News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

[Solved] Issue installing PSX in Linux Mint

Started by vatin, Thu, 25 Feb 2016 14:06

vatin

Hi.

Linux Mint 17.3 with Sun's Java installed.
When tried to run PSX installer and choose the installation path, I received this warning in the dialogue box.

java.io.FildNotFoundException: Aerowinx Operations Manual.pdf (No such file or directory) :

Suggestion?
I have to copy the installation file from the DVD to my local harddisk in order to mark the installer.jar as executable.

Thank you

It is now Nov 2019
I've built a new PC with Nvidea GPU
On Linux Mint 19.2. I marked the PSX installer file as executable and ran the installer with command

#java -jar installer.jar.

The install went perfectly. After that I promptly launched the simulator with

#java -jar AerowinxStart.jar

The sim loaded perfectly and ran at an excellent 60 FPS.

Hardy Heinlin

Hi,

something in your operations system seems to be incompatible with the installation program. Have you installed PSX on another system successfully?

Perhaps this is of some help:

http://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=2028.msg19929#msg19929

Regards,

|-|ardy

vatin

Hi Hardy. Yes, I was able to run PSX on Windows 8.1 and 10 on this same PC before switching to Linux.

vatin

FYI I'm able to successfully install and run Minecraft which is a Java game. I really don't want to go back to Windows.

Hardy Heinlin

Hi,

suggestion:

1. Make a folder on your Linux desktop called "psxDVD".

2. Open the DVD and copy these 3 files to "psxDVD":

"Aerowinx Operations Manual.pdf"
"Installer.jar"
"z"

3. Go to "psxDVD" and start Installer.jar in "psxDVD".

Regards,

|-|ardy

QuoteI have to copy the installation file from the DVD to my local harddisk in order to mark the installer.jar as executable.

Do I understand this correctly? You tried this already? But you copied the Installer.jar only? No wonder it didn't find the files :-) The installer can load just the files that are in the installer's folder.

vatin

Thanks for the suggestion.

QuoteDo I understand this correctly? You tried this already? But you copied the Installer.jar only? No wonder it didn't find the files :-)

No, you understand this wrongly. What I did was I copied the entire DVD content to a folder on my computer. I did not copied only the Insteller.jar, but everything from the DVD root folder.

vatin

I finally did it!!  What I did was execute the installer via the command line java - jar Installer.jar which soon launched the installation till completed and after I'm able to start the sim perfectly...................BUT the sim ran at a pitiful 7 or 8 FPS..... 

Hardy Heinlin

Maybe this Linux Java version doesn't perform anti-alias so well. To increase the performance, you may try disabling the WXR/TERRAIN anti-alias option on Instructor > Preferences > Basics.

(This also affects later versions of the Mac's Java, that's why this option is disabled for Mac's Java by default. WXR/TERRAIN anti-alias is not important as on the real ND the WXR/TERRAIN rasters are pretty pixelated too.)

|-|ardy

vatin

Switched back to Windows 10 and everything just works.   :-)

Swiso

I am unable to complete the install from the DVD ( java.io.FildNotFoundException: Aerowinx Operations Manual.pdf (No such file or directory).
So , I copied all the files and directory from the DVD to a newly created folder, then copied the manual pdf file.
Even copying the Installer.jar there and run it, it stop at the same error.

A question..it is necessary to run Installer.jar or If I have all the files copied to the destination folder it will work too ?
BTW, I tried with both Oracle Java jre1.8.0_91 and OpenJDK Java 7 with the commands listed but no success...nothing happen.
Any suggestion ?
Thanks
:'(

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: Swiso on Wed,  4 May 2016 16:09
If I have all the files copied to the destination folder it will work too ?

It should. Copy the "z" folder from the DVD to your harddisk, then, in the "z" folder on your harddisk, click AerowinxStart.jar.

If you have installed PSX on another Windows or Mac computer and it works there, you can also copy that Aerowinx folder to your Linux computer through your network. This way you need not update all the stuff.

Swiso

Hello Hardy,

thanks for the suggestion but it didn't worked....

I tried to copy the folder of PSX on the Win7 drive to the Linux desktop (I have a dual-boot -W7 and Linux Mint 17.3-on two different drives), but I received some errors, BUT, a guy on another forum suggested to run this command in java and it worked :  strace -e open java -jar Installer.jar
After running that command I saw the install windows, and after choosing the folder where to install it, I clicked START and worked.
Now I wait to see what he suggest to make AerowinxStart.jar run, because with the command "java - jar AerowinxStart.jar" nothing happen...
Here in this link is the discussion I am having with this guy, named uglyDwarf (Michal), I post it because I think it might be useful to other users who are having similar problems :

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/72985-relocating-the-xplane-folder-to-separate-drive/

BTW on Windows 7 it work like a charm.

Swiso

turbodiddley

I have Linux Mint 19.1, and have installed Java, 1.8.0 .  I cannot get the program installed.

On this same computer, PSX worked fine when I had the Windows OS.

Any body have a solution in 2019?

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

What are the symptoms? What exactly fails, when, and what does it say?

Hoppie

turbodiddley

I have installed Java on Linux Mint, and have verified it is installed by typing the command line:
"Java - Version"
Which yields:
"Java version 1.8.0_181"

When I click on the Installer .jar file on the dvd, I do not see the icon for Java (coffee cup).
I have tried copying everything to the desktop and and making a psxDVD folder, and that did nothing.

I have tried typing install from the command line via this:
"java -jar /media/kurt/AEROWINX/Installer.jar"
which yields:
"command 'java-' not found try sudo apt install <deb name>

turbodiddley

I have gotten a bit further, but still no success.

I used the instructions at this link to install Oracle Java 11, as well as the instruction to make it the default Java option.
each
https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/10/how-to-install-oracle-java-11-in-ubuntu.html

I then double clicked on the installer on the PSX dvd, and it only installed an Aerowinx folder on the desktop, containing 13 folders (Audio, Developers, Layouts, etc) with zero content, and a shell for the PSX manual, containing no data. I can see the real Oracle Java coffee cup icon open on the taskbar, and it opens the installer page just fine, but no results.

I followed Hardy's suggestion to copy the dvd to the desktop and run installer from within that folder, and same result occured.

Hardy Heinlin

If the installer can be started, one can at least say that Java is installed.

You may ignore the installer and manually copy the DVD files to your hard disk. You did this already.

Rename the "z" folder on your hard disk to "Aerowinx".

If your manual copy action kept the DVD typical write protection on all copied files,
you need to change them to "read & write".

Then, to start PSX, go into the Aerowinx folder on your hard disk and double-click AerowinxStart.jar.

|-|ardy

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Quote from: turbodiddley on Tue, 29 Jan 2019 01:14
I have tried typing install from the command line via this:
"java -jar /media/kurt/AEROWINX/Installer.jar"
which yields:
"command 'java-' not found try sudo apt install <deb name>

Be very careful exactly where you place the hyphens "-" when typing commands. Typically it is:

command -s -t --something --else filename filename

The difference between single hyphen and double hyphen is important, as is all space placement. Just in case.

Hoppie

Hardy Heinlin

Also ... the folder in which Installer.jar sits shouldn't have the name "Aerowinx". Better change it to "DVD" or whatever.

"Aerowinx" is the name of the folder in which the final simulator files will be. The installer will generate this folder. The installer shouldn't sit within its self-generated folder.

|-|ardy