News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Aileron sensitivity using thrustmaster Warthog Hotas.

Started by Harvard4, Wed, 19 Apr 2017 14:43

Harvard4

I find that the aileron sensitivity is too high for my liking using my thrustmaster warthog stick. I have tried various neutral settings between zero and 150. I have also failed the aileron lockout system over 300kts and then slowed down to circuit speed flaps 10 and that certainly helps. Has anyone tried to use the target system within the Thrustmaster software to change the aileron sensitivity for the PSX program.?

Regards

Harvard4

Hardy Heinlin

I have the same stick and I find it OK.

The roll rates in PSX agree very nicely with those of the real 744. Of course, this has nothing to do with the USB hardware but refers solely to the control wheel deflection; maximum roll rate occurs at max deflection, no matter whether max deflection is achieved by the mouse or by a USB input or by something else.

The roll rate not only depends on the aileron lockout and airspeed but also on the fuel weight in the wing tanks. The heavier the wings the higher the inertia.

I'm sorry, the roll rates cannot be modified. You need the full control in non-normal conditions etc.

Regards,

|-|ardy

Harvard4

Dear Hardy
I have been flying at AUW 250 Tons in the circuit so far so maybe I try higher weights and see what response I get.
Thanks for your quick response.

Harvard4

Will

Make sure to look at the small flight control display in the upper left corner of the screen. The white control wheel should move from neutral to full deflection as your Warthog stick moves from center to full. If the control wheel display tracks your stick smoothly, then your controls are set up properly and all is working as advertised.

I also have the Warthog, and I find it makes a great combination with PSX.
Will /Chicago /USA

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

And indeed, a 744 minus 150 tonnes of fuel, at the low end of its capacity, flies like a jet fighter.

Well almost    :-)

Certainly no fly by wire normalization going on.

Hoppie

vito

Warthog users, how do you simulate rudder - Warthog doesn't have axis dedicated for rudder ?

best regards
vito

brian747

Hi Vito!

This is going to sound boring I know, but I use rudder pedals.     ::)

If you really *must* find a solution using the 'hog, then I suppose you might consider using the "slider" axis (just to the right of the thrust levers), although I have a feeling that asking your brain to convert left/right rudder commands into forwards/backwards movements of the slider might drive you nuts. Either that or you'll be shopping for rudder pedals within minutes of having tried it....      ;)

Cheers,

Brian
(Author of "The Big Tutorial" for PS1, and "Getting started with PSX" Parts 1, 2, and 3).

Will

Will /Chicago /USA

vito

Guys, thanks for explanations ...

best regards
vito

andrej

Vito,

I also use rudder pedals. For tiller I use MIC switch, hence maybe you can use one of the buttons for the rudder pedals (for example CMS, TMS, or DMS, or MIC toggles).

As for the pedals, I have CH Pro Pedals and I am quite happy with them (for the time being).

Cheers,
Andrej

dbw

Glad to see high end controllers work fine. I have the Saitek X-65 that is no longer available. Been using it for years and happy with it. I have given thought to picking up the Warthog controllers. I've got this sim on order and may get it next week.
Dave / in Winnipeg / Canada

Cbf

I was about to buy the Warthog Hotas. Unfortunatly, being right handed, I am unable to use a mouse and its buttons with my left hand. That's the reason why I have the Thrustmaster T16000M controler that can be configured left or right handed. That way, during manual flight, I use the stick with left hand and the mouse for thrust , MCP, flaps, gear control with right hand (Like a captain ;))
I also have a CH product rudder controler

pilotwannabe1

Harvard 4,

I have the same stick and used to find the roll axis a little too sensitive, particularly when hand-flying the approach.  In my opinion, this is due to the fact that an almost +/- 90 deg. rotation of the real CWS is mapped to a much smaller left-right movement of the joystick.  As a result, small movements of the joystick result in much larger rotations of the CWS (as seen in the top left corner of PSX), compared to RW observations from YouTube videos.

My solution:  I used the TARGET GUI software that came with the hardware to make the aileron axis non-linear.  Using the lowest setting of 1 makes the response almost perfect (for me).  With this setting, the same movement of the stick results in a smaller motion of the CWS around the neutral position.  If you increase the stick deflection, then the rotation of the CWS increases at an increased rate, so you still get the full deflection of the CWS for the full deflection of your joystick.

Hope this helps,
Rushad

Harvard4

Dear Rushad,  I wondered about the Target software
Quote from: pilotwannabe1 on Tue,  2 May 2017 23:19
Harvard 4,

I have the same stick and used to find the roll axis a little too sensitive, particularly when hand-flying the approach.  In my opinion, this is due to the fact that an almost +/- 90 deg. rotation of the real CWS is mapped to a much smaller left-right movement of the joystick.  As a result, small movements of the joystick result in much larger rotations of the CWS (as seen in the top left corner of PSX), compared to RW observations from YouTube videos.

My solution:  I used the TARGET GUI software that came with the hardware to make the aileron axis non-linear.  Using the lowest setting of 1 makes the response almost perfect (for me).  With this setting, the same movement of the stick results in a smaller motion of the CWS around the neutral position.  If you increase the stick deflection, then the rotation of the CWS increases at an increased rate, so you still get the full deflection of the CWS for the full deflection of your joystick.

Hope this helps,
Rushad
My Question is how to use the target software to generate a non linear axis as described in your post? do you disable the usb axis in PSX? What neutral setting did you use in PSX ? was that the 1 you mention?
Many thanks for your post.
Eric

pilotwannabe1

Hi Eric,

I can send you a PM with the TARGET file as well as with the corresponding file I use in PSX for the axes assignment.  If that works, let me know your email address where I can send the files.

Rushad

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

If this all works out, please consider to post that file for others as well. You can use the hoppie.nl site to post files for about a year.

http://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=1744.0

Hoppie

Harvard4

Quote from: pilotwannabe1 on Thu,  4 May 2017 00:12
Hi Eric,

I can send you a PM with the TARGET file as well as with the corresponding file I use in PSX for the axes assignment.  If that works, let me know your email address where I can send the files.

Rushad
Hi Rushad, many thanks for your reply. My E-Mail address is eric.webster@live.co.uk.
Hoppie if this works out I will post as suggested. regards

Edit HH: Quote tag added

pilotwannabe1

As requested, I am posting two files along with a ReadMe.  These files enable you to:

(1) Assign keystrokes to buttons for functions that are not present in the USB tab in PSX. The list of these keystroke-assignable functions can be found on pages 26 – 33 of the PSX manual.

(2) Tweak the sensitivity of control axes, to make them either more or less sensitive. E.g., in the enclosed PSX.fcf file, I have made the aileron axes a little less sensitive around the neutral point.

File 1:  PSX.cfc.  File can be found here:  http://www.hoppie.nl/forum/var/PSX.fcf

File 2:  RFE_PSX.pref.  File can be found here:  http://www.hoppie.nl/forum/var/RFE_PSX.pref

File 3:  ReadME.pdf.  File can be found here:  http://www.hoppie.nl/forum/var/ReadMe.pdf

Note that you need to use both File 1 and File 2 together, else you will get unintended results.  Needless to say, these settings and assignments are what work for me, but YMMV and you may need to make some changes to suit your needs.

Hope these are of help and let me know if you have any questions.

Rushad