News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

NG FMS -vs- Legacy box

Started by Icarus747, Wed, 26 Apr 2017 00:26

Icarus747

All of the aircraft at my company (and all future aircraft) are being updated with the NG FMS.  In fact we only have 1 aircraft left with the legacy box.  Is there any plan to make this an option for PSX?  The new box will do everything the old one will plus some really cool new stuff.  I've built this simulator to learn the aircraft, but not having an NG box is kind of a bummer.
THRUST REF, VNAV SPEED!

Hardy Heinlin

There is a plan, and I'm in touch with two airlines that want to update PSX with the new FMS. However, I don't know when I can start the development -- if at all (I need some descriptions, otherwise I can't develop a model of it).

|-|

Markus Vitzethum

Just out of curiosity ... what are the differences between the original FMS (after FANS I) and the NextGen FMS? Is there a summary what the NextGen box can do differently or additionally? I assume that it is the same NG FMS used in the 747-8i/8F?

I am aware of the sigificantly increased memory size from 1 MegaWord to 50 MegaWords ( https://www.mitre.org/sites/default/files/pdf/12_1324.pdf )

Markus

andrej

Dear Markus,

on Honeywell's website I have found following table.

https://aerospace.honeywell.com/en/products/cockpit-systems/next-generation-flight-management-systems

Some NG FMS features:

* Flight Planning on Multiple Flight Plans
* Adaptable Modular Architecture
* Vectors-to-Final Approaches    
* First Principles Predictions optimized for future Air Traffic Management (ATM) functionality

Cheers,
Andrej

Icarus747

I can certainly get you the manual Hardy.  Maybe even out setup/differences checklist.
THRUST REF, VNAV SPEED!

jb747

Does anyone have a pic of the new FMC that you could post?

Thanks.

Jon

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

It looks quite the same as most other avionics LRUs, about this:

John H Watson

Actually, it's 3 times as big as that and gold in colour  :)

FMC photo

andrej

Quote from: John H Watson on Sat, 29 Apr 2017 03:26
Actually, it's 3 times as big as that and gold in colour  :)

FMC photo

Interesting! :) And how are the CDU pages different from the Legacy CDU? Is the keyboard layout any different?

Cheers,
Andrej

Markus Vitzethum

... or to put it in other words ... is the 747-400 NG box identical to the NG FMS used in the 747-8? (disregarding performance data, of course)

Markus

Hardy Heinlin

Meanwhile I got the chance to look into all the details of the NG system. As I wrote in another thread, the new system does not only replace the entire FMS, it also introduces new EFIS features, especially on the ND.

This is really a lot of development work. No joke!

Honestly, I cannot guarantee that PSX will ever get a complete model of the entire NG system.

Should it ever happen, it will take at least two years, I guess.

Regards,

|-|ardy

Markus Vitzethum

Is there any chance to talk about more details?

I am aware that the 747-8 with NG FMS does some things differently on the ND, but what is changed when retrofitting an NG FMS to the 747-400?

I also wonder if only the FMS box changes or are the MCDUs changed as well? So far I don't find any photos on the net showing anything different than the green colour font CDU. (The MCDU in the -8 has white fonts and I think some information is colour coded.)

Markus

skelsey

Hi Markus,

There are undoubtedly others here who will know far more about it than I, and it may well be something which is airline-specific, but certainly at BA I gather the CDUs themselves remain the old units with green writing; it is just the software which has changed.

Hardy Heinlin

Hi Skelsey,

that's interesting. Are you sure BA has not replaced the CDUs?

What about BA's PFD and ND? No change either? The NG system requires higher resolutions on the deviation indications -- for RF legs etc., and many other things.

Maybe some airlines are upgrading the FMCs only (not the CDUs and the IDS). I'm wondering what the others are doing -- Atlas Air, Kalitta etc. (The standard documents describe the full package anyway.)

|-|ardy

Gary Oliver

Hardy,

I am 99.999999% certain that the FMCs have been updated and the CDUs are exactly the same 1980s units.  Did you see my email with pictures I sent a few months back?  They were taken by a friend in BA Engineering on the flightdeck of a BA Jumbo just about to depart on scheduled services.

However I have no information on EIU updates.  I will ask a friend to see if we can dig out more.

Cheers
Gary

Hardy Heinlin

I got the pics now, Gary. Thanks! (Looks like the mail before was sent to a non-existent mail address.)

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Britjet

At least one of the BA 747 sims has NG software now. The CDU is the legacy one with green text. I imagine they will be looking to update the other sims as well..
I'm not sure if there is any difference on the flight instrumentation. I didn't notice one..
Peter

Hardy Heinlin

Is the NG upgraded BA 744 fleet certified to fly RF legs? I'm asking because the NG FMC can handle RF legs and this would be one of the advantages of the upgrade; but I think this advantage is disabled if the EFIS doesn't provide those additional indications.

|-|ardy

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

MCDUs are MCDUs. You can feed a green CRT 739A data that contains colours and it will just ignore them. The more modern LCD ones just display more text effects but the control protocol is the same and so are the keys.

Hoppie

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Thu,  4 May 2017 00:23
Is the NG upgraded BA 744 fleet certified to fly RF legs?
It may be that BA "just" went for upgraded FMCs only because they truly needed the extended database memory but did not specifically need the other gimmicks?

Hoppie