News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Navigraph + Jeppesen

Started by farrokh747, Wed, 22 Mar 2017 14:54

funkyhut

I'm well aware of the reasoning, clearly articulated by Hardy, behind the NAVDATA relationships inherent in the PSX process as it relates to professional customers, and fully accept the reasons for the commensurate annual updating of the NAVDATA in PSX.

However, with Navigraph now transitioning to Jeppesen and a 28 day update cycle, does that throw new light on provision of NAVDATA to PSX from Navigraph?

As has already been mentioned here, Navigraph look as if they will include PSX in their chart geo referenced moving map product.

Not in any way trying to be controversial but just asking if this is a game changer for PSX?

Thanks.   
Greetings from the mountains of Northern Thailand (VTCC),
Chris Stanley.

Hardy Heinlin

Outside PSX you are allowed to use whatever third party application you like: Moving maps, coffee makers etc. pp.

Inside * PSX you can only use data formats that PSX can read, e.g.: Aerowinx nav databases, Aerowinx situation files, Aerowinx route files etc., plus -- and that's an exception -- PFPX route files. (PSX converts the PFPX format to PSX format internally when the FMC is loading it. PFPX doesn't know the PSX format; PFPX just copies its own unconverted route files to the Aerowinx/Routes folder.)

In short words: PSX cannot read Navigraph file formats. And Navigraph is not allowed to convert Jeppesen data to PSX file formats. But Navigraph is allowed to read aircraft position data from PSX and use that position in external applications, e.g. in an external moving map that contains Jeppesen data.

This rule is not new, and will not be changed.

Regards,

|-|ardy

* Inside PSX the nav database is used by the following components:
- Flight Management System
- EGPWS landing-short-of-runway alert (TCF)
- Navaid stations and receivers
- Airport communication radios and receivers
- Voice-ATC and CPDLC simulation
- Voice-ATIS and D-ATIS
- METAR management
- Instructor maps
- Instructor Analysis pages
- Instructor aircraft repositioning tools
- Scenery generator (runways, gates, airport beacons)

farrokh747

Quotee.g. in an external moving map that contains Jeppesen data.

This would be ideal.....  especially for taxi.....   and it wont disturb any navdata agreements...

There are a few EFB's out there, (http://www.aivlasoft.com, etc) but they are all linked to fsx/p3d - so once would have to have them running to get a moving map, etc - perhaps Navigraph will include PSX, so we can do it directly....

In time, i hope the other vendors also include native PSX support - for eg: http://fswidgets.com 

http://fswidgets.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=60

Q: apart from the Lt/Long, would the addon developer need other info? Perhaps Alt, Speed?

fc

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: farrokh747 on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 10:15
Q: apart from the Lt/Long, would the addon developer need other info? Perhaps Alt, Speed?

You can read the entire output of the PSX network server. This includes aircraft altitude and speed and many other variables. Most of the existing PSX add-ons wouldn't exist without all these outputs.

But there is no access to PSX's nav database.

|-|

Will

There are already some engaged PSX users who are orienting Navigraph to the PSX network output. They're making it very easy for Navigraph to tap into that stream if they wish, and thereby make a moving map for PSX. It's not clear yet if Navigraph will take them up on the offer... they're busy and have their own priorities.

Just one comment about Navigraph: it will update the data within PFPX. So right now, since the PSX navdata update, if you use Navigraph and use it to synch with PFPX, you can see a real thing of beauty:

+ External digital charts (printable to paper charts if desired)
+ Flight planning software (PFPX)
+ PSX and the 747's FMC

... all up to date and using the same data.
Will /Chicago /USA

funkyhut

Will, that's if you update PFPX to 1703 and PSX to the 1703 NAVDATA update, which I've done.
Then the geo referenced charts from Navigraph will match up too, but again only with 1703.
I guess that works.
For me, 1604 had major changes to VTCC, my local airport, so PSX was locked on 1603 till 1703. Small point in the grand picture I guess. It just depends how you get your fun - enjoyment - learning from PSX.
Here's hoping we get the geo referenced moving charts. That goes back to the days of the original SimCharts product from Jeppesen for, I think FS 2004/9. Round full circle!
All that has changed is the price!
Chris Stanley.

Will

What you say is true, PSX doesn't update except for yearly.

But PFPX, which with Navigraph will stay synched with electronic and paper charts, exports route data in a way that for that route supersedes Aerowinx' own PXS data. Let's say that a VOR is moved 10 NM to the north. PFPX will reflect that, as will Navigraph charts. The PFPX route file exported to PSX will include the VOR and all of its derivative waypoints as being moved 10 NM to the north, and the entire route, be visually congruent with Navigraph charts and will be performance-wise congruent with what's predicted in PFPX.

Note that this system isn't bulletproof -- if ATC directs the aircraft to a location that's not in the current PFPX flight plan, then that waypoint will be in native PSX airspace, which may or may not have been superseded by an update.
Will /Chicago /USA

funkyhut

Good point and close is better than not at all!
Let's see when Navigraph launch the next Charts version.
Chris Stanley.