News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PSX.NET P3D ExternalSim

Started by Mark, Fri, 17 Jun 2016 14:05

Captain_al

Thank you jcomm

Now when I start P3D, I end up in the water, I think I saw some posts on that as I was looking through, I will will check out these videos first...

Thank you both for the help...

Captain_al

Oh, I understand now jcomm, you are simply overlaying the p3d window wherever you want to provide scenery. I was thinking somehow it replaced the PSX visual segment, Now I need to figure out why I am ending up in the water...

Captain_al

OK, I did get it to work, I had a couple of Router windows open, when I closed them it worked.

Next question, is there a way to keep the P3D always on top so it doesn't disappear when you make a selection on PSX?

Also, the visual scenery is flickering quite a bit. I have a fast computer with lots of RAM, but my graphics card is GTX 740 TI, not the greatest for year 2020. When I use P3D alone. there is no flickering of the window.

beat578

Hi Captain Al

The flickering could be corrected with this trick i guess:
Quote from: Chris Kilroy on Sat, 29 Feb 2020 21:03
Quote from: matchball on Sat, 29 Feb 2020 19:58I am having a weird problem: Occasionally the plane would just freeze with all movement apart from latitude coordinates and altitude (at least seems like it). The plane wont bank or pitch. I have firewall completely off. Any suggestions?

Try changing the Frame Rate Limiter in the Preferences page of the PSX server from 73 to 60/2. That has completely solved this problem on my setup.

mabe it also solves the problem with ending in the middle of an ocean. For the window: You could use two inscantces of PSX and arrange them them around your P3D windowed screen. I use a separate display for the visuals, that would be the most comfortable way.

JohnH

Quote from: Captain_al on Tue, 12 May 2020 01:18
OK, I did get it to work, I had a couple of Router windows open, when I closed them it worked.

Next question, is there a way to keep the P3D always on top so it doesn't disappear when you make a selection on PSX?

Also, the visual scenery is flickering quite a bit. I have a fast computer with lots of RAM, but my graphics card is GTX 740 TI, not the greatest for year 2020. When I use P3D alone. there is no flickering of the window.

You can run P3D in windows mode and resize the display to only occupy the top half of the screen. Then do the same with PSX on the lower half. Don't overlap the screens.

John

cagarini

Sorry al,

both JohnH and beat578 already offered good answers while I was asleep on this side of the pond :-)

One thing I noticed when reading one of your posts is that you wrote: "I had a couple of Router windows open, when I closed them it worked". Beware that in order for ExternalSim to work you have to keep the router running, not a couple but one router session.You can minimize it's LOG window, or it'll simply be overlapped by the PSX and P3D windows.

Very few times I used Aerowinx with FSX or P3D, first with PS1, the 1997 version, then with PSX.

I was more satisfied back then in the Aerowinx PS1 era because the native outside view was so small that I really had problems, and in those days my close vision wasn't so bad, seeing "through" it .. PSX brought windows / Layouts that one can easily adapt, with 9 panes per Layout which you alternate through using the NUMPAD digit keys or some buttons in your controller(s). A good Tutorial --> here <--.

Having multiple screens also helps and PSX can stretch across multiple monitors. I also used another sim - ELITE IFR XTS - with P3D, but in that case we have to use at least two screens, one for an external view of P3D maximized in one screen, and the other for ELITE.

With PSX I used what John suggested above. In one of the panes of a Layout, I reduce the size of the PSX window to half screen height, and do teh same to to P3d running in window mode. I then place the P3D window over the PSX, and in the PSX window I leave only the basic instruments.

I used Always-On-Top to make the PSX window persistent, Borderless Gaming Window to get rid of the P3D window borders, and also made sure I disabled the option to pause P3D when it is not the "focused" application ( one of the General options in P3D ). I also disable all keys and buttons / axis that might conflict between both sims, so that when I use those keys in PSX they don't start unwanted effects in P3D, as well as the sounds in P3D because I prefer PSX sounds :-)
This is what I also did with X-Plane 10 and 11, which is another sim you can use with PSX for the visuals, using XView. there are a few threads about it in this forum.

There was another application - VisualPSX - that could inject PSX weather into FSX/P3D. ExternalSim doesn't do it, so, your only option is to use a weather injector for P3D :-/

Well, honestly I usually end up getting back to PSX standalone, or, at most, use yet another application that can give you a "Map view" ( 2d ) of the Bing / Google World, preferably on a 2nd monitor. It's latest encarnation is called PSX_Wheramium.

PSX_Wheramium is very useful for maneuvering while at the airport, from gate to takeoff and the way around.

