News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Gueuze

Started by Will, Thu, 17 Jun 2010 19:16

Will

I had a gueuze last night, not exactly bad, but wow.  An acquired taste.  Any gueuze drinkers on this forum care to comment on the role it plays in your life?
Will /Chicago /USA

Phil Bunch

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Gueuze Geuze (Boon, Mariage Parfait) from a 375ml bottle.
Type    Beer
Country of origin    Belgium (Pajottenland)
Alcohol by volume    4-6%[1]
Flavour    Dry, cidery, musty, sour
Variants    Lambic
Related products    Kriek, Framboise

Gueuze (or Geuze) is a type of lambic, a Belgian beer. It is made by blending young (1-year-old) and old (2–3-year-old) lambics into a new beer, which is then bottled for a second fermentation. Because the young lambic is not fully fermented, it contains fermentable sugars, which allow the second fermentation to occur. Lambic that undergoes a second fermentation in the presence of sour cherries before bottling results is kriek, a beer closely related to Geuze.

------------

Are you bragging or complaining?  (grins)
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

Will

Phil, you could have kept quoting: "Furthermore, the wild yeasts that are specific to lambic-style beers give gueuze a dry, cidery, musty, sour, acetic acid, lactic acid taste. Many describe the taste as sour and 'barnyard-like.'"
Will /Chicago /USA

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

It is my favourite, full stop. Badly enough most places don't have it any longer in the Netherlands. Will, which Gueuze did you have? They do differ quite a bit. And the brewers beat up each other over who is real and who is fake.

Btw the variants with fruit flavours aren't on my list, not even Kriek.

Jeroen

PS. If you like to experiment further, try a Rodenbach Grand Cru. "Sour" will never have the same meaning again.

Will

I think it was de Konick, but I can't remember.  I got it at a bar here called the Hop Leaf, that specializes in Belgian beers.  They do have Rodenbach Grand Cru, although not on tap, just in bottles.  I'll give it a try the next time I go.

Will
Will /Chicago /USA

Shiv Mathur

Quote from: Will CronenwettI think it was de Konick, but I can't remember.

Yes, I've had evenings like that as well !

Hardy Heinlin

How do Belgians pronounce "Gueuze"?

Will

I wondered about that too.  I have no idea how we pronounce it here.  I'd say "gooze" (rhyming with ooze) or "goys" (rhyming with boys).  But that's in English.  Hardy, how would a native German speaker pronounce it, assuming no Belgian were available to give suggestions?
Will /Chicago /USA

Hardy Heinlin

I don't know. Literally in German it would be:

Gu oi tseh

Or:

Gü u tseh

u like in put
ü like in ... not available in English :-)

English speakers round the ü down to the u, East European speakers round it up to the i. If you form your lips to 50:50 mix of i and u you get ü.

50% put and 50% pit = 100% püt

|-|

Shiv Mathur

Quote from: Hardy Heinlinü like in ... not available in English :-)

Mew?  View?  Muse?

Shiv

Will

Those words have the sounds sequentially, first the eeee, then the uuuu, like V-eeeeeeuuuuuu-w.  The German ü has both at the exact same time.  Here's another way to do it: make your mouth in the same position as you would have it to say "eeeee," except that your lips are in the same position as if you were saying "uuuuu."
Will /Chicago /USA

Shiv Mathur

Okay ... now I get what both you and Hardy are saying.

Thanks.

Hardy Heinlin

When I said "lips" that was not quite correct. It's more like Will said, but I would say tongue intead of mouth.

Form your tongue so as if you would say iiiiii
Form your lips so as if you would say uuuu
That together will sound like üüüüüüü :-)

Do you like Mongolian music? It's fantastic. They, too, have lots of üüü, but they add an another kind of high pitched iiiii that comes out of the throat and with that they can produce two different melodies with one mouth simultaneously. It  sounds as beautiful as the Mongolian landscape.

Search tip: Hüün-Hüür-Tü

|-|

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

göze or gøze may induce the right sounds.

eu is one of these typical Dutch double vowels that are pronounced as one vowel but for which we don't have a separate symbol.  ø comes close.

Gueuze is an overcomplex spelling. Just geuze would work as well.

Hardy Heinlin

z ...

zulu or tsulu?

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

g as in gavotte (French)
eu as in ø
z as in zulu

http://belgianstyle.com/mmguide/pronounce/speak.html

Will

Jeroen, is there a phonetic distinction between ø and ö?  I thought they were the same... at least in Danish.
Will /Chicago /USA

Hardy Heinlin

How do you pronounce gavotte?

martin

Quote from: Jeroen HoppenbrouwersGueuze is an overcomplex spelling. Just geuze would work as well.
Isn't "gueuze" just the Wallon (cf. French) spelling? In which case the first "u" is needed to make the initial G "hard", without it it would be "soft" (as in Géneviève).

Whereas "geuze" (any relation to the guys opening the flood gates?) is the Vlaams spelling and doesn't need the first "u" because no one outside Nederland en België can pronounce it anyway.

Or?

(But of course a Vlaam will consider the Wallon spelling overly complex, just as a Wallon will consider the Vlaams pronunciation to be so.
BTW Will they finally split up now?)

Čîrs,
Martin
 :twisted:

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Will: the same, just not everybody knows both spellings.
Hardy: drink more wine, it comes by itself.
Martin: sure, as is even explained (but in Dutch) over here:
http://home.scarlet.be/pajottenland/pajot/bier/schrijfwijze.htm

It can also go wrong...