice" at this point!
Peter

FlyingBlue

Hi Evaamo,

I have watched your very nice video of the Canarsie KJFK Approach, I have tried out to get the right PSX + X-Plane 10 + Xview configuration, I wonder how you "merge" the two simulator screens to one at the same monitor. The only thing to get the combination working is with a split screen utility, but is not satisfactory.
I have read the Xview manual ofcourse but with no word is mentioned to perform the image is you showed in this nice video.
Please I need a little help....

Kind regards,

Sjaak den Boer

emerydc8

I've done this approach more times than can I remember in the real airplane and most of the time it seemed to be a stiff crosswind from the south. We'd usually request, and get, 13L since we parked off taxiway D at 13L. Never went around, but I'd bet money as soon as you called the missed they would give you a heading. I think the controllers there must have a big pot of coffee in the tower that they drink continuously because they all sound hyped up.

tango4

Jon,

A big pot of coffee in a control tower is like an oxygen mask in a cockpit. A mandatory equipment.
When you you have a slot for "ATC capacity", it is just a technical term to say we ran out of coffee...

Charles

emerydc8

Maybe the guys at JFK have intravenous-drip caffeine. I don't know how they do it when it gets busy.

torrence

The next time you hear the dulcet voice of 'Watson' giving you vectors be afraid, be very afraid.

Cheers,
Torrence
Cheers
Torrence