News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PSX.NET P3D ExternalSim

Started by Mark, Fri, 17 Jun 2016 14:05

JohnH

Quote from: Derek Adam on Thu, 16 Mar 2017 20:00
Carl,

Downloaded the latest P3D with no joy.  You say there should be two files in C:\users\Public\Public Documents.  One is PSX.Net.P3D.Externalsim.xml.

What is the second?

Also where should simconnect.xml reside?

Thanks

Derek

Hi Derek,

sorry to hear you are having problems, please try the following steps

you can re-install simconnect from the folder

Prepar3D\redist\interface\fsx-sp2-xpack\retail\lib

just double-click SimConnect.msi

simconnect.xml is in the folder

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\SimConnect.xml

this is how I have it setup when using 2 computers

try this,,

download the latest version of PSX.NET.P3D.ExternalSim to your PSX computer

as P3D doesn't come with a 747
download one provided by Gary Oliver at
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dr0ubmcb2qvs8z6/PSX_747.zip?dl=0

place the PSX_747 in your P3D\SimObjects\Airplanes folder

move the file PSX.NET.P3D.ExternalSim.dll
to your P3D computer
C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\SimObjects\Airplanes\PSX_747\
replacing the existing   PSX.NET.P3D.ExternalSim.dll

open the aircraft.cfg file with notepad and add the following lines under 'title='

ExternalSimID = {3E6B47E7-C706-4A10-BC88-6E7C199ED5A6}
ExternalSimData = 0
ExternalSimModule = PSX.NET.P3D.ExternalSim.dll

further down change the line

Category=airplane
to
Category=externalsim

move the file PSX.NET.P3D.ExternalSim.xml 
to your P3D computer
C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\

open the file with notepad and edit the IP address to your PSX computer IP address

move the file PSX.NET.P3D.ExternalSim.Router.xml 
to your PSX computer
C:\Users\Public\Public  Documents\

Edit, if you are just using 1 computer the file  PSX.NET.P3D.ExternalSim.Router.xml goes in
C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\  that is why you would have 2 files in that folder

open the file with notepad and edit the IP address to your PSX computer IP address

start PSX, load a situation file of your choice, enable network Boost server on the Instructor page, Network

start P3D switch to the PSX_747

double click on PSX.NET.P3D.ExternalSim.Router.exe

John

J D ADAM

Thank You for your suggestions Carl and John,

Quoteyou can re-install simconnect from the folder

Prepar3D\redist\interface\fsx-sp2-xpack\retail\lib

just double-click SimConnect.msi

simconnect.xml is in the folder

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\SimConnect.xml

Since doing the above P3D on startup says  "can't initiate sim connect error" and then loads normally.

I have tried to follow your very fine instructions John both by letter and word (I think) but no joy.

Externalsim loads and I get increasing numbers from PSX but no feedback from P3D.

Will plug along tomorrow but today is a lovely day for golf so will get rid of my frustrations on a golf ball! 

I will keep in touch

Cheers

Derek

cavaricooper

Derek-

Unfortunately, I'm my case, my golf game is just a good walk spoiled ;)

That was EXACTLY my problem....

"Since doing the above P3D on startup says  "can't initiate sim connect error" and then loads normally.

I have tried to follow your very fine instructions John both by letter and word (I think) but no joy.

Externalsim loads and I get increasing numbers from PSX but no feedback from P3D."

Are you SURE you are using the latest P3D version??

C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

J D ADAM

Hi Carl,
           I re downloaded P3D and re installed .

My Prepar3D  version is 3.4.9.18400 and simconnect version 3.4.0.0.

I have solved the "can't initiate sim connect error"by "fiddling"!

Still no joy.

Cheers

Derek

JohnH

I would try and re-run the firewall app that Mark provided (page 15), make sure you run it on both computer.

John

J D ADAM

Hi    Yes always run the firewall app on both computers, so back to the drawing board.

