News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Frank Zappa Auction

Started by farrokh747, Fri, 4 Nov 2016 04:55

farrokh747

Hardy Heinlin

The Neve mixing console is nice ...

|-|

emerydc8

Current bid for the Strat -- $55,000? Wow. You could buy a lot of Steve Morse Signature guitars for that -- and, unlike the Strat, they will actually stay in tune.

farrokh747

You know an entire era had come to an end when they start selling the furniture....

emerydc8

Sad. He was a brilliant musician.

farrokh747

QuoteHe was a brilliant musician

So true - Inca Roads still knocks me out......

It would have been great to hear his commentary on the 2016 US elections and the Donald....

martin

Quote from: farrokh747It would have been great to hear his commentary on the 2016 US elections and the Donald....

There's an iconic poster of Mr Z. (hint: title rhymes) which might do the job, methinks... 

Martin

farrokh747

Hardy Heinlin

Good old times ... in the 1980s I occassionally worked in a studio that was equipped with another mixing console previously used by Pink Floyd; that was a bit "newer" and was fitted with "modern" flat faders already (no "thrust lever" style) and with fader automation. However: no motors, just VCAs. And still, Pink Floyd weren't happy with the VCAs, so they replaced all those electronic faders by pure "biological" passive faders. No wishiwashi. Just cables :-)

|-|

farrokh747

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-41276669

one more.... get in touch with your inner Hrundi V. Bakshi ...

fc

Hardy Heinlin

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

(about 90% off topic)

These days, I often use this kind of mixing consoles as an illustration on how not to manage projects. If you don't hear an instrument, do not reach for the slider and increase its volume (increase task priority). You will end up, very very soon, with all sliders maxed out. Everything is High Priority. Everything is on fire.

Been there, done that, in my brief stint as 'audio engineer' of a band of students. It was more 'loudness engineering', I admit.

I also invented the other approach... one by one, pull down all sliders until they are all at zero except for the vocals, and still the house manager asked to not make it so loud... after which I pointed at the console... it's all coming from the stage, man...

Hoppie

Hardy Heinlin

Now you need to explain what your "hear-the-instrument" metaphor refers to :-)

Is it "find-the-fault"?

|-|ardy

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Task priority in a too small team of engineers... If you do it wrong, you add tasks and increase priorities, but you never have the guts to cut something out and let it die for the greater good of the new priorities. Probably a case of sunken cost fallacy?    :-)

Similar to giving up building A during a fire to save building B.

Hoppie

Hardy Heinlin

Ah ... task priority ...

Fortunately, in sound mixing, to make a certain sound source more dominant, you can vary many more parameters than just the volume alone. And that's actually the main art in sound mixing. It's like painting with different colors. Not just with the brightness of the colors, but also with their hue and saturation. And then comes the structure of the colored objects. Large, simple structures paired with a small, complex structure and so on. And then comes the mix of sharp and blurred objects. And repetitions. Build various priority levels by using volume, color, structure, texture, blur, repetitions etc.

(30% off topic)

|-|ardy

Bluestar

I have two guitars of note, a 1935 Martin OM that belonged to my grandfather and a '67 Telecaster with a Fender Champ amp (tubes).  I went to a Jeff Beck concert a few years back and he was using two Fender Champs.  I've got other guitars, but these are the main one's.

Back in the '60s I played and sang a lot but gave it up because I couldn't make my voice sound like Don Everly. 🤣
Grace and Peace,

Bode