The suggestion regarding the use of 60/2 in the refresh rates of PSX is also a very useful one, and it worked beautifully last time I used PSX with P3d ( v5 ) for 2 long days :-)

PSX is like a very Sexy Woman you can talk to on the phone, read her mind ( as far as she let's you ... ). I say this because I do not have a smartphone, but those in modern days with their smartphones can ask her to show them where she's going through, problem is, she uses a very odd cell phone provider and image get's distorted, out-of-sync sometimes, and you actually revert back to simply talking to her :-)

EDIT: al, you mentioned you had a Windows and a Mac, and apparently your Windows rig is powerful enough to run P3D decently, so, why not trying to run PSX on the Mac, and P3D in the Windows box, and then use the networking capabilities of ExternalSim ? That would leave the CPU / GPU stress in the Windows box solely for P3D and ancillary apps.

Captain_al

Thank you John, beat578, and jcomm:

I found the flickering only happens when I have one of my 9 layouts stretched across 4 screens, when I use a single screen, there is no flickering of the P3D scenery. I will change the frame rate and see what that does with the layout stretched across 4 monitors.

I will also try using 1 screen for the visual and one for the PSX. I was going to ask if you can use the mac and pc together, so let's say I use the mac for PSX and the PC for the visual, then the visual is on the PC, correct, there is no way to display it on the mac. I may be asking a dumb question, but I am not as literate on the computer side of things as many on the PSX forum are when I read through comments.

I guess the router does not shut down when you quit the PSX application, that is why I had 3 of them in the bottom task bar and when I closed them all and then re-initiated the sequence, it worked properly. Thanks for all your help, I will chime in if I can't figure something out going forward.

JohnH

It will not work on a Mac/PC combo, from page 1

System requirements:
-Windows 7/8/10
- .NET 4.5.1
- P3D 3.3.5 or higher
- PSX 10.0.8 or higher

So you have 4 monitors hooked up to one PC?

What I do is run PSX on an iMac with Windows 10 installed using bootcamp, and P3Dv5 on a PC, would that be possible??

John

cagarini

Quote from: JohnH on Tue, 12 May 2020 19:13
It will not work on a Mac/PC combo, from page 1

John

John, I thought that only applied to teh PC running P3D ?

Can't PSX run on a networked Mac ? Does the .NET also have to be installed on the PC running PSX standalone ?

JohnH

I tried it myself with PSX on the iMac and P3D on the PS (win 10) and could never get it to connect. I might have done something wrong, but I spent hours trying to figure it out and it never worked. PSX on Imac with win 10 (bootcamp) and P3D on PC works very nice. Also with PSX on straight Imac you don't get BACARS or SimFest dispatch which I use every flight.

J

kwieser76

HI,

I have the same setup
IMAC : PSX
PC: PSX, P3D, BACARS, and all other tools for my CDU and MCP (from flightdecksolution)

most important was that both are connected via LAN and has a fix IP ... in WLAN the setup was not working ( still don't why).

PSX on PC is my server what just runs in the background. As i nee it for BACARS and my joysticks.
PS on IMAC  runs as client and is used for all inputs

The only what is not working in PSX is the traffic from vpilot. The only tool for me is WidePSX.
So for any reason the combination PSX.NET P3D ExternalSim and vpilot plugin is not working on my setup :-(

regards
Product Owner Lido/Flight ASC
Lufthansa Systems (LIDO)

Captain_al

QuoteI used Always-On-Top to make the PSX window persistent, Borderless Gaming Window to get rid of the P3D window borders, and also made sure I disabled the option to pause P3D when it is not the "focused" application ( one of the General options in P3D )

Hey jcomm

Where do you find these?

I have PSX in 1 window and on the monitor above I have P3D, both in separate windows, not overlapping. When I go to set something on PSX, like set speed, the P3D pauses. I think what you say above would solve that, but I can't find it in General P3D settings?

Also, when I use the scenery generator, and then go back to P3D, my PMDG models are all dead when I restart the P3D app. I have to log out, bring one of the default aircraft of P3D back, like the fighter jet or Cub, then reload PMDG aircraft, and everything is alive again. Any idea why it does that?

Captain_al

jcomm:

As soon as I ask the question, I find it, I found the PAUSE ON TASK feature, so ignore that part of my question.

I also found the Instructor Frame always on Top in PSX,

I am not finding the Borderless Gaming Window,

Thank you

cagarini

Captain_al,

I don't have P3D installed now, but since you already found the "pause on task switch" disable solution, I will try to give some hints regarding the rest:

.) "I have PSX in 1 window and on the monitor above I have P3D, both in separate windows, not overlapping." - then you don't really need Always On Top, and regarding the "Borderless Gamming Window" since you have a monitor fully dedicated to P3D, I believe you can just check the "Full Screen" mode in one of the menus in P3D - I don't recall exactly which :-/

There are also these notes at the P3D forum:

To select a display resolution
On the Display Settings Graphics tab, select a setting from the Full screen resolution list.
Click OK.
Full Screen Exclusive, when unchecked, will have application style windows but also allows you to access the desktop as if still in windowed mode.

