News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Do I really need to activate IPV6 in my router and PC?

Started by Phil Bunch, Thu, 6 Apr 2017 18:24

Phil Bunch

Do I really need to activate IPV6 in my router and PC? 

I looked into it a little and while it doesn't look impossible for me, it seems to be just complex enough to have some risk of screwing up the process.

Also, I am not noticing *any* problems by not having IPV6, so when would I obtain the (well known) benefits of IPV6 in routine use as an end user?

Is PSX IPV6 compatible?

------------------

I am unsure if this should be started as a separate thread since it may not be worth much attention or interesting to many others.
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

Hardy Heinlin

I just split your post into a new thread, Phil.

|-|ardy

asboyd

IPV6 does not give any "real benefits" other than to allow more end points to exist.
Most routers, gateways and in house networks are still only capable of IPV4.
Server farms and newer networks are starting to roll out IPV6, but they also use IPV4 gateways to allow backward compatibility.
If you buy an IPV6 router for home you can use it, but at home you will not see any change in the way things happen. Most carriers are still supporting both as they know it will take time to upgrade all existing equipment. Plus you will probably have to apply for the individual IPV6 addresses for each of your pieces of equipment, there will no longer be "private" lan addressing as each item will have a unique address (or so we were told at the IPV6 forum when they started the planning).
Cheer,
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Concur.

If you are in any way associated with networking administration as a pro, you definitely should be attempting to get IPv6 working everywhere, or else the world will catch up on you unexpectedly.

But if you are a mere networking end user, then you don't need to worry for a while. Much of your equipment will slowly migrate via dual-stack to IPv6 and your ISP will offer IPv4 out of your router for years. They may use IPv6 on their backhaul but you won't see this. There's a nice cozy spot inside IPv6 where IPv4 can and will live for many years to come.

For Hardy, it sits somewhere in the middle. Java supports IPv6 now, so some tentative looking into possible adaptions are relevant, but testing it fully requires IPv6 dual-stack and IPv6-only networks. I presume this will become a matter of successive beta releases aimed at the few among us who know what their networks are or should be capable of.

Most PCs with Apple or Microsoft operating systems are IPv6-capable now.

Hoppie

Phil Bunch

Thanks for the very informative and technically interesting replies.

I'm glad I didn't try to convince my home router to work with IPV6 and I am glad I can go back to sleep on this issue!
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch