News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Transition From Auto Flight to Manual on Approach

Started by funkyhut, Sat, 18 Mar 2017 15:01

funkyhut

Is there a standard procedure to transition from LNAV, VNAV,  A/P and A/T on as the LOC and G/S are captured to taking over and flying the approach completely manually? Where is the best place to read up on this?
I've been disengaging the A/P and A/T once stabilised. Should I also be turning off the FDs? How about the LNAV and VNAV switches?
Thanks in anticipation.
Greetings from the mountains of Northern Thailand (VTCC),
Chris Stanley.

Will

Autopilot and autothrottle go off at the same time, but other than that, think there's wide variability in what pilots and operators do. (I speak in general terms, not specifically about the 744, which I've never flown, but I think the various videos available online back me up on this.)

Certainly it's easiest to wait until stabilized on an ILS in with LOC and G/S captured, and then disconnect the autopilot and autothrottle. But many will choose to hand-fly down from 10,000 ft or even higher. Honestly, it's fun to fly the aircraft, so many people like flying manually and transition early. And that can be with, or without, the flight director.
Will /Chicago /USA

funkyhut

Thanks Will. Much appreciated for that.
Just watched Peter's video on changing runways and that covers transitioning out of auto flight involving the FD. Worth a watch for sure to understand the process.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iANpEdaEsgY&feature=youtu.be
Chris Stanley.

skelsey

You won't go too far wrong watching Peter's videos!

General rules:

- A/T out first, then A/P (don't leave the A/T in when hand-flying as you are liable to end up in PIO due to the thrust-pitch coupling -- it's OK in a fixed thrust mode like THR REF after takeoff, though).

- If you're not going to follow the FD, switch it off (indeed, I would suggest switch them both off) or you are liable to get yourself in all manner of strife. Not only is it distracting, remember that the FD is the 'brain' -- the A/P is just the 'muscle'. If you do not follow the FD in manual flight you are liable to end up in undesirable modes and the aeroplane may well make a very good attempt at killing you (although not a Jumbo, Asiana at SFO was at least partially a good demonstration of this).

- However, if you are going to follow the FD then by all means leave it on (for example, if you are in LOC | GS coming down the glidepath then there is no problem at all with leaving the FD on and following its commands).

- LNAV and VNAV -- not quite sure what you're asking. If you are establishing on the ILS then (assuming you have armed APP etc) the modes will automatically sequence as you capture each element. You don't need to touch the LNAV or VNAV buttons at this point.

Hope that is helpful!

funkyhut

Many Thanks skelsey.
All makes sense.
After experimenting some more I don't know why I mentioned LNAV and VNAV either!
Thank you again for your time.
Chris Stanley.