Cheers

Derek

Tigh

There are many SimConnect versions. I would recommend downloading the P3D SDK and installing all the relevant versions in there on both machines.

I have:-

Regards,
Dan

Simfest Drink Coordinator.

J D ADAM

Hi Tigh

Thank you for your advice  (also others)   I am still struggling to get things working and now have the warning again in P3D  that "simconnect.xml failed to init"    Would somebody be kind enough to copy and paste their working simconnect xml for P3D into a reply and I can get rid of that problem first.

Thank you

Derek

JohnH

I believe you are using PSXseeconTraffic, if you go to that folder you will find an example of a simconnect.xml file you can use, you may need to edit the IP address.

Britjet

Hi Mark,

I've just finished a very pleasant short trip using PSX.NET P3D ExternalSim with my 3-screen projector setup, which I haven't used for a while being busy with other things - your recent updates have made things beautifully smooth, including turns on the ground, and impressive frame rates..
Just to say thanks once again for such a marvellous add-on to PSX!

Peter.

Greg Hateley

Hi Mark,
Thank you for PSX.NET P3D ExternalSim.
I have been using 1.8 for quite a while (love it) and am in the process of upgrading to 2.3.0
Just a tip others upgrading is to reboot your computers after making changes to the xml flies and changing the dll files. I found that p3d did not like a version change being changed on the fly without a reboot.

On a 3 projector system, can you explain the xml settings for the side views, as i guess these are not primary and do not have a feedback IP set. Should it be *? I have tried * and an getting P3D crash with error NetMQ.netMQexception was thrown. I noticed I was also getting this error on the other computers when the xml setting were not set correctly.

Best Regards
Greg

Ivo de Colfmaker

Hi, 
A little clip to see how smooth it runs now, thanks to Mark, what a joy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv6XhT16sVA
A day at this forum is a day learned!

Mark

Quote from: Greg Hateley on Sun, 26 Mar 2017 10:39
On a 3 projector system, can you explain the xml settings for the side views, as i guess these are not primary and do not have a feedback IP set. Should it be *? I have tried * and an getting P3D crash with error NetMQ.netMQexception was thrown. I noticed I was also getting this error on the other computers when the xml setting were not set correctly.

All 3 instances should have an identical XML file, no need for '*' or empty settings.
(The default XML file in the zip, with the IP addresses changed, is fine.)
The router now receives feedback data from all instances. It'll automatically pick one as the primary instance (they should all report the same ground elevation anyway). There is the option in the router XML to force which one is primary but I've not found this to be necessary.

Mark

Quote from: Ivo de Colfmaker on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 21:03
A little clip to see how smooth it runs now, thanks to Mark, what a joy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv6XhT16sVA

Great video! I like your 2 large screens, and the (presumably) touchscreen between the 2 seats.

GodAtum

Hi, in v 2.1.0 the parking brake synced in P3D. But v 2.30 it now does not. The parking brake model is counting up.

J D ADAM

Hi All,
        After three weeks of trying to get P3D and PSX to communicate  and after trying all the suggestions made to me
and nearly stuffing my computer completely, I have finally and reluctantly decided to revert to visual PSX.

I am absolutely convinced that the problem has been created by me and not as a result of the program which many happy simmers have installed correctly.

Thank you all for all your suggestion over the past 3 weeks, it has been very much appreciated.

Cheers

Derek

cavaricooper

Derek-

Perhaps once normalized, and after a few weeks go by, try again. The performance difference is tangible... I went back during my angst, and wouldn't want to again....if you like... bin all your files and I will send you copies of what works at my end.....

Best- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Chris Kilroy

Updated from ExternalSim 1.8 to 2.3 in my sim this afternoon with no issues at all. Thanks again, Mark!

J D ADAM

Thank you for your kind offer C.  I think at the moment I will stick with what I know and works for me.

Cheers

Derek

Britjet

Hi Mark,
I was idly wondering if there I might be a fix for the continuous reloading on P3D when AI traffic is selected on?
Peter