News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

is there a rule of thumb for crosswind landings?

Started by florismulock, Fri, 30 Dec 2016 18:36

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: jcomm on Tue, 21 Jan 2020 13:54
Or.. he's referring to the typical fwd slip technique

That would be the third technique he mentioned:

QuoteThere's 3 methods described by Boeing as applicable. Decrab, no crab and sideslip.

I was referring to the second one: "No crab". I think he just meant to write "no decrab". Otherwise the whole sentence would make no sense.

In other words: Decrab, no decrab, or sideslip.

• Decrab during the flare so that on touchdown the aircraft is aligned with the runway heading.

• Do not decrab during the flare so that on touchdown the aircraft crabs along an icy runway.

• Sideslip during the flare so that on touchdown the aircraft is aligned with the runway heading.

|-|

P.S.: PSX users who like to do crosswind landings and rollouts may consider the weather conditions re dry, wet, icy. They will make a difference ...

andmiz

Ooops, I did mean to write "no decrab. "

I got all excited about the opportunity to discuss crosswind technique and didn't proofread my post.

ahaka

Hello,

On the touchdown analysis page, there is the offset from runway centerline at the time of initial touchdown. Would it be possible to also add a measurement for maximum deviation from centerline during the landing roll after touchdown?

Also, how about a parameter, or even a sound/physics effect if one of the landing gears/wheels hits the runway edge lights of the runway or exits the paved surface into the grass area?
Antti

Hardy Heinlin

Hello,

regrettably, my todo list is so long that is doesn't allow me to work on additional touchdown analyses ... :-)

Regards,

|-|ardy

ahaka

I understand. The touchdown analysis page is an excellent feature already, I just wish I could analyze my landings even further. Even a possibility to replay the landing in an external scenery generator would do.
Antti

Hardy Heinlin

Have you tried the various flight recorder data outputs on Instructor > Analysis > Recorder?

You can load the recorded files in Excel, for example.

ahaka

Thanks, I will try that next time, although I do not need it to be that comprehensive :), but rather just a way to check on how far does the aircraft drift from the centerline during the landing roll.

By the way, it does indeed make a difference if the runway is wet rather than dry in PSX! I find it harder to stay on the centerline in wet conditions.
Antti

andrej

Speaking of crosswind landings, here is nice video from Osaka Itami (RJOO).
For a second there, I thought that it will be a missed approach. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWxMJnS7JRk

Cheers,
Andrej

fft82

Quote from: emerydc8 on Sat, 31 Dec 2016 19:33you can't get away with any general aviation slop, like not crossing the numbers on-speed, floating, or landing 75 feet off centerline.

I thought those were SOP  ;D

ahaka

I don't mean to annoy you with requests, Hardy, and I understand that maybe my question is a bit "arcade'ish", but I wanted to see what happens if landing with exteme bank angle of above 30*. I was expecting to get the "fatal damage" screen, but to my surprise the aircraft just kept going and then landed with the steep bank and straightened up (it did get the "wing and pod strike occured" -notions on the analysis page).

Would this be a time consuming task to change? So that in certain situations the wing strike/scrape would lead to the "fatal damage" screen instead of letting you get away with it?
Antti

Hardy Heinlin

It is intentional that the wing strike won't cause a fatal (deadly) damage. The terrain closure rate is the essential factor. Increase that and you will get your fatal damage.

ahaka

I wasn't looking for "fatal damage" per se. It was just my thinking that such wing strike would have probably made a good part of the wing detach and lead to that "fatal" scenario.

I can see why it is not a top priority to have such thing in an airliner FLIGHT sim, but thought I'd ask. I know it is not a crash analytics simulator. :)
Antti

ahaka

Finally I had some time to try out the new updated aerodynamics model with crosswind landings. I have a .situ file I've used in the past that has a crosswind coming straight from the right at 25 knots with gusts up to 35 knots. Moderate turbulence.

I thought I noticed that now the changes in wind speed feel more difficult to manage especially  during the last moments before touchdown. The aircraft now seems to react more sensitively to these changes in wind. Or am I imagining things? Maybe my skills are getting rusty. :-) For example, I had to go around many times because either a gust or a reduction in wind speed occurred shortly before touchdown. It felt more stable before.

In the old model, were the gusts supressed at lower altitudes or was the aircraft just not as "reactive" to them?
Antti

Hardy Heinlin

It's vice versa: The turbulence in the turbulence layer (light, medium, severe) is now weaker.

And the turbulence generated by the wind gust setting (direction/knots) is the same as before.

The latest addition is a yaw impulse toward the aircraft track that occurs on touchdown due to main gear tire friction; this is a slight self-decrab effect that supports the manual decrab action.

|-|ardy

ahaka

That is strange... I could have sworn the gusts are now more effective. :-) I guess it is just me getting rusty.
Antti