News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Microsoft Surface Pro

Started by dbw, Sun, 19 Mar 2017 22:20

dbw

Has anyone tried running this sim on one? I'm debating replacing my iPad with one.
Dave
Dave / in Winnipeg / Canada

camille

Hi Dave.
Yes. It works fine. But the menu and instructor page appears in very small letters. Maybe a video driver update is needed? I don't know. The touchscreen to control the sim is great.
Here is a screenshot: https://1drv.ms/i/s!AtauvnzzBtNLi0uTySSjsTcM7zYB
The resolution is very good; better than the screenshot.
Best regards.
Camille

dbw

May I ask which model you have? CPU, graphics....integrated or a stand alone GPUs, amount of ram etc.

I've just started looking at the surface tablet. It seems like a very interesting item.

--------------------

Not sure if I interpreted the o/s that this will run on but I thought it mentioned the Apple iOS o/s. The next ipad, the Pro 2, is going to have a lot more power and more ram. Be interesting if anyone has run it on the current iPad Pro.

Many thanks for all replies.

Dave

Mariano

Dave,

I am running PSX on a Surface Pro 3 (i7-4650U CPU), 8 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro and I am very, very happy with it. Graphics are extremely crisp. I use the Surface because I am on the road a lot (I have a laptop at home).

Regards,

Mariano

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

As far as I know, iOS does not support Java applications, and thus also not PSX.  There is a headless Java port to iOS but that is mostly a Java Light kind of thing that definitely won't do for PSX.

There are a few PSX-specific apps though, like a remote MCDU. As long as it has been developed for/on iOS, no problem.

Using virtual desktop projectors will also work, but obviously mostly negates the whole purpose.

Hoppie

camille

Hi Dave.

I have the MICROSOFT Surface Pro 4 12.3" Intel Core i5 128 GB 4 GB RAM and Windows 10. Perfect.
Cheers.

dbw

Thanks very much for the feedback everyone. Seems like a capable portable device.
Cheers,
Dave

Phil Bunch

Isn't it possible to "jailbreak" iOS and thereby become able to run all sorts of things?  Of course one makes Apple support and service impossible.

Would this step in principle make it possible to run PSX on an iPad?
-----------------------

My wife and I have acquired iPad Pros and are favorably impressed at the improvements the increased specs make possible.  Increased "SSD" (RAM) and a noticeably faster CPU are helpful in surprisingly many situations.  They also make great portable internet-based TVs, easily hooking up via Wi-Fi to most of our cable TV channels.  The cable TV company provides an app for portable TV usage.  Only a small number of channels are available away from our home, though.  (Our vendor is Spectrum/Time Warner.)
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

cavaricooper

Yet another hopeful Apple user.... it would be brilliant to have PSX running on an iPad Pro... I would even consider jailbreaking for that....

Fingers x'ed!

C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Stephane LI

The Surface Pro looks interesting. Are you able to plug-in a Joystick or a Yoke on the surface pro ? How do you control the aircraft when hand flying ?

Stéphane

Mariano

Stephane,

Yes to both.

When I hand fly, I use a mouse.

The Surface Pro 3 has only one USB port. I added a sleek, low-profile three-port hub for extra peripherals.

If to be used at home/office, I highly recommend buying the docking station.

I believe the newer Surface Book solves all these issues.

Regards,

Mariano

joyschtik

I have a surfce pro 4 i7 2.2 GHz 16 GB RAM running Windows 10 Pro. I also have  bluetooth mouse and pen connected.

My Logitech Extreme 3D Pro stick does not work however.

Any tips?

Thanks

Hardy Heinlin