News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Another new home cockpit : Project-J

Started by junkun459, Fri, 29 Apr 2016 14:51

junkun459

Hi Hardy and all 747-400 enthusiasts

I made hand-made 747-400 cockpit about over 10 years ago.
PS3 was my bible.

And now I'm building a new cockpit by using real 747-400 parts as many as I can get.  Of course my cockpit  is exclusively designed for PSX.
My new cockpit is still under construction, but now I can fly from takeoff to landing.

I installed auto throttle lever, auto speed brake lever, auto parking brake lever, solenoid for auto brake knob, solenoid  for landing gear lever, auto pilot (moving elevator, moving aileron during AP).. 

Please have a look at my cockpit. there are also some movies.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=15A178E68D782717!3468&authkey=!AJ9BRuXfC6en4Yo&ithint=folder%2cJPG

I made up all by myself, but I got many help from many friends around the world.
Thanks.
First of all, PSX is really great art for cockpit builders.
I name my project as "Project J" because of name for Jumbo, my name and my country.

Jun from Japan

p.s.
this is my old cockpit
http://www.projectj.jp/mycockpit-e.html

Avi

Hi,

Very cool.

Can you do me a favor? Can you install my CMC-PSX and take a video of the TO/GA Ground test?

To do it select CMC-PSX in the CDU menu page, select "GROUND TESTS" (LSK 4L) in the main menu page 1/2, "<22 AUTOPILOT FLT DIR" option (LSK 4L at page 1/6), and "<GO AROUND SWITCH" test (LSK 4L at page 2/4).

Follow the preconditions pages (mainly it tells you to ARM the A/T system and to be aware the throttles will move during the test) and start the test. After starting the test simply press the TO/GA switch(es). You can do it more than once.
It should be interesting (at least for me) to watch.

Does your AFDS panel work? If yes, you may also want to run the "MODE CONT PANEL" test (also LSK 4L but at page 1/4 in the AutoPilot Flt Dir option).

Thanks,
Avi Adin
LLBG

Hardy Heinlin

Hi Jun,

your cockpit looks fantastic!

Congratulations!

Are you using original CDUs? I see your CDUs have curved CRT screens. (Interestingly, it looks like there is a 767 or 737 FMC connected to the CDUs with a special arrival/approach ref page?)

Regards,

|-|ardy

Will

Jun, your cockpit looks fantastic! How popular is simulated flight in Japan?
Will /Chicago /USA

John H Watson

B747-400

Hi Jun,

congratulations! Great work!

Hmm, some of your pictures reminds me of my TQ  ;)

How do you communicate with PSX? Are you using SimStack as well?

Looking forward seeing your progress ...!

Cheers Hans

junkun459

Hi hardy and all
Thank you for your reply.

Avi
Thank you for your suggestion.  Unfortunately I didn't know your CMC-PSX, but it looks very interesting!  I'll start studying your manual first.  Then I'm sure I'll try it.

Hi Hardy
>Are you using original CDUs? I see your CDUs have curved CRT screens. (Interestingly, it looks like there is a 767 or 737 FMC connected to the CDUs with a special arrival/approach ref page?)

Each CDU on left and right side might had been used on real simulator (may be for 747-400).  It was lucky for me that this CDU worked by 100V AC input, and the CRT (really cathode ray tube) accepted 800x600 VGA input from PC.  Now the CDU plate on center pedestal is from 767 or 737 just for adding atmosphere...

Will
  Flight simulation is not so common hobby in Japan, beause it is very difficult to have licence for personal pilot.  But there are very deep enthusiasts for airline simulation. 

John
Thank you very much for your Japanese applause!

Hi my friend Hans
>Hmm, some of your pictures reminds me of my TQ  ;)

Yes, I stole your idea for linkage system of real TQ!!  ;D  Thank you.

I wrote C# program bymyself.  So, first I studied TCP/IP programming from the beginning.
The interface is combination of Phidgets and Pokeys.  Phidgets was easy way to control stepping motor, DC motor and servo motor, and Pokeys have very many ports which can easily be assigned for whichever of in/out/analog in.

Now I'm using 747MCP made by CP-flight.  This MCP is really great product for PSX.  It works perfect, but someday I'm going to replace it to real MCP panel by using SimStack.  I may use Simstack for overhead panels, because, Simstack needs no apllication software to drive it.

And one more, rado panels are made by FDS.  It is really great product.

best regards to all

Jun

GodAtum

Amazing. You you planning to release the software you wrote for your throttles?

