News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

World Cup Miracle

Started by Will, Tue, 15 Jun 2010 23:14

Avi

It is England-Germany now on Sunday.
The prize to the winner is, probably, Argentina.
Avi Adin
LLBG

torrence

I agree that for all the miracles from unexpected teams (US, Mexico, Swiss, Algeria, Solvenia etc), we'll probably see some familiar names after the knockout round - Argentina (is this Diego's destiny?), Brazil (ugly but good), Portugal (my, they're nice to watch), Germany (never counted out).  In the meantime I'm basking in the unusual feeling of being an American abroad with a *good* football team and real fans - anyone notice who was top of Group C?  Our gift to the English and German fans  :) .  

But they are taking years off my life too - waiting for stoppage time to win?! (not their fault - they didn't concede an early goal and scored in the second half only to have another goal disallowed!  My take on this is that all teams are gaining parity to the point that many can win or draw a match against the best *on a given day*.  But you still need something extraordinary to do it over and over though the whole Cup.

Cheers,
Torrence
Cheers
Torrence

Shiv Mathur

Germany just put in their second.

I think what sets them apart is their speed.

Avi

Wow, Wow, Wow!!!

What a game.

Talking about speed, 3 out of 4 goals of Germany started near their own goal. The English guys didn't know what was happening to them.

Pity that most talking now about the game will be about the referees. FIFA must enter technology into the game. It is unbearable that on the highest stage, a "blind" referee (and it doesn't important why he didn't see) will have that kind of affect on the game.
I believe that Germany would have won even if it was 2-2 but this is so wrong.
Avi Adin
LLBG

Peter Lang

I'm not sure if we would have had the same result if the referee gave England the 2:2. Even as it was a great match and Germany showed a good performance. this decision leaves a very bitter taste behind.

I think with the referees this time the world cup has more troubles than the world cups before. Also remembering the "handplay" of the Brazilians

Shit happens, but this is too much. They really should allow the replays to be used for fair decisions.

Peter

OKD

i agreed with you Peter...\\

Just like the recently concluded World Cup Hockey at New Delhi, India.  The federation had changed ther rule, where each team during a game, they were allowed to appeal for a replay on video where decisions were made by a video umpire.

However, should a decision went went against the appealling team, then the team would have lost all the appealling rights for the rest of the game.  It had proven to be a successful tournament, where literally there were not controversy with the umpiring issue, including yellow or red cards.
OK....I am ok, if you are ok...!!

James Lacey

Quote from: OKDJames & John...

If you look at England team carefully, actually there is nothing wrong with the backs as they hardly concede any goals,

No, OKD - there is NOTHING wrong with the England backs  :twisted:

Terry had an appalling game (even by his low standards) and Upson was no better. The fact that Terry even gets a game, let alone is one of the first names on the teamsheet, is indicative of the state of the English game. Ferdinand might have helped stem the flow but not by much. Appalling errors by Barry too and as usual, the English midfield went MIA...and when the manager brings on Eeyore, sorry Heskey, when we are chasing the game, you know that things can't get any worse..and why the f*@k does Capello persist with 4-4-2???

Full credit to Germany - they did exactly what they had to do (and then some). Thomas Muller was outstanding. English football died (another) death today and was exposed as slow, unimaginative and technically inept. Will the FA do anything about it? Of course not, as long as we still have the wham,bam, thank you ma'am style of play in the Premier League (stacked with foreign players) and the money rolling in the doors, nothing will change.

OKD

Hi James...

Just in case you have misundertood my previous statement. I made it so before the round of 16 games.  My comment was based on the round-robin games.

Now the biz development ppl or potential investors will probably look at some other comp as they must be thinking to themselves that EPL was supposed to be "the best league" on earth, and yet the Englishmen failed to passed the marks / expectation.

I honestly don't know what Coppello had in his mind. I would have thought that he had learned it the hard way from the round-robin games, and do something drastic for the knock-out stage.  Perhaps he had too much faith on his backs?  I still can't get over that he left out Walcott, and picked Barry.

In terms of your comments about first name on teamsheets, I have been worrying about their depth of goalkeepers, rather than their backs.  I like Jame's competitiveness and ability (as long as he doesn't loose his concentration), but England's No. 1 goalie comes from an almost bankrupt EPL wooden spooner club...that really speaks a lot about the talent in the EPL.

Well, they better start doing something now, as the Euro qualifier starts within months.

Quote from: James Lacey
Quote from: OKDJames & John...

If you look at England team carefully, actually there is nothing wrong with the backs as they hardly concede any goals,

No, OKD - there is NOTHING wrong with the England backs  :twisted:

Terry had an appalling game (even by his low standards) and Upson was no better. The fact that Terry even gets a game, let alone is one of the first names on the teamsheet, is indicative of the state of the English game. Ferdinand might have helped stem the flow but not by much. Appalling errors by Barry too and as usual, the English midfield went MIA...and when the manager brings on Eeyore, sorry Heskey, when we are chasing the game, you know that things can't get any worse..and why the f*@k does Capello persist with 4-4-2???

Full credit to Germany - they did exactly what they had to do (and then some). Thomas Muller was outstanding. English football died (another) death today and was exposed as slow, unimaginative and technically inept. Will the FA do anything about it? Of course not, as long as we still have the wham,bam, thank you ma'am style of play in the Premier League (stacked with foreign players) and the money rolling in the doors, nothing will change.
OK....I am ok, if you are ok...!!

torrence

Quote from: Jeroen HoppenbrouwersI hope the neighbours won't throw things at our living room window now... my wife decided to Make The Statement...

Too bad for Portugal, Jeroen.  Hope your wife won't have too much work redecorating  :) .  I'm still mourning not being able to hold on against Ghana - again.  Good luck to Netherlands.  They've looked very steady so far; Brazil may be surprised.

Cheers,
Torrence
Cheers
Torrence

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Thx. She has already removed the flag and is now preparing noisy activities to perform if when we lose against Brazil.   :twisted:

Shiv Mathur

Quote from: Jeroen HoppenbrouwersShe ... is now preparing noisy activities to perform ...

Oh God ! She's bought a vuvuzela !!

Hardy Heinlin

In the reflections of the window one can see her holding something in her hands. If it wasn't a camera, I would say it's a plastic trumpet.

Will

This Saturday will be my first opportunity to watch uninterrupted games.  I may camp out at my local bar and watch both games.  Jeroen, I'll be pulling for the Netherlands.  Best of luck.
Will /Chicago /USA

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

torrence

We're seeing ORANGE!!  Some mistakes on both sides but in the end the Dutch held firm.  Watching Ruud Gullit go crazy on ESPN coverage in the US.

Cheers,
Torrence
Cheers
Torrence

Hardy Heinlin

Saturday 1200z Forecast
Argentina-Germany  1 - 3
Paraguay-Spain 9 - 8 (penalty shootout)

Tuesday
Netherlands-Uruguay 2 - 1

Wednesday
Paraguay-Germany  0 - 2

Saturday
Paraguay-Uruguay 1 - 2

Sunday
Netherlands-Germany 2 - 4

|-|

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Quote from: Hardy HeinlinSunday
Netherlands-Germany 2 - 4
Formal game time 88 minutes: 2 - 2
Formal game time 89 minutes: 2 - 3
Formal game time 90 minutes: 2 - 4

More realism   :)

Will

Off to go watch the Germany-Argentina rematch.  I'm excited! Let's hope it's more civil than 2006.
Will /Chicago /USA

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Uh. Germany is supposed to win in the last minute. Not in the first!

Will

Argentina is following the lead of the USA in allowing that early goal.
Will /Chicago /USA