Full Screen Auto-fill will have the main view automatically fill all monitors as it spans.

You could try those.

And there's ALT-ENTER ( I believe that's the combo ) to alternate between windowed and emulated full screen in P3D.

Just found that Borderless Gamming Window, which I quit using since years now has a payware version, at least on Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/388080/Borderless_Gaming/

or... you could try this one, although I don't know if the source is OK:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/borderless-gaming.mirror/

.) Regarding the problems loading PMDG aircraft when running P3D standalone, make sure you really killed the ExternalSIm Router app and it isn't just minimized in your takbar. OTOH, I assume you never tried to "externalsimmarize" any of the PMDG models, using the ExternalSim configuration app, because that would make changes to the PMDG aircraft.cfg and that's unwanted I guess. Only use the dedicated 747-400 model with ExternalSim.

I think you should always start from fresh a P3D session after having used P3D with PSX. I would go a bit further, and if you're not at ease going into the Windows Process Monitor and killing any "zombie" processes that might still be there interfering with P3D, your best option is a Windows restart - that way you're sure you properly killed any unwanted processes. It's brute force, but works :-)

Yet another cause for the weird effects when starting P3D standalone and loading another ( PMDG ) airplane might have to do with the creation of a default startup situation in P3D ( the starred situation ) involving the ExternalSim 744. That way whenever P3D starts, it'll pick that situation and load the ExternalSim module(s) that  start with P3D, and when you then choose another aircraft the "environment is already contaminated" by those modules ...

Captain_al

Thanks jcomm,

I have it pretty much runnin now with PSX on a bottom screen, and PMDG External Sim on the upper screen and took a flight from SEA-ANC and it worked really good. I still need to understand the weather feature and communications features in PSX.

Send me an email at info@subsonicflighttraining.com

Do you fly the PMDG 747-8, 787, or 777 at all?

I want to send you something...

siliconbase

Hi,

When I place the aircraft on LTBA runway 05 start, PSX shows the aircraft on the right place but P3D shows the plane away from the runway. Is there a way to put the plane on the same place on P3D too?

Thanks,

Aonang

I am having big problems getting this to work. I have been trying for almost three full days now and it is still not working.
I am operating on one computer running W7 64 bit Pro with P3Dv4.5 and have installed PSX.NET P3D4 on the same machine as directed by the installation manual.
I did have something working very briefly at the start but the P3D aircraft appeared to have only the starboard main gear deployed when on the ground, all others were retracted. In the air only the left side gear would retract.
I have uninstalled PSX.NET numerous times and tried in vain to reinstalled it to my prefered "Program Files" folder but it appears that it is not possible to install anywhere other than the "Program Files (86) folder irrespective of the choices that I have made. I wonder why I am given the option to choose when the installer will not allow me to.
I initially tried using my iFly aircraft in P3D and it took me a long time to realise that adjustments were being made to the aircraft config file. Once I realised this I decided to make a seperate folder in simobjects which I called iFly PSX and put just one aircraft texture folder and its single entry in the aircraft config file but that did not solve the problems.
I have also tried using a POSKYv4 aircraft but I get exactly the same results.
The Router box is suggesting that PSX is not connected to P3D but it did show a connection  on just one brief occassion. I have not been able to establish a connection again. I have tried switching Windows Firewall off but, again, to no avail. I have also listed the PSX.NET folder in the 'exclude files and locations' list in Microsoft Security Essentials.
I would like to cut and paste the router data but I am not able to copy it nor am I able to find a log file.
Is somebody able to help me? if so please use layman's language as a lot of the technical stuff that has been posted here has gone over my head.
Thanks

Mike

Aonang

HELP!
Would somebody please respond to my post?

Mike

Aonang

Thanks to Jeorg this problem is now solved.

It required an addition to the add-ons.cfg file and a few lines to the simconnect.xml file.
Jeorg's post is on page 38 of the PSX.NET P3D ExternalSim topic.
Thanks again Jeorg.

Mike

Link to Joerg's post: http://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=6125.msg66573#msg66573

Aonang

I have this working very nicely now!  ;D
Thanks to everybody who has contributed to this topic with problems and solutions but thanks and a very big WELL DONE is very much due to both Gary and Mark for an excellent add-on - THANK YOU both very much.
Thanks again to Gary for the liveries, the BOAC one, which I am using now on a flight (my first with everything hooked up and running) from VTBS to OBBI, is the icing on the cake.

Mike