As you might know, I'm also building a 747. It would be very helpful if you could provide the measurements between the yoke and bottom of the MIP, and the distance between the yokes :)

the mad hatter

Rather cool "real" parts in place.... pleased to see they went to a good home  have you started with the overhead and how you going to mount it .. that's going to be fun project for sure...If I recall correctly you have the MCP from here :-)  those buttons and switches on it are real  I thought you were going to gut it keep the switchology and reprogram the MCP or did that turn into a nightmare ?

Have you made contact with Phil in the UK for panels? he has a very simple ARINIC for ACP and RCP that works with real ACPs and RCP as well as amountain of other stuff which will be more cost competitive than simulated  check out his facebook of he does outstanding work his contact details are :

phil@simvionics.co.uk  if he fails to answer that one try this one phil744@hotmail.co.uk

When do you think you will have the three standbys operational I sent you all the pin-outs I think? or are you missing one ? good thing they are real instruments already converted for simulation :-) makes life easier for you I went with an independent ISFD in that slot

happy building

PS I mailed you a question :-)

B747-400

Hi Jun,

yes SimStack is a great product! I use it for MIP and TQ. Later for the rest of the Sim!

And: don't call it stolen  ;) .. I'm glad that my pics were helpful. You did a great Job!

Cheers
Hans

junkun459

Hi all

Hi GodAtum
Thank you for your reply.
I can't publish my program because I am a novice for programming and it remains many BUGs  ;)
There is a good information about measurements which was introduce on old Aerwinx forum.
  http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=95

Hi Mad form TX !!
I knew who you are!
Your MCP is very easy to modify because it was designed for real simulator.  I'm going to wire it soon, but there remains many things to do ..
I have not started overhead panel... but I have all panels now. It might be exciting to mount them though I'm wondering how to set overhead panel frame so tightly and realistic.
the standby gauges you sent are very fantastic.  Unfortunately I received no data for altimeter..
I mail you later.

Happy flying

Jun

the mad hatter

data sent   to set that frame I will send you a drawing will make it easy as in monkey see monkey do ( hope that translates :-)
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=monkey+see+monkey+do

b744erf

Quote from: junkun459 on Fri, 29 Apr 2016 14:51

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=15A178E68D782717!3468&authkey=!AJ9BRuXfC6en4Yo&ithint=folder%2cJPG

http://www.projectj.jp/mycockpit-e.html

Hello Jun
Very nice to see your update these couple weeks. It looks terrific with the finished overhead and outer construction! Honestly, I check your onedrive almost every week.
I am building mine too. And I have to say I made a lot reference from you. What I really need help is about the Auto THrottle interfacing and overhead wiring, also some of the measurement since you are using the real stuff.

If any chance that I can have your email to have further connection, it will be wonderful.
Jack from Guangzhou China.

Thia is my email: B744ERF@163.com
I want send you some photos too. :p

junkun459

Hi Jack
I found your last message today.  Sorry for delayed reply.

Thank you for your comment on this site and personal mail to me. 
Are you checking me every week? 
Your interest gives me big power.
Yes, recently I almost finished wiring overhead panels and constructing whole framing.

I used SimStack for interfacing all OEM overhead panels.  SimStack can interface OEM bulbs without additional circuit.
I used Phidgets and Pokeys to interface TQ and control columns.  I managed to write C# program for them including auto throttle, auto spoiler, auto brake, moving yokes during AP.  But my program is too poor to publish.   

Your cockpit is also very great, and your 3D printing parts are very fantastic.
Please keep contact with me.

thanks
Jun

junkun459

Hi All

I upgraded my cockpit day by day, and now I can sit in whole cockpit.
I took a video of my cockpit "Project J real".

https://youtu.be/wZMlkKKsIb8

This is a night flight from RJBB to RJOO.
Please view the mechanical movement of auto throttle, autopilot, spoiler etc. in the video.
You can also see linked Navigraph moving chars.

Combination of PSX + ExternalSim + P3D is really great for cockpit builders.

Thank you Hardy,
thank you Mark

And this is some photo of my cockpit.

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21Aov_IVVpoR-KHcw&id=15A178E68D782717%213468&cid=15A178E68D782717

Thank you

Jun

Hardy Heinlin

Beautiful! :-)

Congratulations, Jun.

|-|ardy

emerydc8

Bastien

Hi Jun,

It's an amazing setup ! really!!
I often dream about a cockpit like this ..... but it's not for now

Enjoy your setup ;)
Bastien.

junkun459

Hi hardy, Jon, Bastien

Thank you for your visit !!

Jun from Japan

B747-400

Hi Jun,

thanks for your update / pictures! Great work!!
Have fun flying your sim!

Cheers
Hans