News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Native compatibility with Vatsim?

Started by Flex, Thu, 27 Apr 2017 19:26

Flex

Is there anyway to connect to the vatsim network without using a scenery gen? I realise there's a need for it on the ground but once airborne I prefer to just use PSX. Thoughts?

F

Mark

Up to Hardy, of course, but my summary:
Out-of-date protocol that requires an NDA to view the documentation and to allow your source code to be viewed by VATSIM staff members. Developer unfriendly and against best practices.

Edit: I'm currently in contact with the vPilot developer with the aim of writing a plugin for vPilot that will talk to PSX directly. This would then mean no scenery gen required. I don't know how this'll pan out, but I'm optimistic.

cavaricooper

I was interested in this for my Mac sessions.... the issue remains connecting at airports with ATC and taxying without visuals....

Interested to see what evolves.

Best- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Flex

I load up Xplane/P3D at the gate for taxiing to the runway then minimise Xplane/P3D once lined up. For me it's far more immersive using PSX fullscreen as I only use one monitor.

F

Markus Vitzethum

> the issue remains connecting at airports with ATC and taxying without visuals....

in case a "consumer" moving map (e.g. next version of Navigraph Charts with a PSX connection) becomes available, a solution to the taxy issue seems to be at hand. (Of course, other moving maps which are already available will do as well).

However, seeing other planes on the ground is important during busy times, e.g. in queues at the runway holding point or during world flight. I don't see how that will work (*) with native PSX when flying into busy airports. (Best avoid busy airports then :-)  e.g. ZBAA might be the 2nd busiest airport in the real world but in VATSIM it has hardly any traffic at all. :-/ ).

Markus

(*) other than injecting VATSIM ground traffic into Navigraph charts :-)
(**) or a 747-8 extension to PSX with ND taxi charts :-) :-)

kuroneko

Quote from: Felixsaddler on Thu, 27 Apr 2017 19:26
Is there anyway to connect to the vatsim network without using a scenery gen? I realise there's a need for it on the ground but once airborne I prefer to just use PSX. Thoughts?

I've been considering this approach because of the situation with XView + XSB, which I personally suspect won't be resolved.  If you don't get anywhere with Ross, let me know.