News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Well, this will be a treat!

Started by Will, Sat, 18 Feb 2017 03:34

Will

I've got an upcoming trip on a 747-400. It may not seem like such a big deal to regular visitors of this forum, but it is to me, since it's been a good 15 years, I think, since I've been on one.

Not that I haven't traveled. But I've been sticking with one airline because of their easy non-stop flights to my common destinations, and because of their reward program. And that airline has no 747's. The end result is that I've become very familiar with the insides and outsides of the 777, another fine aircraft, but it's been forever since I've been on the 744. That's about to change!

I'm heading to London soon, outbound on a 787, and inbound on a 747-400. I"m looking forward to the trip.
Will /Chicago /USA

John H Watson

Hope you have fun )))

I recently had a last minute upgrade to "A" Zone. The first row, in fact... so I arrived at the airport before the pilots did  ;D So many unusual sounds... Some I wasn't sure what caused them.

The graunching of the nosewheel steering mechanism.
The bumps of the aircraft going over the runway centreline lights. Not much cushioning.
I think I heard the whirring of the nosewheel rudder pedal steering actuators during rotation (to prevent the nose wheel moving prior to being retracted.. and after)
The braking of the nose wheel after lift off...  (loud) ... a shock for first timers

The sound of the speedbrake actuator on landing.

There was a sound which I thought was one of the pilot's electric seats during the takeoff roll. I've heard it before in videos during the takeoff roll, but I don't know why the pilots would be adjusting their seats at this point in time.  This aircraft was fitted with electric seats, however.

I was surprised I didn't hear the Rad Alt callouts.

Britjet

Yes - the nosewheel braking pad makes quite a racket sometimes - and is particularly noticeable in F/C.
Did you also hear a loud popping sound as the cabin crew opened the champagne? A very localised sound this one, hem hem..
I'm sure Hardy can model all this..
Peter.

Will

Interesting that you can hear the speedbrake actuator from the cabin below the cockpit.
Will /Chicago /USA

Hardy Heinlin

Not surprising.

I can hear, through a very thick stone wall, my neighbour's toilet flush.

If it was a servo motor I would hear it too, I'm sure.

tango4

You should ask your neighbour to replace his toilet with a throttle quadrant then. I'm sure he'll appreciate...

John H Watson

QuoteInteresting that you can hear the speedbrake actuator from the cabin below the cockpit.

Actually, the actuator is located in the A Zone ceiling (i.e. below the cockpit floor)

Speedbrake Mechanism

There is only one thin layer of honeycomb panelling. Access for maintenance is relatively simple (if you can figure out which roof panel it is)  ;D