News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Mails from Aerowinx in your spam folder?

Started by Hardy Heinlin, Wed, 19 Oct 2016 21:20

Hardy Heinlin

Hi all,

at least 2 or 3 guys who got normal mails from me personally have noticed my mails ended up in their spam folder. I don't know why this is happening. The problem started 2 weeks ago or earlier.

So if anyone is expecting a reply from me, please check your spam folder.

Thanks,

|-|ardy

Avi

Avi Adin
LLBG

G-CIVA

All sorted at my end Hardy by marking your e-mail as 'not spam'.

Some changes to gmail (my preferred medium) since we last communicated but it seems to be fixed now at my end.
Steve Bell
aka The CC

Hessel Oosten

Although it's not usual to "promote" here programs, in this context of this thread I like to mention MailWasher Pro.

This program is/functions between your local PC email program (e.g. MS Outlook) and the mail on the server of your internet provider. It can check your  (expected) mail at intervals you wish and tell in you the status (if you wish) in the taskbar by a blinking small (!) grey icon.

When you start Mailwasher it "looks" in the mailbox of your provider, more or less just Hotmail/Gmail does. When using it the first time all mails it sees, are categorized as "blacklisted" and show in red.

Now comes the fun... 4 of the 5 waiting mails are recognized by YOU (it show a small part in a window) as friend. You change the asterisk from blacklisted to "friend" and all 4 do turn green.

Press "Process mail" and the 4 trusted mails come to you. The fifth one is deleted at the providers server, does not come on your PC.

From now on Mailwasher knows forever that --that checked_ mails can be trusted. So within short time 95 % of your contacts are green/friend.

So, the big difference with a "spam-filter" is that YOU are the filter, with your own brains.
Initially you have to do a little bit, later on, nearly nothing: only with at that moment unknown senders.

Hessel

Mark

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Wed, 19 Oct 2016 21:20
I don't know why this is happening.

Looking at your DNS records, you've got the bare minimum to support email.

To help ensure your emails are never marked as spam, you'll need to set up a PTR record and SPF/DKIM on your DNS records - this is a system where recipient email servers can verify the authenticity of the originating email.
Gmail uses the lack of PTR/SPF/DKIM as a big indicator that the email could be spam.

Edit: useful link - http://www.epinionated.net/stop-email-spam-spf-dkim/

Mark

Hardy -

If you do end up adding the additional DNS records then you can do a check by emailing check-auth@verifier.port25.com with a blank email then it will reply with an automated report after checking your email related DNS records and provide indication of any problems.

Hardy Heinlin

Thank you, Mark!

Hmm ... looks complicated ...

Cheers,

|-|ardy

cavaricooper

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Thu, 20 Oct 2016 13:11

Hmm ... looks complicated ...

Cheers,

|-|ardy

HH-

That is how the rest of us mere mortals spend much of our lives ;)

C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

The time is long gone that simple stuff like SMTP, DNS, and even HTTPS was simple.  The security requirements called out over us because of the proliferation of malicious people and their tools are horrendous. You need professional help very quickly even to set up a mail server. That's a big reason why cloud services fly so well these days.

I have pointed my own mail domain at Gmail to get rid of the endless technical upgrades, and pay the price that they now not only can read my mail but also essentially control it. The alternative is no E-mail.

Hoppie

cagarini

Hardy,

you can get some important info on what is missing in your DNS in order to make it more compliant, and free from black or grey listing.

http://mxtoolbox.com/

http://dnscheck.pingdom.com/

Phil Bunch

FYI, I got the following error message when I submitted aerowinx.com to dnscheck.pingdom.com.  I hope this is helpful.
---------------------------------------------------------

SOA

Delivery over IPv4 to hostmaster@aerowinx.com could not be done.

Failed to deliver email for SOA RNAME of aerowinx.com (hostmaster.aerowinx.com) using hostmaster@aerowinx.com.

DNSCheck failed to deliver email to the email address listed as the one responsible for the zone.

Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

Hardy Heinlin

This is not an error, just a "warning".

cagarini

Simply configuring an SPF record will probably suffice Hardy, and having the reverse zone properly defined too.

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Just as background: email services were unprotected in the past, literally everybody could/can send mail as if coming from info at aerowinx. Or president@whitehouse.gov. A sneaky spam program on a hacked PC and go.

However DNS is unlikely to be as easily hackable as it does not sit on your PC. So a convention was made that for each received mail, the receiver checks if the sender owns the claimed mail domain. Technically very close to a normal DNS name resolution so rather cheap. This requires much more hacking to set up and thus is more secure.

Hoppie

Hardy Heinlin

You mean the absence of this specific "hostmaster@aerowinx.com" address might be the reason for that false spam detection?

|-|ardy

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

That as well.  In principle there are a few "simple" things that a domain owner can do, which are far less simple if you don't own the domain and the associated servers. If you only have a hacked PC or other network device, and want to impersonate, your life is made more difficult with these things.

The DNS records are the most important ones. These can only be added by the DNS owner and most often the DNS sits far, far away in a data center. It is quite possible that the Aerowinx DNS can get these records just by asking, not even by doing. It's something relatively new (just over a decade). These records allow a quick check whether the IP address where the mail comes from actually is part of the domain the mail should come from, and they have an encrypted certificate-like item that is hard to forge and that also gives more assurance that the mail indeed comes from a legitimite source.

The extra mail addresses are administrative ones that any "real professional" mail host has. If you don't have any of these, you may be just a scam and even your so-called sender address may be totally fake. It is fully acceptable to forward all these as aliases directly to your mail box or some other mail box that is read once in a while. Their mere existence (non-bouncing) is one of the indicators of a proper, real mail server.

Hoppie

Hardy Heinlin

Mark

Update: *all* messages received from aerowinx.com end up in my Spam folder.
When I get some time, I'll try and identify the exact DNS record entries you need to fix this once and for all.