News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

B744/748 Photography

Started by Mariano, Thu, 6 Apr 2017 19:24

Will

JPC, we have a lot in common! I use aperture mode as well, exclusively, since I shoot with a Leica M and there is no other automatic mode available. I usually set the f-stop on the lens (manually, of course, since that's the only option) and let the camera pick the exposure time. I like shooting wide open, because Leica lenses just sing when they're fast.

As I said above, my taste is more towards documentary and reportage. Or "street" photography, as it were. I'm not a professional photographer and I don't intend to be. I treasure the opportunities for learning from the pros, but I certainly don't count myself among them!

Below is an image that I took two years ago. I think it shows what I'm interested in doing when it comes to photography. The scene is the story, with nothing needed after the shot is taken to create drama or to make the story better.

Hardy, I know what you previously said about your style being poetry versus my style being journalism. I like to think that the photographer can find poetry in the scene itself. Maybe a good analogy would be a journalist who writes about facts but does it in a lyrical way full of the wonder of language that makes communication a thing of beauty.

As usual, I realize it's always in the eye of the beholder, but I'd be curious as to others' opinions.

Thanks for the conversation so far.

Will /Chicago /USA

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: jpcvanheijst on Fri, 14 Apr 2017 00:37
I'm finding myself every now and then on this forum and I'm amazed with the detailed reproduction of the 747 for Flight Simulator.
Thanks for the compliment, JPC. By the way, Precision Simulator is not an add-on for Microsoft Flight Simulator. It's a stand-alone simulator that comes with its own world and is designed for flight and systems training.

Will, I like your photo. And it's a good example: For such social or human topics I too prefer to keep the photo as raw as possible. In this case it's about authenticity. In my first post in this thread I was solely focussed on JPC's flightdeck photos and I thought your criticism too was just referring to these. Unlike photos of humans, I think flightdeck photos, and any photos of lamps, screens, and displays, need not be that raw because the flightdeck objects themselves are already artificial, man made light effects -- like spotlights on a theater stage. I consider them painting tools. Whereas human beings are not tools; they speak for themselves.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

I ordered the book as well and was pleasantly surprised: much more book than I expected for "just" $35 and the photos come with good commentary, too.

Definitely suitable both for a few nice evenings with a drink on the sofa and no TV, or to have something extraordinary on your coffee table should you have one.

And I have a few other ideas, too.

Hoppie

junkun459

Hi all

I got this  "CARGOPILOT" today from Amazon.. 
This book is really exciting book!  I recommend this book to all 747-400 fans.
I was deeply impressed by many of these photos.  It is also interesting to read his comments for each photo.

Jun

Markus Vitzethum

Hi all,

those of you who have the book already might have found the section on the unknown lights on/over the Pacific while the author was flying HKG-ANC on  a night flight.I find this section pretty fascinating showing some orange / glowing lights down on the surface where nothing but black sea was to be expected.

More can be found here (picture is from there):
http://www.pbase.com/flying_dutchman/pacific_eruption

Enjoy!

Markus

Phil Bunch

Spectacular photos...and spectacular illustrations of the beauty of aviation...
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

Will

Will /Chicago /USA

United744

I'm totally with Will - I do street photography, and aim for the raw, "in the moment" feeling, with little to no post-processing.

I nearly bought a Leica M Monochrom a few years ago, but settled on a Nikon D7200 instead as it was more flexible for my needs. My favorite lens is the Nikkor 20 mm, f/1.4 with manual focus/aperture (it's an older lens, not the newer AF model). Stunning! I also do quite a bit of macro photography, too.

That is not say I don't appreciate JVH's work! I do feel too many photos are ... excessively processed these days.

In the case of these 747 photos, these are art. The colors are a bit strong for my taste, but I don't appreciate them any less. :D

stekeller

JPC -

I too got your book and it is great you found us here. PSX is a follow-on to Professional Simulator 1, which was a DOS program from way back in the 1990s and really the first in-depth software available to the public allowing full flight capabilities in a heavy jet (that I know of), and no less than my favorite - the 747 (specifically the -400).

HH is a downright genius and his products have always been first rate. Keep the beautiful pictures coming and fly safe!

- Stekeller

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Update: Christiaan's web shop for large format prints is open.

https://jpcvanheijst.com/webshop/open-edition-prints

Copyright Christiaan van Heijst

Hoppie